Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Altitude Question

Altitude Question
Mike656
Dec 3, 2003, 04:22 PM

I noticed on the tech specs for the Powerbooks that they have a maximum operating altitude of 10,000 feet. My question is what would happen if one were to use the computer above this elevation?

thanks

cambro
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 05:45 PM

It would explode...

Naw, I'm not sure that anything would actually happen at all. The only possible problems would center around components that are sealed. Maybe the LCD? Possibly some hard drive components? I dunno.

Basically, if it is sealed, changing the external pressure (the only relevant change going up) will put stress on it. This is why your ears pop in a plane and why soda cans burst. Presumably this is why 10000' is given as a safe operating limit.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 06:16 PM

Don't confuse the 10kft limit with operating in airplanes... They work just fine.

I wouldn't suggest hanging on to the wing and trying to operate the laptop, though.

Mike656  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I know commerical jets are pressurized . My question was in reference to driving in extremely high elevations with my computer running, since im planning a trip to Colorado next summer and plan to drive up Mt Evans, among other areas, which goes over 14,000 feet (not sure how high the road actually goes). My guess is that Mr Sea Level (Me ) will be far more affected than the computer will be, but I would like to hear from others who have done this just to be on the safe side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules