Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX mouse irritates me

OSX mouse irritates me
Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 07:12 PM

I've been using a PC for about 5 years now and before that i had a mac performa.
Being a PC and Mac user i just can't get over how the mouse feels in OSX. It's not accurate.
I can't make a quicke move toward something without missing 90% of the time. On the PC it's the opposite. I've tried different mices but it's all the same. Is there a program that i can download so it feels more direct like in OS9?

PS: i've been using my new mac for 6 months now so it's not something that anybody can get used to.
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 12:32 AM

Interesting, I don't see this behavior at all and I'm using a Kensington PocketMouse Pro with their software/drivers...works like a charm and VERY accurate...

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 12:35 AM

Have a look at USB Overdrive. A lot of PC users have trouble with the different acceleration settings on Macs, and it allows you to change them.

Kermy
May 9, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Alpha-sphere:
I've been using a PC for about 5 years now and before that i had a mac performa.
Being a PC and Mac user i just can't get over how the mouse feels in OSX. It's not accurate.
I can't make a quicke move toward something without missing 90% of the time. On the PC it's the opposite. I've tried different mices but it's all the same. Is there a program that i can download so it feels more direct like in OS9?

PS: i've been using my new mac for 6 months now so it's not something that anybody can get used to.
I totally agree with you. There's something...laggy about it. I'm going to try out USB Overdrive. Hopefully that'll give me a better feel.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

Jeff75
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 01:08 AM

disagree more. I find it irritating to use the mouse on Windows machines. The acceleration is just - well, WRONG. The main reason I went back to the Apple Pro Mouse from a Kensington multi-button mouse is the acceleration. Regardless of how much I tweaked the acceleration settings on that Kensington mouse it just didn't give me the precision that the Apple Pro Mouse does.
With a Windows mouse I feel slightly out of control. The Apple mouse just responds better. It just works.
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

Link
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 01:11 AM

My only complaint when I went from windows to OS X was how horribly slow the mouse speed was. Haxies fixed that until 10.2 and 10.3 came to be
Aloha

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 02:41 AM

Apple's always used logarithmic acceleration on cursor movement whereas X and Windows both use linear acceleration. This is specifically why cursors on Macs always seem to move so much slower than on their Unix and Windows counterparts. The intention of the logarithmic acceleration was to provide the Mac interface with more precise control over the cursor moving at lower speeds. I'm used to the speed of the Mac cursor although I can understand the desire to have it faster. Try turning up the speed of the cursor movement and move your hand faster over the mousepad, the cursor will jump even with a slight movement as long as it is quick enough.

Link
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 02:45 AM

Once 10.2 came to be I found I REALLY liked apple's mouse movement algorithm... it feels so accurate
Aloha

bborofka
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 05:26 AM

The problem with OS X's mouse movement is the acceleration is too extreme. When moving the mouse slowly, the cursor is at a near stand-still, and when moving at a quicker speed it flies across the screen way too fast. I've tried Apple Pro mouse and my Logitech MX500 with different speeds and the acceleration is still too radical. The only thing I can do is use USB Overdrive to adjust the acceleration to a reasonable value, and even that's very hard to get right.

I wish Apple would just take a cue from Microsoft and duplicate how the mouse feels in XP. It feels so right and natural, I don't even think about it. Everytime I'm on a Mac, the mouse is always too slow by default and the acceleration is too awkward.

Alpha-sphere  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 05:33 AM

They should have to copy it from XP but at leasat give use the option.

booboo
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by eVo:

I wish Apple would just take a cue from Microsoft and duplicate how the mouse feels in XP. It feels so right and natural, I don't even think about it. Everytime I'm on a Mac, the mouse is always too slow by default and the acceleration is too awkward.
People will get used to anything - Windows, Microsoft, McDonalds, XP's 'appearance' . . . the mouse movement in Windows was always out of control - way too imprecise, but it feels fast . . . like driving a very fast car with elastic steering linkage . . .

As usual, Apple got it right, but there'll always be those who like it the wrong way . . . ;-)

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 06:12 AM

Windows mouse movement irritates me... linear acceleration doesn't allow the sudden changes I make to be displayed accurately on screen.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by booboo:
People will get used to anything - Windows, Microsoft, McDonalds, XP's 'appearance' . . . the mouse movement in Windows was always out of control - way too imprecise, but it feels fast . . . like driving a very fast car with elastic steering linkage . . .

As usual, Apple got it right, but there'll always be those who like it the wrong way . . . ;-)
Ya!

Windows mouse acceleration has always felt IMPRECISE to me and WAY to EXAGGERATED.

It is crap.

The logarythmic Macintosh way is totally AWSOME.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ryju
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 09:25 AM

My cursor speed is pretty darn fast I must say.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 10:14 AM

Watch a Windows user try to hit a target with the cursor. Sure, the mouse zooms over there, but they'll always overshoot. Count the number of times the cursor overshoots this way and that way before they hit it. Then watch a person on a Mac hit it perfectly the first time. This is the difference between thoughtful research and thoughtless programming.

Chris

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 11:44 AM

I've got a Microsoft wireless mouse...

near perfection...

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by eVo:
The problem with OS X's mouse movement is the acceleration is too extreme. When moving the mouse slowly, the cursor is at a near stand-still, and when moving at a quicker speed it flies across the screen way too fast.
I agree. It's not so bad if you're used to OSX's way of working; but hopping from XP to the Mac, I really hate OS X's mouse handling. It really gets in the way of being productuve for me.

Like you mentioed above. If you move the mouse acceleration slider up to the max to get a decent speed, the mouse behaves far too slowly with small movements.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Alpha-sphere  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
I agree. It's not so bad if you're used to OSX's way of working; but hopping from XP to the Mac, I really hate OS X's mouse handling. It really gets in the way of being productuve for me.
You sound just like me
I can do the same thing faster on my PC than on the mac. Why? cause i just can't seem to get use to the way the mouse feels in OSX.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Watch a Windows user try to hit a target with the cursor. Sure, the mouse zooms over there, but they'll always overshoot. Count the number of times the cursor overshoots this way and that way before they hit it. Then watch a person on a Mac hit it perfectly the first time. This is the difference between thoughtful research and thoughtless programming.

Chris

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by chabig:

Chris
Enhance Pointer Precision, it's in the mouse control panel.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 05:32 PM

Maybe they should carbonize that mouse training program from system 7.0

What was it called again?
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Kermy
May 9, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Ya!

Windows mouse acceleration has always felt IMPRECISE to me and WAY to EXAGGERATED.

It is crap.

The logarythmic Macintosh way is totally AWSOME.
Couldn't disagree with you more. OS X's mouse acceleartion is CRAP. crApple should give us the option for both.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

JasonQG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 06:51 PM

I love this place. A guy asks for help, and instead of trying to help, you guys argue about whether he should want what he wants.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Kermy:
Couldn't disagree with you more. OS X's mouse acceleartion is CRAP. crApple should give us the option for both.
Does your hand accelerate linearly? Nope. The crApple approach is much better, more natural and more intuative.

Alpha-sphere  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by JasonQG:
I love this place. A guy asks for help, and instead of trying to help, you guys argue about whether he should want what he wants.
LOL!!
USB overdrive works great! THX