Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sending my PowerBook to Apple: Advice

Sending my PowerBook to Apple: Advice
Mike656
Sep 9, 2004, 09:18 PM

I just called AppleCare up and they basically said they will send a return package with basically no question asked, after I mentioned the uneven illumination problem on the right side (been there since day one in Dec 03 but never really bothered me until now). But I was wondering, is there anything software wise I should do before I mail my PowerBook to Apple? I have apps like SideTrack and MenuMeters installed plus some shady apps like Poisoned and BitTorrent, would it be a good idea to remove these before shipment? I was going to take care of this back in January but after reading of similar stories of people returning machines multiple times with the same issues (uneven backlight) even on new displays, am I correct in assuming that the current displays are pretty much trouble free now?

Thanks,
Mike

direinsanity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 09:20 PM

I would defenetly remove all shady apps, never can be to carfol

Holigen
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 09:21 PM

They cant get into your computer unless they have your password... Your apps are fine, but I would put a post it note somewhere saying why you sent it in. Sometimes the lines of communication can get askewed at Apple.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

dwood
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2004, 12:02 AM

they could care less what software you have on it, just make sure it's backed up incase they have to wipe it.

nate_02
Senior User
Sep 10, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Holigen:
They cant get into your computer unless they have your password... Your apps are fine, but I would put a post it note somewhere saying why you sent it in. Sometimes the lines of communication can get askewed at Apple.
You should call them and give them your password. When your PB is in for repair, they will check everything to make sure it's all working. If they don't have your password and they are unable to contact you, they will send your PB back unrepaired. If they do need to contact you, it will just take more time for your repair.

All your apps should be just fine.
-nate

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2004, 01:47 AM

Backup your data. I've heard it happening too many times where they'll swap the drive (and it may not be the problem.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules