Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much harddrive space?

How much harddrive space?
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2003, 12:05 AM

I had a 10 GB harddrive and I barely fill it... but it looks like the new version of FCP 4 takes 15GB by itself... wow... panther is probably 2 GB itself....

So that 30 GB looks small..

Would you upgrade your internal haddrive through apple or elsewhere?

how much are bigger, faster drives for the ibook?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2003, 03:19 AM

The new iBooks have many BTO hard drive options:

The 800 MHz comes standard with a 30 GB drive but it can be bumped up to 40 GB for a measly $25 and to 60 GB for $75. The 933 MHz one comes with the 40 GB standard and can go to 60 GB for $50. The 1 GHz comes with the 60 GB as standard equipment so no upgrades are available for that model.

Since the iBook's hard drive isn't replaceable without voiding the warranty, I'd suggest getting the largest hard drive possible now, or at least go from 30 to 40 GB if you want the 12". You'll definitely thank yourself in the future. Also, larger hard drives have higher densities and are thus faster even at the same rotational speed. This won't make a huge difference except maybe for the 60 GB. I've heard that the 80 GB 4200 RPM drives are quite fast, faster than other 4200 RPM drives, but you can't get that on the iBooks so it doesn't matter.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 23, 2003, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by rushmore:
I had a 10 GB harddrive and I barely fill it... but it looks like the new version of FCP 4 takes 15GB by itself... wow... panther is probably 2 GB itself....

So that 30 GB looks small..

Would you upgrade your internal haddrive through apple or elsewhere?

how much are bigger, faster drives for the ibook?
I can't comment on the drives in the new iBooks, but I can say that upgrading the hard drive isn't too bad as long as you take your time, have the right tools, and label all the screws as you remove them. Was lucky enough to have got hold of the Apple manual too.

I've got a Late 2001 iBook which came with a 15GB Fujitsu drive - now have a 5400rpm IBM Travelstar with 8MB cache. The difference is substantial.

Prices do vary, depending on what you want - exponentially as the capacity increases.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 23, 2003, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by engaged:
I can't comment on the drives in the new iBooks, but I can say that upgrading the hard drive isn't too bad as long as you take your time, have the right tools, and label all the screws as you remove them. Was lucky enough to have got hold of the Apple manual too.

I've got a Late 2001 iBook which came with a 15GB Fujitsu drive - now have a 5400rpm IBM Travelstar with 8MB cache. The difference is substantial.

Prices do vary, depending on what you want - exponentially as the capacity increases.
Oops - haven't a clue how I manages this...

Forum Links
Forum Rules