Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > CompUSA warranty on iPods

CompUSA warranty on iPods
jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2001, 11:17 AM

My poor iPod is just sitting there all wrapped up under the Christmas tree still. Aaaargh. I got it (for my wife, wink-wink) a while ago from MacConnection. Now I've been reading all over that it only comes with a 90-day warranty and such and such.

I personally don't think a 90-day warranty is all that terrible given my excellent experience with other Apple products, but I understand the general concern especially for a portable item such as the iPod.

Here's the interesting thing: I was in a CompUSA yesterday looking around and a salesperson actually was trying to push an iPod on me. When I told him that I had already purchased one elsewhere, he then offered me a one-year CompUSA warranty for it! $30 for what he called complete replacement warranty.

If anything goes wrong with my iPod within one year, I can just bring it in to CompUSA and get a new replacement. And I didn't even buy my iPod from CompUSA. It was sounding a little suspicious, so I got a manager over to confirm things.

The manager confirmed what the sales guy told me. He told me point blank that if on the 365th day from my purchase (from MacConnection, mind you) I happened to drop the iPod in the toilet and it stopped functioning (now there's a challenge!), that I could bring it in to CompUSA with my warranty papers and get a brand new one right on the spot. He mentioned that Apple will probably have a new one out by then and that my replacement would be the most equivalent model available at the time.

This sounds too good to be true. Any comments? I'm not sure if I can trust CompUSA, but it's only $30. Incidentally, they told me that the iPod would fall under their "PDA warranty".

PatGmac
Dec 24, 2001, 04:58 PM

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2001, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by jwtseng:
<STRONG>This sounds too good to be true. Any comments? I'm not sure if I can trust CompUSA, but it's only $30. Incidentally, they told me that the iPod would fall under their "PDA warranty".</STRONG>
I got mine and it falls under the "Storage warranty", at least for me. The PDA warranty I recall is much more expensive and comes with a cheezy accessory kit.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2001, 12:28 PM

Yes, it is a storage warranty and it should be for 2 years. Mine is for 2 years. Go back to CompUSA and tell them that you're supposed to get a 2 year warranty.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2001, 01:05 PM

My receipt for the warranty says:

"TAP 1YR C/I RPL $29.99"

I assume this means "Technology Assurance Plan 1 Year Carry-In Replacement"???

I'm pretty sure the manager told me it was the same one for PDAs, but I will check.

How much is the storage plan??? It is for TWO years??? And what does your receipt say? BTW, I didn't get any kind of accessory kit.

<Jayzlie>
Dec 25, 2001, 06:08 PM

I presently work for CompUSA (as a Mac Technician mind you) so I can speak accurately on the issue. I'll list the process you go through in order to get a replacement.

1. You buy a replacement plan on the item.
2. If the item ever becomes defective, you bring it to the technical services department.
3. The technician there writes you a service order.
4. If the EXACT same unit is in stock, the technician will get the new product for you, and you give them your old one.
5. You sign a quick form, and you're out the door. However, once your item is replaced, you would need to buy another replacement plan for the new unit to be covered.
6. If the exact same item is NOT in stock, the tech. will write you a service order, and you will be getting a new unit (sometimes even the newer model or a gift card) in 36-72 hours.

Hope that clears some things up.

-J

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 10:47 AM

The storage plan is $29.99, is two years, and comes with only a CD that says "mass storage on it".

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Jayzlie&gt;:
<STRONG>I presently work for CompUSA (as a Mac Technician mind you) so I can speak accurately on the issue. I'll list the process you go through in order to get a replacement.

1. You buy a replacement plan on the item.
2. If the item ever becomes defective, you bring it to the technical services department.
3. The technician there writes you a service order.
4. If the EXACT same unit is in stock, the technician will get the new product for you, and you give them your old one.
5. You sign a quick form, and you're out the door. However, once your item is replaced, you would need to buy another replacement plan for the new unit to be covered.
6. If the exact same item is NOT in stock, the tech. will write you a service order, and you will be getting a new unit (sometimes even the newer model or a gift card) in 36-72 hours.

Hope that clears some things up.

-J</STRONG>
I've got a friend who's old toshiba laptop with compusa warranty just sputtered and died recently, do you think they'll let him swap it for a powerbook?

<Jayzlie>
Dec 27, 2001, 12:00 AM

If you fight hard enough, you can get a gift card in the amount you purchased it for, and put it towards a powerbook. If you live in Boca, ask for Jay, and I'll give it to ya I'm the manager of the tech department.

J

badtzmat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2001, 07:57 PM

my wife got me an ipod for xmas with a two year warranty from the wiz. didn't even know they sold apple stuff. now i have a place right around the corner for my apple stuff.

btw how about my wife. ipod for xmas i think there may be alterior motives though. she just asked me to put her alanis morrisette cds on it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2001, 08:39 PM

It's definitely a lifesaver. CompUSA warranties rock.

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 10:39 PM

Cool. With all the positive feedback from you guys, I went out and got the 2 year mass storage replacement warranty from CompUSA for $30. I also sprang for the 2 year Laptop plan for $350. Peace of mind!

Singrfreak
Dec 27, 2001, 10:43 PM

It's possible to get a warranty on an iPod from CompUSA even though I didn't buy it from there? Do tell...!
TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 11:22 PM

Yes, you can get the CompUSA warranty without actually buying the product from CompUSA. Just go in and ask. You may need to talk to a manager to get it approved and you may need to bring in your product's serial number and purchase receipt. But those things generally aren't necessary.

For the iPod, there seems to be two options depending on how you look at it:

1 year PDA warranty or a 2 year "mass storage" warranty

Both are $30, so it doesn't take a brain surgeon for you to decide.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2001, 08:38 PM

Man i wish they had the equivalent of comp usa in Australia.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 02:24 AM

dang, i will have to just go and do that. (can i do it when my 90 day apple warantee goes or do i have to do it now? or does the year start at the purchase date? either way i'm gonna do this especially if i get a newer model (if same price of $399) wow this would be soooo easly abused, sushhhhhhhhh uhh :: I Will Not Abuse The Warranty:: ::laugh,snicker,laugh::

P.S. what do you have to be to be the manager of the mac section and what is the pay like? oh yeah is there an age restriction?? lol.

Sean Turner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2001, 03:03 AM

This is for real. CompUSA warranties are the best around.
My friend's Palm fried his motherboard (this was a known defect with the Vx series). Not only did he get a replacement, but he was allowed to upgrade to a more recent model. He paid the difference between an iPaq and the Palm Vx, and he walked out of the store with a brand-new iPaq.

The same guy's dad bought a Compaq notebook from them three years back. He had lost the warranty paper, and it had already expired. His notebook developed lines on the LCD and would cost more to repair than fix. Despite his warranty being up, they replaced his notebook with a brand-new Sony VAIO R505.

I had a Canon PowerShot S110. I lent it to another friend to take pictures at a party, and he dropped it. Of course, I was somewhat peeved, but since the CF card was alright, I went to CompUSA and got it replaced. The damage was clearly accidental and not a defect in the product that they sold.

I bought my VAIO R505 from Fry's Electronics (they were willing to bargain). I took it to CompUSA and they put a warranty on the machine for a few hundred dollars.

This allows you to upgrade to a later model if you accidentally break your machine.

In conclusion, the CompUSA warranties are an absolute lifesaver, even if you do have a crappy Compaq.
That was posted by Sean Yepez...
I am that friend... Its all true.
Sean Turner

<Jayzlie>
Dec 31, 2001, 10:03 PM

phantomdragonz, You MUST buy the CompUSA warranty no later than 30 days after you purchase the iPod (or any other product for that matter) As far as the age thing goes--18 is the requirement, but you have to be with the company at least a year and a half. I'm 21, and am the youngest they've had.

J

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2002, 12:40 AM

ok cool i will get one this wknd or maby tomorrow. bummer on the age thing oh well. thnx.

P.D.

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2002, 12:46 AM

Make sure you get the TWO year warranty for "mass storage" products instead of the ONE year warranty for PDAs. The iPod, afterall, *is* more like a hard drive than a PDA, right? What do you think, Jayzlie?

Sean Turner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 11:46 PM

You can get a 2 year warranty for PDA's too. I think its $99.
Sean Turner

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Sean Turner:
<STRONG>You can get a 2 year warranty for PDA's too. I think its $99.</STRONG>
Yeah, but if you go on the presumption that the iPod is more a storage item than a PDA (at least for now!), then the 2 year mass storage warranty is better than the 1 year PDA warranty (by one full year of coverage).

They are both $29.99. So you choose: one year or two years.

<gangeska>
Jan 2, 2002, 11:40 PM

That offer is nothing special

at the local HiFi Store in Oslo, Norway, you can get a complete 5 year replacement plan, that gives an unlimited # of replacements for 5 years for $40 for equipment under $500, and $80 for quipment under $1300. That covers everything, including if you have a party, and someone on purpose damages your equipment.

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2002, 01:47 AM

Wow, that is an exceptional replacement plan! I don't think any place in the states can offer an equivalent without paying an arm and a leg up front.

How much does this kind of warranty plan cost there in Oslo? Doesn't make sense if they make you pay twice what the iPod costs anyway.

For $30, I figure 2-years of replacement coverage is extremely good. Especially since, here in the states with CompUSA, you just bring the iPod in and they replace it. No additional fees.

<beacon73>
Jan 3, 2002, 03:28 AM

i know someone mentioned something about this but please confirm:

You HAVE to purchase the extended warranty within 30 days of your iPod purchase?

I am just barely outide of 30 days and would like to go purchase the 2 year warranty. Is the decision to allow me to do so up to the individual store manager? Is there any flexibility there?

beacon73

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2002, 10:42 AM

Someone did mention that you have to purchase the CompUSA extended warranty within 30 days of original purchase. But I cannot confirm this. I think that the decision is made by the manager on duty. Since these warranties are pure profit (probably commission based as well) I am certain that they will be more than willing to sell to you.

I would go ahead and get it soon since 30 days is what has been said here. When you go to the store, bring your purchase receipt and product packaging just in case. You may even want to bring along the iPod itself so that they can confirm that it is indeed in working order.

$30 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by &lt;beacon73&gt;:
<STRONG>i know someone mentioned something about this but please confirm:

You HAVE to purchase the extended warranty within 30 days of your iPod purchase?

I am just barely outide of 30 days and would like to go purchase the 2 year warranty. Is the decision to allow me to do so up to the individual store manager? Is there any flexibility there?

beacon73</STRONG>
NO, this is close, but still wrong.You must purchase the product (any product) within the original manufacturers warranty (90 days for iPod). After that point you can purchase an out-of-warranty plan.

See http://www.compusa.com/media/tap_terms.pdf for more information (or go to a CompUSA store).

<Jayzlie>
Jan 3, 2002, 06:18 PM

BorderX,

Sorry, that is incorrect. That may be what the website says, however in my personal experience (working there and all) you absolutely must purchase the product (any product) within 30 days, despite what the website may say.

J.
Apple Technician.
Store #481
ID# 167427

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2002, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Jayzlie&gt;:
<STRONG>BorderX,

Sorry, that is incorrect. That may be what the website says, however in my personal experience (working there and all) you absolutely must purchase the product (any product) within 30 days, despite what the website may say.

J.
Apple Technician.
Store #481
ID# 167427</STRONG>
J,

After looking through the TAP terms, I cannot find any reference to any "30-Day product purchase period". While I, and no doubt others, appreciate your contributions to this thread, I would like to try and make sure this correct. Is there anywhere you can quote such a restriction (online or from the TAP terms)?

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2002, 02:33 AM

FWIW, the CompUSA near me in San Jose, CA, sold me a warranty for my iPod and another warranty for my TiBook. Neither product was bought at CompUSA and both products were beyond 30 days from initial purchase.

Of couse, both products were within the original manufacturer's warranty periods. The store manager simply asked me to bring in the serial numbers for the items, which he entered into the computer/register system. So now I have a receipt showing the warranties as well as the specific products which they are meant to cover.

UnixDork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2002, 03:58 AM

It's really a good idea to buy these warranties. I bought a CompUSA brand laptop that died two days after I bought it. They refused to exchange it or refund my money. After complaining for a couple hours at the customer service counter, they agreed to give me a store credit that was good for three hours, after which I would just lose 1500 bucks. The laptop I bought was a regular stock item, not a clearance or demo item.

From my experience CompUSA tries real hard to hit the fine line between screwing people out of their money with fine print, and stays just on the legal side of theft.

If I had bought the plan, I imagine it would have gone much better. Consider it $30 well spent that almost turns them into an honest company that stands behind their sales. A better alternative still would be to buy from a retailer that isn't purposely trying to screw you out of your money.

<Jayzlie>
Jan 4, 2002, 07:32 PM

BorderX,

Nope, nothing written. Kind of an un-written rule that most managers go by. Of course, if someone says even "please" then we'll say, "Yeah, fine, okay" Not a firm rule, but the guys at my store are trying to enforce the rule a bit more. As long as it's purchased whithin the manufactor's warranty--we don't *Really* care Hope this helps.

J

<beacon73>
Jan 4, 2002, 10:36 PM

well,

i just got back from the Comp USA in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
I called them before I went (I live an hour and a half
away from it) and they said when I get there to speak with
the Sales Manager about buying the TAP Warranty for my iPod
that I purchased on 11/15/01 (almost 2 months ago).

I got there and they were cool about it. However, initially they
could not find the 2 year mass-storage warranty in their
computer system, only the 1 year PDA warranty. I explanined to them
that I had read online about the 2 year warrannty being offered for $30 for iPods etc. etc. etc. They made a few phone calls and finally gave me
the 2 year mass storage warranty.

If you ask me, the total 3 hour drive was well worth the time and gas!
i'll feel less stressed about my $400 iPod dying on the 91st day that I have it......

ThankGod for Macnn's formum's, as I would have never known that CompUSA offered this warranty..

beacon

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2002, 10:58 PM

beacon:

Glad everything worked out! A three hour drive, too!

Hey Jayzlie, I saw a note about CompUSA warranties on Macintouch. Apparently, someone was told at one store that the iPod was not covered under "mass storage" and that if anyone tried to collect under the mass storage warranty that they would be out of luck. What do you make of this?

I mean, if a store sells a customer a particular warranty for a particular product, can they later say that the product isn't covered because the wrong warranty was given???

I still think that it can be argued that the iPod is more like a hard drive than a PDA, per se.

<beacon73>
Jan 5, 2002, 12:15 AM

jwtseng:

dude, if i ever redeem my warranty and find out that comp-usa won't honor it i'll raise "the mother of all stank" right there in the store!!!!

correction: my LAWYER will raise "the mother of all legal stank"!!!

i took my iPod and it's box and everything it came with to the store and they entered it's serial number etc. in their system. it's not like they didn't know what the heck it was. i even asked the sales manager if they had any in stock, he said no, that they sell like hot-cakes and they can't keep them on the shelves.....

beacon

<Jayzlie>
Jan 5, 2002, 01:12 AM

jwtseng, Completely bullshit. Please tell me the person who told you that so I can fire them No, it is covered, I'll give you my personal guarantee. If you have any questions about it in particular, call me @ CompUSA (954)574-8075 option 1 hope this helps.

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2002, 03:44 AM

The text below was clipped from http://www.macintouch.com/ipod9.html#jan04

It's the 7th message down from the mark. Apparently the rep at this particular CompUSA insisted that the customer purchase the $80 2 year PDA warranty instead of the $30 2 year storage warranty.

================================================== ===
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:19:21 -0500
Subject: ipod Report: warranty

I visited CompUSA here in Framingham, MA yesterday and was told that I would need to get the 80 dollar PDA warranty on my ipod. When I told him many people had been getting the 30 dollar mass storage, he said no way, that he would sell it to me, but that I would likely experience trouble if anything happened to the unit. I would never see a check, and neither will they is basically what he said. Needless to say, I did not get the $80 warranty, I may try again at a different store, but if what he said is true, I am not sure that is so wise.

-Ketan

twong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 04:47 PM

Thanks to this forum and thread, I got my 2 year warranty for my iPod yesterday at the CompUSA in San Bruno, CA.

They made me jump through an extra hoop, though.

I received my iPod as a Christmas gift and explained that I had no receipt, so I had to fill out a form for a return. Then they made it look like a re-purchase of an iPod along with the $29.99 2 year warranty. It was explained to me that the purchase of the item and the purchase of the warranty must be on the same receipt. This was the only way they would allow me to purchase the 2 year warranty. After several minutes of questioning the procedure, I decided it wasn't excessive and went through with it.

Although I thought it was more steps than necessary, I'm happy to have my warranty.

jwtseng  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2002, 05:21 PM

This "repurchasing" process was the same thing I went through. It is an interesting method that I am quite sure looked down upon by corporate. In fact, I know have brand new dated receipts that make it look like I purchased an iPod as well as a Rev B TiBook from CompUSA. At the very least, it is like getting a free warranty extension by 1-3 months(got my Ti in October). On the other hand, a motivated person could use the new purchase receipts to return obsolete products back to the store, especially with MacWorld Expo so close at hand (within the 14 day return period).

twong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 06:49 PM

True, you could use this to return items. But the customer service manager that processed my transaction also wrote "no original receipt" on my receipt.

flyhigh37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2002, 09:38 PM

Ok, thanks to this forum I too went ahead and purchased the 2 year mass storage warranty. However, having done so, I have 2 questions.
First, the manager never asked to see my iPod or its serial number, he just glanced at a proof-of-purchase I brought in. So my reciept therefore does not have the serial number on it: problem????
Secondly, while breezing through the booklet I received, containing all of the warranty's details, I came across a page clearly stating that damage incurred from dropping or otherwise mishandling the iPod was NOT covered. This forum had leaned the other way, saying you COULD drop the thing, and get it replaced with no questions asked. So, have I just purchased a warranty that will not save me from the most likely of damages, physical harm? Thanks for any responses, and despite these questions, it certainly is a relief to have some sort of long-term coverage!!
-Flyer

Sean Turner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2002, 04:45 PM

I'm not sure about the mass storage warranty, but on the PDA warranty, I told them that my friend pushed too hard on one of the buttons and broke it off and they gave me a $400 credit to buy a new PDA.
Sean Turner

Jefe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 12:41 PM

How can CompUSA make money on this? If it does in fact cover dropping or physical damage, what would keep every owner of this warranty from slamming their iPod on the driveway near the end of the 2 years and claiming it for the newest version?

and don't say integrity.

macanonymous
Jan 11, 2002, 07:59 PM

That's my question!!!

This warranty just covers defects, right!????

Not damage. Not any kind of physical abuse. Only some sort of failure on the part of the iPod itself.

If so, $30 sounds about right.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2002, 11:33 PM

Don't worry, it does. It covers ACCIDENTAL damage. If you're walking around and somebody bumps into you, and you drop your iPod and it stops working, just make sure you staple the mass storage receipt to the original receipt. CompUSA is actually making money on the plan, because all claims go through "Voyager" or "Warrantech" which actually takes care of all of those kinds of things. I won't go into too much detail about it, but each claim requires about 3 pages of paper work for us techs Oh well, glad all of you guys have purchased your warranty--if you haven't, please don't hesitate, I actually walked to the customer service desk, and sombody was getting a new iPod right then and there, because he bought the insurance.

-J
Am I still here?

Jefe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2002, 12:12 AM

Tell me somthing, CompUSA employees, do you guys get a commission for selling this things? In my experience salesmen seem to push them pretty hard. One guy once was really interested in helping me make a purchase until he found out that I wasn't buying a warranty (this was on something other than the iPod).

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2002, 02:27 AM

Hey, Jefe...Yes we do. Sometimes the salsemen refer to them as "Spiffs". If we sell a $30 warranty, we get about $2-3. If we sell a platinum warranty for something like a laptop or desktop, we get about $80-100...but that's not all. The Salsemen on the floor get paid no matter what. It's usually about 2.6% on computers, and non-inventory parts (like motherboards and such) are around 6%...so yes they love to sell warranties...but they don't do it for themselves, the company just stresses it much, because it's pretty much like free money. Make sense?

-J
Am I still here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules