Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Desks for powerbooks with dual displays!

Desks for powerbooks with dual displays!
Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 10:48 AM

G'day all. I am the proud owner of a Gigabook, and wouldn't want it any other way (just dont tell it that I'll trade it up for a G5 powerbook later...)

Anyhow, I have a dilemma. I intend on buying a 20" lcd at some point in the next 3 months, to use as a second display with my powerbook. At the moment, I am looking at buying a new desk set up for my room (current desk is way too.... normal desk like for a computer desk)...

My goal is to have the lcd situated in the middle of the bend of the desk, or slightly to one side, with the powerbook next to it. I'd like the two screens to appear like they are connected (so same distance from me, right next to each other, etc). Sounds easy enough yeah? Problem is this. I LOVE typing on my laptops keyboard. I love the soft touch of laptop keyboards. I hate using a normal desktop keyboard (my Ti has spoiled me - nice keyboard and nice LCD - i cant go back to desktop keyboards or CRT's!). Of course I use an external mouse (MX500, love it), but the actual keyboard..... the Ti is always it.

OK then so if I have it set up such that the Ti is right in front of me at the crux of the bend, with the LCD on a side of it.... fine. But then I have to look to the side all the time when looking at the LCD, neck strain, not good. So thats not an option. And typing on the side (having the Ti tilted) is not really an option either

So I'm sort of stuck. What can I do? Anyone else gone through this? Basically I want to buy a desk soon, and a 20" lcd later, but I want to think now about the screen before I go ahead and get the desk. Also I dont like the idea of those little pull out keyboard areas (another desk in the house has one, it just feels weak, and ummm, I prefer a solid desk)

Any ideas?

(I just realised - this is such a mac like question - worrying about aesthetics )

Ooo and if anyone has a similar set up (laptop + external display + corner like desk), a picture of your set up would be appreciated

Hornet  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 02:05 AM

<bump>^</bump>

Arch.
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 04:26 AM

Sounds like you need someone to fabricate a desk for you. What area are you in?

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 11:47 AM

If you don't mind spending a chunk of money, Martin and Ziegler made the furniture for my editing system. Mine isn't quite what you're looking for, but I know they make corner desks, and you can have them custom made as well. Their website is http://www.martinandziegler.com/

-nate

hl_keyboard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 01:19 AM

I would concider putting the pb under the cinema display, i have my crt set that way right now to check colors for my print and video work, and it's quite nice (i don't neccessarily like the pb keyboard better, but i got used to it, and it slows be down to switch). basically it's a cheapo staples corner desk that has a monitor pedistal and the 17inch crt happens to have the exact same width as the pb screen. the only hassle is that the windows won't let you drag them directly throught the menu bar at the top of the screen, i have to move them over to one side then up, but i mostly find myself leaving the AE render window up there anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you solve it.
Thanks in advance.

hl_keyboard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 01:27 AM

I would concider putting the pb under the cinema display, i have my crt set that way right now to check colors for my print and video work, and it's quite nice (i don't neccessarily like the pb keyboard better, but i got used to it, and it slows be down to switch). basically it's a cheapo staples corner desk that has a monitor pedistal and the 17inch crt happens to have the exact same width as the pb screen. the only hassle is that the windows won't let you drag them directly throught the menu bar at the top of the screen, i have to move them over to one side then up, but i mostly find myself leaving the AE render window up there anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you solve it.
Thanks in advance.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2003, 07:26 PM

Yeah if I were you I would check out the Jerker table from Ikea, it has a second level and a third can be added. I would put the lcd above on the second level, and put your powerbook open right underneath it so all you have to do is look a lil up and voila.

Forum Links
Forum Rules