Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Backing up and preparing computer to sell

Backing up and preparing computer to sell
Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 12:59 AM

OK, essentially I am planning on selling my computer. I was wondering what exactly I should backup. I know I can leave my applications alone and re-download them. I should take my prefs... but from all 3 Preferences folders? And then what? Is it safe to just copy over these preferences to a potentially newer newer version of Jaguar? What if I override a new format for an app's preferences? Stuff like that...

Also I need to know what I should do to get my computer cleaned up. I know I should format my disk, and then reinstall OS 10.2 but are there any specific steps to show me what to do to make it so when the perspective buyer opens it, they are presented with the registration screen?

Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate it

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 01:16 AM

Use SuperScrubber to wipe things clean before selling it.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2003, 03:31 AM

Just back up your Home directory before wiping the drive. That contains pretty much everything you care about as a user. System related preferences should be reset anyhow since you will be using a new system.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2003, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
OK, essentially I am planning on selling my computer. I was wondering what exactly I should backup. I know I can leave my applications alone and re-download them. I should take my prefs... but from all 3 Preferences folders? And then what? Is it safe to just copy over these preferences to a potentially newer newer version of Jaguar? What if I override a new format for an app's preferences? Stuff like that...

Also I need to know what I should do to get my computer cleaned up. I know I should format my disk, and then reinstall OS 10.2 but are there any specific steps to show me what to do to make it so when the perspective buyer opens it, they are presented with the registration screen?

Sorry for all the questions but I really appreciate it
Personally, I would buy a firewire conversion kit from e.g. OWC (go via xlr8yourmac.com to get discounts) or FireWire Depot, remove your hard drive and convert it into an external using the conversion kit, then replace the one in your computer (or sell it "naked"). That way, you ensure 100% security of your data, you get to retain everything (and could even use Carbon Copy Cloner to install your current HD contents onto your new one) and you get the bonus of a portable backup drive for your new computer. You could even get a dual FW800/USB2 kit to have the latest and greatest...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2003, 06:16 AM

(Insert obligatory note about Carbon Copy Cloner here)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules