Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I need a cheap printer.

I need a cheap printer.
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 06:24 PM

At the moment I have an Epson Stylus Photo 750 which is old and starting to die (makes weird mechanical noises, like the printerhead that slams against the inside of the printer). I really liked the Epson in the beginning but I constantly need to clean the heads. I don't need a photoprinter because there is no photoprinter on the market that gives quality and durability comparable to a real photo print. Besides, printing yourself is waaaaay to expensive and time consuming (calibration, correct expensive paper etc.). So I want a printer that's cheap and reliable. It looks like a lot of you guys like Canon's printers a lot. So I took a look at the PIXMA iP1500 and iP2000 today (69 and 89 euro's respectively). Price looks good, I basically want them to print black and white clean and fast without consuming too much ink. And if I print in colour or print documents with colour images I want them to look good (compareable to or better than my Epson 750) and with correct colours(!). I've got a Laserjet for high volume black and white. Are these printers any good ? (the 2 PIXMA's) Anybody got any experience with them ? Any other good sub 100 euro printers out there ? I really don't feel like spending more for a simple printer.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

mbryda
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 06:54 PM

I have the i560 and i960 Canons (previous models) and they have been great printers. The i560 is the workhorse printer, replacing an aging and dying Epson ActionLaser 1500. Neither of the Canons have given me a hint of problems. Just feed it ink and paper and be set. I'd guess I've ran close to 2k sheets through the i560 since I got it in April.

BTW: You may want to rethink that inkjets don't last as long as real photo prints. It's been shown that real photo prints are only good for 25-50 years. Epsons are good for 75-100 and just as durable. The one great thing about digital is we can just reprint them...

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 08:26 PM

Based on recent models I've seen (and I own an i560), I'd definitely recommend getting something by Canon these days.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 08:36 PM

I LOVE my Canon i860. I had countless Epsons that failed after a few months... they're basically disposable printers!! The Canons are fast, quiet and don't clog like my Epsons did. Highly reccomended!

Forum Links
Forum Rules