Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sex before marriage: Yay or Fu<k No?

View Poll Results: Sex before marriage:
Poll Options:
Yes, I've been hittin' it since grade school, and proud of it! 156 votes (81.25%)
No, I've got a strong set of hands and/or some extra batteries! 36 votes (18.75%)
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll
Sex before marriage: Yay or Fu<k No? (Page 5)
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
That's not entirely true. I'm sure it garners respect within the religious community, at least with the relatively devout.

Yes but even then people start wondering if you're gay or a child molester. Unprovable to those people that it's a reiigous choice. (But then again do those people matter?)

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tyler McAdams
Yes but even then people start wondering if you're gay or a child molester.
Really? Even if they're known to date?

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 11:30 AM

Really? Even if they're known to date?
Yeah, in some cases. You act nice, you look like a losser for some reason. "I bet he's really gay." I'd personally like a not a virgin punch card that specifies my sexual preference. Just to shut people up.

Me on warcraft yesterday:

Sexygirl: How about giving a girl a win?
Thaidog: ...
Sexygirl: I'll be your gilrfrined
- end of game
Sexygirl: You're no fun!
Thaidog: I'm 30 years old
Sexygirl: A 30 year old virgn... how patetic!
Thaidog: no... gg - click - *rolls eyes*

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 11:34 AM

Interesting.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Special? Yes. Better than? No, we are all in the same boat. I would say however, they would be better OFF than most of us that did not wait. But that is ust MHO.

Oh it's EVERYTHING about self control. It takes more than just belief. and "No ones belief being better than another" Highly subjective. I don't buy into this "feel good I am ok you are ok" no matter what you do thought process. I believe there is a right and wrong.

Being an atheist requires no self control. So that would negate any such ideal. Being an atheist just requires you to be.

Again, subjective.
i believe "right and wrong" can be subjective. if atheism is a belief, i think it can require self control to believe it, but there may be no laws in atheism that require self control.
( Last edited by dav; Feb 28, 2006 at 01:09 PM. )
one post closer to five stars

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 11:40 AM

Interesting.
These days I've given up. I just act like an asshole and fall in line with everybody else. Every woman I've seen seems to be preprogrammed to respond to all the regular idiosyncrasies of a "typical male". And for the large majority that's all they want because they're easy to control and toy with.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 12:49 PM

Common sense dictates these things. I've never bashed myself in the head with a hammer, but common sense tells me I wont like it.
We're not talking about grievous bodily harm. When I first saw a certain kind of sorbet, I thought it looked pretty nasty (don't ask me why). Wasn't at all interested in partaking. Finally somebody convinced me to try it, though, and I discovered I liked it a lot. Similarly, I once bought a cake from a bakery that looked so good I just had to have it. That cake tasted like freakin' cardboard.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 01:06 PM

These days I've given up. I just act like an asshole and fall in line with everybody else. Every woman I've seen seems to be preprogrammed to respond to all the regular idiosyncrasies of a "typical male". And for the large majority that's all they want because they're easy to control and toy with.
I'm sorry that you feel that kind of pressure to conform. Without any condescension whatsoever, I find this to be a very sad post.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen
I'm sorry that you feel that kind of pressure to conform. Without any condescension whatsoever, I find this to be a very sad post.
I don't feel the pressure to conform. The puch card thing was a joke. I wouldn't be talking about it if I felt it was something I had to strictly conform to. It does however get, very, very old.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Binarymix
Wait? Pfft.

Do any other animals have to wait till marriage to give up their virginity? No? I didn't think so.
So there's little distinction between you and a mongoose in heat?

Kr0nos  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
When I first saw a certain kind of sorbet, I thought it looked pretty nasty (don't ask me why). Wasn't at all interested in partaking. Finally somebody convinced me to try it, though, and I discovered I liked it a lot…
That's a very good point.

What's there not to enjoy/like about sex? It's fun and judging from various scientific (and personal! *g*) studies, healthy.

It's just something I enjoy doing. If it wasn't pleasurable it wouldn't even be an issue in my life (I really don't care about the whole "procreation thing"). It can be an ego-boost, but for me it usually isn't. And if people didn't ask, I wouldn't tell (brag to) anybody about it.

I really don't see any point in "sensoring" my feelings. Now the games people play surrounding the whole issue, is a totally different thing. It's something I can really do without.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 03:43 PM

I haven't checked this thread in over a day before about 20 minutes ago, and I've been skimming through some of the responses. I'm going to make a few points.

1. I'm not on a high horse, Chuck. I am proud of it, but I didn't condemn one person for their views on this subject. Do I disagree with them? Yes. Do I call them idiots? Absolutely not.
2. Yes, I am a Christian. I'm a preacher's son who began working as a pentecostal church's youth leader a little over two years ago.
3. My wife will never, ever wonder after sex whether or not I'm comparing her to other women. The insecurities that many women face will not be a part of her life. The same applies to me.
4. Neither of us will have to worry about what kind of STD's we might unknowingly be bringing into our marriage. No elaboration required.
5. We're marrying one another because we deeply love each other, not because we have sexual feelings that we've been supressing. We've dated on and off for 3 1/2 years, so we're very familiar with each other in all but one aspect. If sex is about 5% of a marriage, as another poster discussed, then it pales in comparison to the 95% that we are already well on our way to honing to perfection.
6. We have already discussed how open we need to be when it comes to sexual interaction. As Christians, we believe that sex is a gift from God for those who are married, and that we have a responsibility to one another and to our marriage to make it as good as possible. When the time comes, we've agreed to be open and honest with one another. We'll discuss our needs, ideas, and such on a regular basis.

Lastly, I do feel that I have a right to be proud of my decision. If a vegetarian refuses to eat meat, and feels a sense of accomplishment and pride that he/she has been successful in accomplishing that which he/she believes is right, then what's wrong with that? I've decided, based on my spiritual relationship with God, that I don't want the lifestyle that others have chosen. It doesn't fit what I feel is right. Good for me, and good for everyone else who believes that sex is more than a social activity.

hart
Senior User
Feb 28, 2006, 03:53 PM

atheism is not hedonism, nor does it preclude "moral" behavior. It just means you don't believe there is a god or "higher power". If anything, leading a moral and good life would require all the more self control for someone who does not think there is any god to reward them, either in life or after death, if they follow the rules.

I am so tired of people equating atheism with immorality without anyone calling them on it.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 06:32 PM

Nothing gets you less respect as a male who's still a virgin.
I would say that said more about the people that felt that way, than the male virgin.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 06:57 PM

I would say that said more about the people that felt that way, than the male virgin.
The same could be said for walking around naked.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 09:03 PM

Well it could be said yes. Wouldn't make much relevancy, but it could be said.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 09:14 PM

Hit it while you have the chance. Seriously. DO NOT WAIT. After marriage you WILL get LESS ********. Mark my words. I am NOT married nor will I EVER get married. You WILL see what I mean.

Tom

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by TomR
Hit it while you have the chance. Seriously. DO NOT WAIT. After marriage you WILL get LESS ********. Mark my words. I am NOT married nor will I EVER get married. You WILL see what I mean.

Tom
Meh, I know people married that still hit in nightly.

IN ANY relationship you are in, married or not, sex can decrease.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomR

Tom
Learn how to commit to someone while you have the chance. Seriously. You WILL have LESS LOVE throughout your entire lifetime. Mark my words. You WILL see what I mean.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2006, 11:10 PM

Learn how to commit to someone while you have the chance. Seriously. You WILL have LESS LOVE throughout your entire lifetime. Mark my words. You WILL see what I mean.
There are no absolutes.What might be right for you might be wrong for him.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 12:34 AM

I think you're right. All things being equal, it's a very hard role to play in mainstream society. I also think that men like that might be a breath of fresh air for woman kind. Once again all things equal. I really don't think there's a harder piece of equipment to manage besides maybe a fortune 100 company. just being a virgin because it's the right thing to do.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 08:50 AM

This discussion is going well....and going nowhere . but its a good thing to discuss it.

I had another question for those of you who feel that sex before marriage is worth promoting....

Alright...so, seeing as how the battle for sexual liberation has been faught(and for the most part won), would you consider fighting for sexual liberation after marriage ? i mean...if sex before marriage is so acceptable and natural,etc. why does "marriage" have to include a condition that you give it up and stick to just one person and effectively taking your sexual freedom away ? why include such an abomonation of such a natural biological function ? why does it have to matter to the 2 people getting "married" ?

Surely if they "love" each other...they want the other to be happy, right ? and since sex is such a natural thing, why is it expected that the 2 people in a marriage only have sex with each other and not other people ? i reckon...people who think sex before marriage is acceptable and great..... would have no problem supporting this. after all, why change something that feels natural and good ? and then you wouldnt be doing anything wrong either.

That way....you can remove the notion of having sex with just one person for the rest of your life. And so, a couple of times a week, you and your partner can have sex if u wish, and other nights...you both can be seeing other people and enjoying a natural, healthy and more importantely UNINHIBITED sex life. of course you will still love each other, nothing will change that.

Botton line: if you want your partner to be "happy", why are you effectively taking away their sexual freedom ? if u didnt mind them sleeping with 1,2...or even hundreds of people before you met. why does it matter after u get married ?

On a side note.... this notion of "marriage" in todays society has becom such a flimsy notion it's laughable that people still want to partake in such a ritual that involves taking oaths that can be so easily broken and accepted. it's pointless imo.

I guess, being a Catholic i dont see a lot of divorces, etc, and its definately harder for me(or us) to accept as a viable "solution"...so we tend to stick to it. But i'd say most of my non-catholic friend's parents are dicorced, etc. weird....but anyways.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
why does "marriage" have to include a condition that you give it up and stick to just one person and effectively taking your sexual freedom away ?
As far as a Christian standpoint is concerned it has been told to me that marriage is there for exactly that. To govern your sexual immoraity sense it can not be controlled. The idea is to be chased to the point to abstain from sex all together. In older Hebrew teachings *all* sexual things are a sin. That includes looking at your neighbors wife the wrong way, thoughts, masterbation and of course sex.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
There are no absolutes.What might be right for you might be wrong for him.
Note that I was responding in kind. As a joke.

As for there being no absolutes, you will have no luck in any attempt to prove that assertion. You might as well be saying "The people on planet Kizloc are very friendly."

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 09:59 AM

Sexual freedoms also means the freedom to choose only one partner.

Not everyone has the urge to hump everything they sniff.

I wouldn't call that natural, so much as a perversion.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:09 AM

being a virgin because it's the right thing to do.
highly subjective.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dav
highly subjective.
Yes, this entire discussion is.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 10:32 AM

I guess one could make the argument that we have evolved from a monogamous society to a "serial"-monogomus society. But then one has to wonder why the physical/mental act of "marriage" is still so popular these days ? defeats the purpose imo.

Or maybe it's just part of the mating ritual to woo the potential partner ?

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dav
highly subjective.
That's not nessasarily my view. Your life should be your life to live and I don't judge people by their actions (not always anyway). I'm just telling you what's been told me. It's not something I can say I adhere to or be holier than thou about either.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I guess one could make the argument that we have evolved from a monogamous society to a "serial"-monogomus society. But then one has to wonder why the physical/mental act of "marriage" is still so popular these days ? defeats the purpose imo.

Or maybe it's just part of the mating ritual to woo the potential partner ?
Marriage serves two (main) functions nowadays. Taxes and child-rearing. But you don't need it for those. People get married more for the the meaning, the security, and probably societal pressure to some degree.

Of course, I think some people get married because they don't know what else they should be doing with their lives.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 11:08 AM

That's not nessasarily my view. Your life should be your life to live and I don't judge people by their actions (not always anyway). I'm just telling you what's been told me. It's not something I can say I adhere to or be holier than thou about either.
i understand that's your view, and i respect that. i don't consider it a right or wrong issue.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 12:46 PM

Well it could be said yes. Wouldn't make much relevancy, but it could be said.
My point is, yes, the stick might be up somebody else's butt, but it becomes your problem if you draw their attention.
Chuck
___

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 01:11 PM

As for there being no absolutes, you will have no luck in any attempt to prove that assertion. You might as well be saying "The people on planet Kizloc are very friendly."
I am not entirely sure what you're trying to say. All I am saying is that what is right for one person might not be for another. As long as no harm is done both should have the right to live their lifes as they see fit.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 04:55 PM

Isn't saying "there are no absolutes" an absolute?

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by hart
atheism is not hedonism, nor does it preclude "moral" behavior. It just means you don't believe there is a god or "higher power". If anything, leading a moral and good life would require all the more self control for someone who does not think there is any god to reward them, either in life or after death, if they follow the rules.

I am so tired of people equating atheism with immorality without anyone calling them on it.
Most philosophers who've studied morality and religion have come to the conclusion that morality and good and evil cannot really exist without a deity.

Without a higher power dictating what is right and wrong, any view point on what is moral and what is immoral is just one persons opinion against another.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 05:47 PM

As far as a Christian standpoint is concerned it has been told to me that marriage is there for exactly that. To govern your sexual immoraity sense it can not be controlled. The idea is to be chased to the point to abstain from sex all together. In older Hebrew teachings *all* sexual things are a sin. That includes looking at your neighbors wife the wrong way, thoughts, masterbation and of course sex.
I've read a fair bit of old Hebrew teaching, and certainly none of the old Hebrew law suggests that sex is a sin!

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 05:48 PM

are they? I'll have to go there for next year's summer holiday!

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Uriel
Isn't saying "there are no absolutes" an absolute?
heheh... now that's an interesting argument. Following that logic (which appears correct to me), the statement proves itself wrong very clearly.

The statement "there are no absolutes" itself says that it cannot be "absolutely" correct, which means it cannot be correct at all.

Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 06:27 PM

Considering your sex drive reduces naturally after your mid twenties..I'd say God wants us to spread it around early and often.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
I'd say my horny dick wants to spread it around early and often.
Fixinated.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Brass
Most philosophers who've studied morality and religion have come to the conclusion that morality and good and evil cannot really exist without a deity.

Without a higher power dictating what is right and wrong, any view point on what is moral and what is immoral is just one persons opinion against another.
For another take, read Plato's Euthyphro. (It doesn't directly address the issue of atheist morality, but it lays the basic foundation within the context of polytheism.)
Chuck
___

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 07:00 PM

Considering your sex drive reduces naturally after your mid twenties..I'd say God wants us to spread it around early and often.
I'm 30 and it still won't let go. Not really sure if i want it to either.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 1, 2006, 07:31 PM

I'm 30 and it still won't let go. Not really sure if i want it to either.
Don't do it because of pressure that is for sure. You will regret it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 07:33 PM

Don't let your sex drive decrease because of pressure?
Chuck
___

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 10:10 PM

Considering your sex drive reduces naturally after your mid twenties.

Speak for yourself. I have no such thing to report.

TheHobbyMan151
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 10:18 PM

I wouldn't if I already knew we would be married but otherwise I would go for yes with te GF.
TheHobbyMan151 enjoys sunsets, puppies, and belly lint. He can change this signature at any time, provided it doesn't include a huge image, an animated gif, or Carrot Top. I hate that guy. -DH

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 11:03 PM

I approve of sex before, during, and after marriage.

Just do it well.
I, ASIMO.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ASIMO
I approve of sex before, during, and after marriage.

Just do it well.
That would make for an interesting ceremony.

24klogos
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2006, 11:24 PM

all i got to say fellas, titties and beer. before, during and after marriage, u dig?
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 11:45 PM

Don't do it because of pressure that is for sure. You will regret it.
I try not to. I struggle with it. But rest assured, if it does get the best of me they'll be somebody somewhere that will pop out of the wood work to make sure I've done it for ALL the right reasons. At 30 that's the one piece of advise I can give you and be absolutely sure of.
( Last edited by Tyre MacAdmin; Mar 2, 2006 at 09:53 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules