Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.2.1 and Apple DVD player

9.2.1 and Apple DVD player
siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2001, 07:25 AM

Something I noticed last night, when trying to output the DVD to the S-Video port, the Apple DVD player would lock up.

I could start a movie on the powerbooks monitor and as soon as I tried to drag it to the TV screen, it would die.

Worked fine under 9.1...
iMac therefor iAm

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2001, 09:39 AM

Well ever since updating to 9.2.1, my powerbook G3 will crash when I insert a cd or dvd. It's going back to apple for a repair today, when I get it back, I'll probably revert back to 9.1 since I have no issues with that update.

Originally posted by siegzdad:
<STRONG>Something I noticed last night, when trying to output the DVD to the S-Video port, the Apple DVD player would lock up.

I could start a movie on the powerbooks monitor and as soon as I tried to drag it to the TV screen, it would die.

Worked fine under 9.1...</STRONG>
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Fredo
Senior User
Aug 23, 2001, 07:44 PM

siegzdad, try giving dvd player more memory.
Who are the Brain Police?

RWoelk
Senior User
Aug 24, 2001, 10:19 PM

Check your monitors control panel's resolution values for "Television 2," I believe it's called, and make sure it is set to 640x480. Normally, one gets an error message when this is set wrong by default, but after the update, I didn't get one. Everything froze in blotchy grey screens. I just wrestled with this last night and finally got it to work.

siegzdad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2001, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the suggenstions, RWoelk gets the gold star. When I checked the Monitors Control Panel, the TV was set to 800x600. I set it to 640, and everything started playing fine.

iMac therefor iAm

RWoelk
Senior User
Aug 26, 2001, 02:46 PM

Glad to hear your problem is solved and all working for you. Mine is still a tad buggy (very minor stuff) here and there, but I am relatively sure this has more to do with my trashing my old DVD preferences when working the problem. I'm confident as I use it more, these issues will resolve themselves. My Ti and Pismo are my main DVD players so I am delighted to have them working again...

ccenkner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2001, 07:51 PM

Hey, I'm having the same problem. I've got a G4 500MHz(AGP) w/512MB RAM. Just upgraded to 9.2.1, and now I can't play DVDs. The disc mounts on the desktop, but when I open DVD Player, none of the play options are available. I increased the amount of memory to DVD Player to ~80MB, but that still hasn't done anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Chris

wouter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2001, 08:14 AM

Could you help me on this one:

I updated to 9.2.1 on my Ti 400/128 with OSX. When I start DVD it says it "can't find the application". So I added the DVD with the 9.2.1 install (not automatically included?!), and the app is there. But when I start DVD I get the same error message. When I try to reinstall from 9.2.1, I see it has not been installed according to the installation manager! Back and forward....

And I miss the DVDs...

Thanks,
Wouter

Originally posted by siegzdad:
<STRONG>Something I noticed last night, when trying to output the DVD to the S-Video port, the Apple DVD player would lock up.

Worked fine under 9.1...</STRONG>
never save on money

Forum Links
Forum Rules