Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any 802.11N upgrade card exists for powerbooks?

Any 802.11N upgrade card exists for powerbooks?
ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 06:40 PM

Does any 802.11N wireless upgrade card exists for powerbooks, specifically the internal varieties?

Thanks.
I, ASIMO.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2008, 06:49 PM

Simple answer, "NO." Complicated answer" the internal PowerBook AirPort card is the original, modified "PC card" form factor device. Note the "modified" wording; it's not just a regular PC card because it has no built-in antenna (among a few other things). Also, I don't know of many "N" PC card form factor wireless cards; I don't know if any exist at all.

USB may be an option, especially if your PB has USB ports, but still they'd be USB 1.1 at best, right? I think your best option would be to get a small and portable WiFi bridge or game adapter (which are basically the same sort of device).

Other people may have more info for you on options, but I doubt that they'll have a real "internal" option for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Mar 24, 2008, 08:25 PM

As stated, the answer is "no." The older machines do not have the antenna infrastructure to support 802.11n. It's simply not possible. There may be external solutions (USB stick or PC card) that may work for you if you must have 802.11n.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ASIMO  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 02:17 PM

Thank you, gents. I figured it was more complicated than just fabricating a compatible card. Still, I figured that an antenna would be just an antenna, and that the brunt of the work was in making upgrade cards that would fit the various form factors...which upon further thought would still be a harry predicament considering the ever-changing internals of laptops, particularly macs.

Are you aware of any laptop (not just macs) that is upgradeable in this internal fashion?

Thank you.
I, ASIMO.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 25, 2008, 03:49 PM

There are a few N pc card form factor devices available.
None have good driver support for Macintosh.

The antennae are no issue, the built in antennae for an older mac can work just fine (same 2.4ghz band, and you can get by with one antennae, where two are better.

The best thing for you to do is get a USB stick though. You could go through the hassle of getting an N card, breaking off the antennae, soldering on an antennae port... but it's so much effort, for so little reward.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2008, 08:17 PM

17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 26, 2008, 08:39 AM

I'm very surprised that anyone has gone to the trouble to build a PC card solution (supporting "legacy" hardware) for an N adapter (future hardware). Not that I'm troubled-especially if there are OS X drivers for the thing-just surprised. Thanks, tinkered.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ASIMO  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 02:11 PM

Thank you again, gents.

Yeah, I do think it odd that there isn't a version for Macbook Pros. I would think that there is a larger market for them than for Powerbooks.
I, ASIMO.

ibook_steve
Mar 26, 2008, 03:54 PM

All MBPs have N support built in. Why would anyone produce such a product?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ASIMO  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
All MBPs have N support built in. Why would anyone produce such a product?

Steve
D'oh! Goes to show you how out of touch I am with the latest and greatest mac notebooks. Thanks for the note.

Still loving my 12" Powerbook G4. Just wish it were a pound or two lighter like the Air.
I, ASIMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules