Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just saw another Windows 7 commercial

Just saw another Windows 7 commercial
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 12:05 AM

...and they were focusing on the "snap feature"...again. That's the second or third W7 commercial I've seen where that's the focal point. I'm not sure why they're so proud of themselves for putting this in their OS. Seems like a more cumbersome, less useful variant of Expose. Why put so much effort in marketing this small, marginally useful feature? Wow, you can automatically get two windows to "snap" side by side. :/ Am I missing something here, is it really worth 2-3 different commercials?
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2010, 12:24 AM

To answer your first question: Because there really isn't much else to market. I'm not really trying to slam Windows 7, but of all the new features, none are really marketable. It's like how 10.6 really doesn't have anything marketable either. Sure, 64-bit support, but who's gonna care? If that's something you do care about, then you're probably already going to know about it.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 12:54 AM

Exactly, I'm not trying to be a hater, I just don't get why they're so proud of themselves for finally including simple little features that have been around (more or less) on other operating systems for years.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Exactly, I'm not trying to be a hater, I just don't get why they're so proud of themselves for finally including simple little features that have been around (more or less) on other operating systems for years.
I didn't actually know that this was a feature from any other commercial OS. It certainly isn't in OS X.

Without having ever played with Windows 7, it actually does seem like a pretty useful feature to me. If it saves time and the implementation is elegant, I could see a variant of it making it's way into the OS X UI at some stage. When I say that, I'm referring to automatic window resizing as an idea, not necessarily the exact "snap" feature the way Microsoft has done it in 7.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2010, 02:30 AM

I use Windows 7 as my primary OS. It use the snap feature maybe once every 2 weeks, and it never quite does what I was hoping for.

Windows 7 is nice, but there's nothing that I can really see that is marketable. Frankly it's just like OS X and Xp had a child...nothing much to say about it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I use Windows 7 as my primary OS. It use the snap feature maybe once every 2 weeks, and it never quite does what I was hoping for.

Windows 7 is nice, but there's nothing that I can really see that is marketable. Frankly it's just like OS X and Xp had a child...nothing much to say about it.
Off topic question, seeing as the opportunity to ask it comes up:

How would you compare the UI learning curve, for a user moving from XP to Windows 7 as opposed to moving from XP to OS X (10.5 or 10.6)?

My 60 year old mom needs a new computer and is certainly a bit of an 'old dog' so I'm hesitant to buy her an Apple machine due to the learning curve, though I've been wondering if having her move to Windows 7 would be any less difficult.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2010, 04:16 AM

I'd never seen the snap thing before- it's not a bad idea. I have to compare 2 docs side by side all the time and can see it being quite useful.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post

How would you compare the UI learning curve, for a user moving from XP to Windows 7 as opposed to moving from XP to OS X (10.5 or 10.6)?

My 60 year old mom needs a new computer and is certainly a bit of an 'old dog' so I'm hesitant to buy her an Apple machine due to the learning curve, though I've been wondering if having her move to Windows 7 would be any less difficult.
It's not that bad. Of course you can also change the theme to Windows classic if that helps. I'd probably disable Aero so she's not distracted by shiny UI enhancements.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2010, 04:19 PM

Yeah, what iMitch said. You can make the taskbar act like the old one, you can set the theme to classic, and there's basically no learning curve.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend and I saw this the other night and she said to me, "Wasn't that feature that other guy's idea?" (referring to the first commercial with the dude in the bathroom claiming it to be his idea)

Silly marketers.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah, my girlfriend and I saw this the other night and she said to me, "Wasn't that feature that other guy's idea?" (referring to the first commercial with the dude in the bathroom claiming it to be his idea)

Silly marketers.
Exactly. You'd think they could find some other feature to highlight.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2010, 07:30 PM

Well, it's a useful feature for Windows because of how its windowing system works. When applications monopolize the entire screen, you have to rely on the task bar. Flip3D is completely useless, so the ability to organize application windows in a more appealing manner is probably a godsend for your average Windows user.

I thought it was funny when Windows PCs finally got OS-level support for multiple monitor in Windows 98. Mac users had been using dual setups since 1984, three or more in 1986; then 14 years later people are going apeshit over having two screens at once on Windows. I couldn't figure out what the commotion was until my friend explained it to me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post

What's wrong with staying on XP from her POV?
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Well, it's a useful feature for Windows because of how its windowing system works. When applications monopolize the entire screen, you have to rely on the task bar. Flip3D is completely useless, so the ability to organize application windows in a more appealing manner is probably a godsend for your average Windows user.

I thought it was funny when Windows PCs finally got OS-level support for multiple monitor in Windows 98. Mac users had been using dual setups since 1984, three or more in 1986; then 14 years later people are going apeshit over having two screens at once on Windows. I couldn't figure out what the commotion was until my friend explained it to me.
You mean like USB and CD burning support?

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
What's wrong with staying on XP from her POV?
Nothing at all, it's only the fact that getting XP on a modern machine is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for the OT answers, guys; I won't push this anyfurther sideways.

Cheers.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 11:19 AM

I don't get it.
Wasn't comparing two documents side by side a simple right click and "tile windows"??

How is this faster? How is it better?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001 View Post
You mean like USB and CD burning support?
That too. I think XP was the first version of Windows that had built in CD burning support without requiring 3rd party software.

Did Windows 7 finally get DVD play back? Or do you still have to use 3rd party software?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

hayesk
Apr 30, 2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'd never seen the snap thing before- it's not a bad idea. I have to compare 2 docs side by side all the time and can see it being quite useful.
You have to click on two windows and jerk them to the side of the screen. Without it, you have to click on two windows, move them to the side, and resize them (if they aren't big enough already. Does it really save that much time? Is this really revolutionary? And if you are using two docs in the same app, wouldn't choosing "Tile Windows" from the Window menu be easier?

How about this - you have your two windows "snapped", taking up the whole screen, and you want to copy an image from one window to the desktop (or another window). How do you do that exactly? On a Mac, I'd just start dragging the image, press the Exposé desktop key (or regular Exposé key for another app's window), and let go of the mouse button - easy.

hayesk
Apr 30, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Agreed. When I explained this to some coworkers once, they said "but now we have it, so it's no big deal." I said "but what about all the other features I have now, but you don't." Windows still doesn't have an Exposé equivalent.

hayesk
Apr 30, 2010, 04:11 PM

So, after I posted my last reply, I tried dragging the windows myself - well, the right one is a bit of a pain since the resize control is on the right side, so I made two AppleScripts and stuck it in the Scripts menu. You can enable the script menu in the AppleScript editor prefs. I named the scripts "window snap left" and "window snap right"

Code:
tell application "Finder" set screenBounds to bounds of window of desktop set frontmostApplication to name of the first process whose frontmost is true end tell set screenWidth to item 3 of screenBounds set screenHeight to item 4 of screenBounds --tell current application tell application frontmostApplication --display dialog frontmostApplication as string set myWindows to windows whose visible is true get bounds of item 1 of myWindows -- left set bounds of item 1 of myWindows to {1, 22, screenWidth / 2, screenHeight - 60} -- right -- set bounds of window 1 to {screenWidth / 2, 22, screenWidth + 1, screenHeight - 60} end tell
That's the left one. Comment the line under -- left and uncomment under -- right to make the right one. I hard coded 60 because that's my dock height, but it could be dynamic I support. To use it, choose the command from the script menu and it will act on the chosen window.

There, now we have "snap" too.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 04:17 PM

^
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2010, 05:48 PM

^^^ This definitely deserves two different commercials on primtetime network television.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

DrTacoMD
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
You have to click on two windows and jerk them to the side of the screen. Without it, you have to click on two windows, move them to the side, and resize them (if they aren't big enough already. Does it really save that much time? Is this really revolutionary? And if you are using two docs in the same app, wouldn't choosing "Tile Windows" from the Window menu be easier?
Well not every program even has a Window menu (or a menu bar at all, for that matter), so having it at the OS-level is a good idea. Plus, it remembers the size of the window from before you snapped it -- just pull the window off the side, and it switches back to its previous size. Honestly, I don't use it too often, but it's kind of handy when I do. Not a KILLER feature, but just a little nicety.
Trust me. I'm a Taco.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 13, 2010, 01:05 PM

I just saw a new one of these last night, I don't even remember the feature it talked about... but I do remember the guys introducing himself, his name.... Mac.

I can't YouTube at work, but I'm sure it's out there. (Anyone else?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules