Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > sticky wireless keyboard. How to fix?

sticky wireless keyboard. How to fix?
Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2011, 09:08 PM

Ugh, I spilled something onto my Apple Wireless keyboard and now some of the keys are sticky. Last time this happened, I threw it in the dishwasher w/o any batteries and no detergent. Problem is, the hot water probably killed the keyboard.

Any safe method of washing out the keyboard/unsticking keys?
2011 27" iMac: Core i7 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HD,

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 10:58 PM

I was going to say dishwasher.

When you did it last time was it on the top rack? Likewise, was hot wash/dry turned off?

Sorry if these are irritating questions.

Rev2Liv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2011, 03:01 AM

i forget which rack I put it on, but the fatal flaw was setting it on normal cycle and i think between the harsh hot water and the drying cycle, it f'ed up my keyboard.

This time i want a tried and trued method.

I was thinking this time,

1. taking out the batteries
2.rinsing it under the sink with windex to get the sticky gunk out and afterward, rigorously shaking out the water.
3. hang it upside down
4. Have a fan blow on it at high setting to help dry it out.

At this point, i don't want to sacrifice another keyboard, so someone please chime in!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 05:31 AM

A good method of drying things out is throwing it in a bag of rice and then sealing it (otherwise the rice will pull moisture from the air and not what you're trying to dry).

This is going to be slower than the fan method, but is really good at drying inaccessible parts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 09:28 AM

I don't have the technical knowledge to comment with authority on the Windex, but my instincts say you would want to rinse that so thoroughly afterwards, it may make more sense to just use water.

-Q-
Oct 16, 2011, 09:46 AM

I'd avoid windex and use some isopropyl alcohol to soak/rinse the keyboard. The alcohol shouldn't harm the electronics and will dry significantly faster than water or windex.

Rev2Liv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I don't have the technical knowledge to comment with authority on the Windex, but my instincts say you would want to rinse that so thoroughly afterwards, it may make more sense to just use water.
While water is a functional rinsing agent, i don't see it as a cleaning agent. Ammonia might be too strong as a cleaning agent, but i'm wondering about the effects of alcohol on the rubber.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 03:25 PM

If it's warm enough, water should reliquefy the goo. It shouldn't need to be scalding, just a little above body temperature. Likewise, you can get some pressure going from a faucet.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv View Post
...I spilled something onto my Apple Wireless keyboard... Last time this happened...
So you've done this twice...how often do you spill stuff on your keyboard? Maybe take a look at a keyboard cover (yuck) or change your behavior to minimize the possibility.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2011, 07:54 PM

Keyboard condom.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv View Post
While water is a functional rinsing agent, i don't see it as a cleaning agent. Ammonia might be too strong as a cleaning agent, but i'm wondering about the effects of alcohol on the rubber.
Water is the "universal solvent" according to my college chemistry professor though I'd opt for something that evaporates a little quicker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules