Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remove Apps in Launchapd

Remove Apps in Launchapd
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2015, 01:55 PM

Hi,

I'm having trouble removing unnecessary apps in Launch Pad. These are apps that do not have the "x" next to the icon (when you holds the app down). I tried this Youtube video and the script did not work in Terminal. Any suggestions?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2015, 10:13 AM

Anyone have any suggestions?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 7, 2015, 09:28 PM

There's a Launchpad Manager app (or two), but you could always just move the icons into a "last page" of the Launchpad, so they won't bother you.

There are a lot of similarities between the iOS Launchpad and the OS X Launchpad, and one is that the apps in your Applications folder will show up as shortcuts in the Launchpad. You can arrange the shortcuts any way you like, but if you delete them (via the X) I think you're also deleting the app.

So far, that's as much as I've been able to fathom of this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reckonankit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2015, 04:06 AM

Launch the Terminal and enter the following command, replacing “APPNAME” with the name of the application you want to remove from Launchpad:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db "DELETE from apps WHERE title='APPNAME';" && killall Dock

If you want to remove apps from launchpad using launchpad make sure only apps who download from Mac App store can remove
Hold down the Option key, and once the icons start jiggling click the “X” shown in the corner of icons that you want to delete.
For all other apps you can follow to first method

Forum Links
Forum Rules