Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Earthquake in S. Asia

Earthquake in S. Asia
rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 12:21 AM

The latest story from MSNBC says 18,000 dead. That's a staggering number, and one likely to go even higher as they get to remote areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan. The quake was a 7.6 magnitude; big, but not overwhelmingly so. I know New Orleans is a lot closer to home for many of us, but hey, a life is a life. This makes the recent hurricanes look pretty minor when you figure the cost in human lives.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 12:29 AM

definitely puts things into proper perspective, meaning ya don't know how good ya got it, till you hear about something like this.

very sad

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 12:45 AM

7.6 is a massive earthquake.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 01:16 AM

The gawds must've gone crazy!!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 01:38 AM

India was tsunami'd in the south last December. Now this quake hits. Makes me feel lucky to live in Florida where you know when to run from hurricanes 24 hours in advance.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 08:48 AM

Estimated that 30k are dead.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

pathogen
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 11:59 AM

It's just staggering! I sincerely hope there's much we can do to help!
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 02:17 PM

Bin Laden is rumored to be in one of those "remote" areas of Pakistan.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Bin Laden is rumored to be in one of those "remote" areas of Pakistan.
There are possibly 30.000 dead and you come up with that!?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
Estimated that 30k are dead.

sad story - but estimated is the key word there - didnt the estimates from katrina come out to be alot lower.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 03:10 PM

There are possibly 30.000 dead and you come up with that!?
30,000 is just an estimate and besides the majority of those people in that country are Bin Laden supporters. Please forgive me if I do not feel sorry for terrorist supporters. Bin Laden's standing went up slightly in Pakistan, to 51 percent, and in Jordan, to 60 percent.. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...1401030_2.html

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 03:17 PM

30,000 is just an estimate and besides the majority of those people in that country are Bin Laden supporters. Please forgive me if I do not feel sorry for terrorist supporters. Bin Laden's standing went up slightly in Pakistan, to 51 percent, and in Jordan, to 60 percent.. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...1401030_2.html
O ye who believe! stand out firmly for Allah, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just: that is next to piety: and fear Allah. For Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do.

Surah 5:8

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4322930.stm

The bodies of 400 children have been pulled from the rubble of at least two schools alone in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 03:28 PM

The bodies of 400 children have been pulled from the rubble of at least two schools alone in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province.
And yes, I do actually feel sorry for those 400 children. I am not a heartless bastard as certain people here would like to think I am. They were probably too young to have been indoctrinated in the ways of evil yet. This earthquake was a natural catastrophe though, it cannot compare to the hundreds of school children savagely massacared by islamic terrorists in Beslan.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2005, 03:34 PM

My estimate: 27 (ish) with a number of zeros on the end. So, 27,000 (ish) in this case.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2005, 03:35 PM

And yes, I do actually feel sorry for those 400 children. I am not a heartless bastard as certain people here would like to think I am. They were probably too young to have been indoctrinated in the ways of evil yet. This earthquake was a natural catastrophe though, it cannot compare to the hundreds of school children savagely massacared by islamic terrorists in Beslan.
Oh, shut up already.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 04:29 PM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 05:54 PM

My prayers go out the victims. families, and friends. Such a terrible disaster.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:09 PM

Ok, so where the f*ck are all the companies (apple, amazon, etc) now? Why do I see so few sites taking money to help the victims? Just because their country's name ends in "-stan"? They've been good allies with us so I think we should definitely help them; regardless actually, but them being allies is a plus.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 06:20 PM

to you.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 06:21 PM

to you.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:23 PM

What a fitting handle for you. "Pachead". It definitely sounds like there's something wrong with your head.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday
Ok, so where the f*ck are all the companies (apple, amazon, etc) now? Why do I see so few sites taking money to help the victims? Just because their country's name ends in "-stan"? They've been good allies with us so I think we should definitely help them; regardless actually, but them being allies is a plus.
Sorry to reply to my own post, but wtf, this happened Friday 10 PM EST. That's two days ago. I remember there being huge relief campaigns going on within 24 hours of the tsunamis.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:37 PM

Sorry to reply to my own post, but wtf, this happened Friday 10 PM EST. That's two days ago. I remember there being huge relief campaigns going on within 24 hours of the tsunamis.
Not as many tourists as in the area the tsunami hit (take a look at how the relief effort was spread and at what time) and not as close to home as the hurricanes.

Sickening IMO.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
to you.
Oh please. At least we're not dancing around in the streets like lunatics and passing out candies to small children such as other people do when they see dead Americans.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:45 PM

Oh please. At least we're not dancing around in the streets like lunatics and passing out candies to small children such as other people do when they see dead Americans.
You are a racist, generalizing f*ck (and I say this based on various posts of yours that I've read, not just this). Realize there are good people that live there. Realize that this isn't even Iraq we're talking about, and realize that even in Iraq there are US supporters and that not all of its inhabitants are psychotic extremists. You are little better than those extremists.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 06:47 PM

You are a racist, generalizing f*ck.
I may be many things but I'm not racist in the least. I am against certain ideologies. Think before you kneejerk.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 06:49 PM

Slight alteration by Pendergast: You are no better than those extremists.
Improvinated.

Emile M. Cioran

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 06:50 PM

Ok, so where the f*ck are all the companies (apple, amazon, etc) now?
Maybe they're racist f*cks, just like you think I am.

Give Kanye West a call, I'm sure he'll be glad to participate in some benefit concert. I can just see it now "George Bush hates brown people !".

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:51 PM

Guys, please just ignore him. There are possibly 30.000 dead. There are more important things to think about than him.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 06:52 PM

You really are an unfathomable idiot.

It boggles the mind.

Asshole.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 06:52 PM

We should not wish the death of anyone, or be glad about such deaths.

We have all done bad things. All of us.
( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 9, 2005 at 07:50 PM. )

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
We should not wish the death of anyone, be glad about such deaths.

We have all done bad things. All of us.
Maybe my English is getting worse but that reads like you think we should be glad about such deaths. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean that. Am I correct?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2005, 07:02 PM

I'm quite certain he's missing an "or" in there.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I'm quite certain he's missing an "or" in there.
Most likely.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 9, 2005, 07:51 PM

Yes, missing an "or"

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 12:44 AM

****, I just learned of this. How the the hell did I miss this? Damn.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yes, missing an "or"

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 10, 2005, 03:46 AM

Oh no.

Forum Links
Forum Rules