Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > using my powerbook w/o display

using my powerbook w/o display
silentsnake09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 01:25 AM

Ok I am sick of using my windows PC as my primary computer when i live my powerbook and OSX so much. I also don't want to use a laptop as my primary computer, so I am going for the middle ground. I unhooked the pc stuffed it in the closet, took its monitor hooked it up to the powerbook closed the lid and hooked a USB keyboard and mouse to the powerbook. My question though is it ok to leave the powerbook closed like this all the time when its running ? I simply just love this setup I will have to take a pic and post it.

rparke1
Banned
Jan 3, 2006, 01:56 AM

yes its okay. try to put something between the monitor and the keyboard of the powerbook to prevent scratching of the pb monitor AND be sure to keep the vents clear to let out heat. before i started doing dual, i kept mine in a drawer in my desk with no vntilation and my harddrive over heated and i needed to replace it

bovie
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2006, 01:57 AM

Yes it is ok,
I have been doing lid closed operation with my powerbook for almost a year. Dell 1905fp and 1.5Ghz 12in. It works great. The fan dose seem to run a little louder when I am doing gaming but still, never had a problem.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

silentsnake09  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 02:12 AM

did you guys put it to sleep or let it run 24/7 ? I would like to leave it on as much as possible, especially overnight.

rparke1
Banned
Jan 4, 2006, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by silentsnake09
did you guys put it to sleep or let it run 24/7 ? I would like to leave it on as much as possible, especially overnight.

i kept it on almost 24/7. now everynight (even though i have it dualed for the most part open lid) i put it to sleep when i go to sleep. once again, remember to keep it well ventilated. have fun!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules