Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Universal Music to hand out free music via SpiralFrog

Universal Music to hand out free music via SpiralFrog
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 01:52 PM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060829-7611.html

Very interesting. I think we're all going to have to watch this one closely. Probably going to be DRM'd WMA or something

EDIT: fixed incomprehensible sentence
( Last edited by Goldfinger; Aug 29, 2006 at 02:09 PM. )

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 01:57 PM

I like it.

I don't mind watching a 30 second ad in return for a music track. I hope they can stay afloat.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 02:41 PM

One issue facing the start-up is which file format to use. MP3 would appear to be the best choice, as it would allow the tracks to be played on any digital music player, including the iPod. However, SpiralFrog has decided that some form of copy protection is necessary. The likely result of that decision is a reliance on WMA and a subsequent lockout of the iPod.
...and thus a subsequent failure of the Spiral Frog 'experiment'. Everybody has an iPod. The iPod is the key to the iTMS and has ensured that the iTMS lives while other on-line music stores die.

Why don't the get it? Apple has a monopoly situation on music players and kids don't want to sit in front of their computer listening to music and *certainly* not give up their iPod for a Creative player (oh.. that's discuontinued..) or a Dell player (..nope, they gave up on that too) or ah.. I don't know what major brand is left.. Samsung (if one can call that a major brand).

Sony doesn't support DRMd WiMP AFAIK.

Sheesh.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
I like it.

I don't mind watching a 30 second ad in return for a music track. I hope they can stay afloat.
Three albums is 10 minutes of ads. No thanks, esp. if it turns out to be DRM'd WMA.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2006, 02:54 PM

I predict failure

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Aug 29, 2006, 02:57 PM

I read an interesting article that said Spiralfrog will be screwed if that ads don't bring in money cause then they still have to pay all the musicians.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
[url] I think we're all going to have to watch this one closely.
Aye aye captain! I'll take first watch!

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 04:38 PM

Hmm.... what artists on Universal would I even want to listen to... I guess Matthew West... that's probably about it.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
Three albums is 10 minutes of ads. No thanks, esp. if it turns out to be DRM'd WMA.
You wouldn't watch 10 minutes of ads ONE TIME for 3 albums (180 minutes) that you get to keep forever? That seems a little messed up. Is 10 minutes of your surfing time worth more than $45 ($270/hr) to you?

memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 29, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
You wouldn't watch 10 minutes of ads ONE TIME for 3 albums (180 minutes) that you get to keep forever? That seems a little messed up. Is 10 minutes of your surfing time worth more than $45 ($270/hr) to you?
Where does it say you watch the ads only one time and then get to keep the music forever? They can simply expire your WMA license and re-issue after you watch another ad. A week? A month? It's obvious details are up in the air. Doesn't matter though, no iPod = death.

Forum Links
Forum Rules