Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Opinions on auto purchase

Opinions on auto purchase (Page 3)
sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 01:44 PM

Thank you for the responses and opinions. This is why I come on here and ask! I need direction and you people have knowledge and experience.

downinflames68 , take it easy. I don't want to buy a piece of shit with 100k mi on it. I don't want to buy something that I need to do a bunch of maintenance on right away. I don't want to spend my time replacing tons of parts, then worrying if everything is going to stay together and work correctly. Maybe you've gone this route and it has worked for you. Congratulations. Thats not what I want to do. I want to buy something that is relatively new, looks good, has low miles, is reliable, and gets decent gas mileage. Thats what I want. I make enough money and I've put myself in a position that I can comfortably afford the type of vehicle I described if I so choose. I appreciate your suggestion, but I don't appreciate your attitude or tone.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I should chime in about the CV joints... They are an essential maintenance item.
Which is why, at a certain time of year, when I look under my car (or especially when I had the Volvo), I suddenly hate FWD

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Thank you for the responses and opinions. This is why I come on here and ask! I need direction and you people have knowledge and experience.

downinflames68 , take it easy. I don't want to buy a piece of shit with 100k mi on it. I don't want to buy something that I need to do a bunch of maintenance on right away. I don't want to spend my time replacing tons of parts, then worrying if everything is going to stay together and work correctly. Maybe you've gone this route and it has worked for you. Congratulations. Thats not what I want to do. I want to buy something that is relatively new, looks good, has low miles, is reliable, and gets decent gas mileage. Thats what I want. I make enough money and I've put myself in a position that I can comfortably afford the type of vehicle I described if I so choose. I appreciate your suggestion, but I don't appreciate your attitude or tone.
At somewhere between 60k and 100k, any front wheel drive will need its CVs serviced and/or replaced. Making sure you don't buy a car that needs this is important. New tires are important for your safety, as are new brakes. The struts may or may not need replacement, and you'll need to be able to drive the car to asses the stability of the ride.

Rob was suggesting the most efficient way to ensure that you don't buy a well used car that will need a lot of work down the road. The simple alternative is to have the seller demonstrate that everything is sound (especially the CV joints and their boots) before you buy. New tires is often a selling point, and new brakes should be too.

And having 100k on a well maintained Honda doesn't mean it's a beater. Quite the contrary-a well maintained Honda could look very much like it was "new old stock." It all depends on how well it was kept up. Rob was right about the price range too. You could get into a very nice car with at least another 100k left to go on it for less than $7k if you go this route.

Rob was really trying to help you not spend tons of money on something that won't measure up, and none of your responses seemed to indicate (to me) that you'd read and considered his suggestion.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
you'll need to be able to drive the car to asses the stability of the ride.
I think you mean assess

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2010, 10:09 PM

Maybe with "drive to asses", he's talking about the chick appeal

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2010, 10:25 PM

Actually I just didn't proof read. "you'll need to drive it to assess..." was what I meant.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 03:50 PM

This is somewhat off topic, but have you found used prices high? We were looking to buy one last summer and my God, the prices were insane. And this was BEFORE Cash for Clunkers. We ended up buying new, a Toyota Rav 4, for about 22 grand. Way higher than used, I know, but my husband was being so fussy about what kind of used, how many miles, etc., that I assure you, we were better off this way. (Well, we were better off before the whole stuck accelerator thing! Now we have to get it retrofitted....) I do know that there were predictions with all those fairly serviceable cars that got traded in during the CforC thing, (and which were then destroyed), that there would be lots fewer good used cars out there, driving up price.

Just wondering...

And I'd go Honda.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2010, 04:28 PM

Last summer used car prices went really high. They seem to be back down now.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Jeebus. I've put 22k on my Audi, and it hasn't even been a year yet.
banned yet again? never saw that coming........

We have a rule against posts about other members... And against taking jabs at other members too. Glenn
( Last edited by ghporter; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:43 AM. )

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 27, 2010, 07:12 PM

Actually you don't. You shit on my experience and knowledge. Good luck buying an overpriced overly new car purely to get 10mpg better than your stupid SUV.

downinflames68 , take it easy. I don't want to buy a piece of shit with 100k mi on it.
Yeah, gee, what pieces of shit I own.

155k, everything works, A/C still awesome, handles better than anything on the road, 33mpg, no leaks, amazing to drive

122k, no leaks, faster than most crap on the roads, everything works.

Yeah, gee, how horrible it is to have a car with over 100k. Good luck on your search, PAL.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 27, 2010, 07:13 PM

Oh, and the idea of calling a honda, which typically goes for a few HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES, a piece of shit at 100k!? HAhahaha. You're hilarious. Stick to american cars, because those do turn into pieces of shit at 100k. You know, like the piece of shit that you own.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2010, 07:43 PM

You still have the Prelude? They are still my favorite Honda.

If the OP has the money to do what he wants, why shouldn't he? Just because it doesn't make sense to some people doesn't mean he's worse off than anyone else. IMHO, buying either a newish Honda makes more financial sense if you can't find an older one that's been beat to crap. If you can find an older Honda that's been well maintained, I'd take that hands-down. But I have a thing with older Hondas anyway (Preludes and the '88 Accord LXi hatch, especially). But anyway, these points have been pounded into the ground enough, it's up to the OP now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2010, 07:51 PM

Opinions are like assholes.

Rob has both.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 27, 2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You still have the Prelude? They are still my favorite Honda.

If the OP has the money to do what he wants, why shouldn't he?
He should. But when he comes here asking for advice, and completely ignores it and then insults all of my vehicles as pieces of shit, I can think he is the opposite of intelligent, reasonable, or logical. In fact, the opposite of any good quality. Like, you know Einstein? He is the opposite.

Just because it doesn't make sense to some people doesn't mean he's worse off than anyone else. IMHO, buying either a newish Honda makes more financial sense if you can't find an older one that's been beat to crap.
I didn't even suggest an "older" one. I suggested something NOT almost brand new. A quick jog to CL will result in a TON of 2001-2005 civics, with around 100k, that would be extremely reliable, nimble, frugal forms of transportation, that are not anywhere NEAR pieces of "shit", as the OP so "intelligently" put it.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2010, 08:48 PM

Actually you don't. You shit on my experience and knowledge. Good luck buying an overpriced overly new car purely to get 10mpg better than your stupid SUV.

Yeah, gee, what pieces of shit I own.

155k, everything works, A/C still awesome, handles better than anything on the road, 33mpg, no leaks, amazing to drive

122k, no leaks, faster than most crap on the roads, everything works.

Yeah, gee, how horrible it is to have a car with over 100k. Good luck on your search, PAL.
Yup, both of those cars look like shit - to me. Thats my opinion. I would pay extra money to not drive something that looks like that. I spend a lot of time in my car and I want something I like looking at, has a clean and modern interior, I can have passengers in and not feel embarrassed. If I was in high school, I'd be ok driving one of those cars. I have a corporate job and I have to take clients and business partners all over town, out to lunch, etc. I don't want something that looks like that representing me. Period. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I don't care.

I respectfully read your advice and chose to go a different direction. Then you felt the need to tell me to "stop being a little bitch" and blah blah blah, buy a car with 100k miles on it and fix every moving part on it. I don't want to do that. Just because thats what you prefer to do, doesn't mean its the right way to go about it.

Whats up with all of the attitude, seriously? Just leave it alone man.
( Last edited by sdilley14; Feb 27, 2010 at 09:01 PM. )
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2010, 09:04 PM

as the OP so "intelligently" put it.
Hey jackass, keep your snide remarks to yourself.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2010, 09:28 PM

Hey jackass, keep your snide remarks to yourself.
You better be glad that the report function is broken right now, because surely, you deserve to be reported.

-t

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You better be glad that the report function is broken right now, because surely, you deserve to be reported.

-t
And he doesn't? He can make snide little pot shots all day, but I call him a donkey and I'm the one that deserves to be "reported"?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2010, 10:22 PM

Man. This reminds me of middle school. And that's not good.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Man. This reminds me of middle school. And that's not good.
You're right. I shouldn't have contributed to this.

Can we just lock or delete this thread?
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Cold Warrior
Feb 27, 2010, 10:34 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules