Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do I justify switching carriers to get an iPhone?

How do I justify switching carriers to get an iPhone?
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2011, 03:21 AM

Ok, I want to get an iPhone. However, with the carrier I am on now and the plan that I am on, it's going to cost me at least an extra $30 for a comparable plan.

Right now I am on US Cellular (I live in rural WI and they are one of the best carriers around this area, I've been with them for 8 years). I have never had a single problem with billing, customer service, ANYTHING. They're great for where I am at and what I need. Right now I am paying $69.99 a month (before the 5% discount they offer for setting up automatic payments). This plan includes 450 anytime minutes (about 400 more than I truly need), 5GB data (about 2-3 GB more than I probably need), unlimited text and picture messaging (this is what I really use) and it also includes navigation, which I find myself using about once or twice a month.

ATT really isn't an option where I am at. Their coverage, particularly data coverage, in this area is HORRIBLE.

However, Verizon is quite strong around here. A comparable plan to what I have now on Verizon would be $89.99 plus another $9.99 for navigation. Now, navigation isn't ESSENTIAL since I do have a Garmin unit, but I have found the navigation to be better on my phone than with my Garmin (plus it's nice incase I just don't have my Garmin around).

Currently I have an HTC Desire with Android 2.2. It works well enough, and I'm not interested in the Android VS. iOS argument. This phone works just fine (though it does act a bit buggy from time to time, especially since upgrading to 2.2). However, I am an Apple guy and I want an iPhone...period.

So how do I justify this $20-$30+ increase in my monthly bill (outside of the fact that I'm getting the phone I truly want - but don't need).
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2011, 03:36 AM

What exactly are you getting out of the navigation option? Can't you just use any old navigation app as is?

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2011, 03:39 AM

Well my phone now has Google navigation on it and it works really well. Navigation is included in my plan now, where as if I were to switch to Verizon, from what I understand, I would have to pay an extra $9.99 a month to have any sort of operational navigation function (maybe I'm not understanding it correctly though?).
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2011, 05:55 AM

I'm pretty (though not 100%) sure you just buy one of many possible apps. That's it.

Map information is data, so it'll be using your data plan, but I don't think there's anything beyond that and whatever the developer charges for the app.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2011, 06:20 AM

Hmmmm, maybe you're right. Well, assuming that is correct, I'm still looking at $20+ more a month for a plan with Verizon as opposed to US Cellular. :/
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2011, 06:28 AM

Spend $10 on MotionX's GPS iPhone app (or get the subscription-based automobile navigation app for a lot less than $10/month). You definitely, positively do NOT need a phone carrier's "navigation" support with an iPhone-built in GPS and very good cell/wi-fi triangluation provide excellent navigation capabilities right out of the box. Adding a GPS/navigation app like MotionX gives you significantly better navigation access using those capabilities (plus MotionX gives you many of the "hand-held GPS unit" features you may be used to).

Deciding on a carrier is in large part based on whether or not you can use their services where you go. It's why I stick with AT&T; Verizon does not provide the coverage I need in places I go. But in some areas, AT&T doesn't provide enough coverage-outside of big metro areas, especially in the Upper Midwest (northern Lower Michigan has similar coverage problems, I'm told).

So, how do you justify switching carriers? Your really, really wanting the iPhone justifies it. Your current carrier doesn't have the iPhone, and you want/need and will definitely use the features that make an iPhone stand out. That's how you justify it. Cost? I have a 3-line family plan, and I just upgraded my own and my wife's phones to iPhone 4s. Aside from a couple of one-time charges (related to new AT&T contracts), the biggest change in our bill is higher data plan costs for my wife's phone. If she doesn't use a good chunk of the data allowance in the more expensive plan we started out with, we'll just fall back to the less expensive plan. For the availability of all those iPhone features, we're paying a little bit more a month-basically the cost of a "not fast food" quick dinner out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2011, 10:47 AM

Go to Canada
Search the local Craigslist
Buy Canadian iPhone at the price they are requesting
Return to the US if you don't like what you see in Canada

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2011, 12:33 PM

AFAIK, the iPhone 4 comes with Maps and Compass pre-installed, so need to use VZ Navigator. It does use data to keep the maps current.
Apple - iPhone 4 - Learn about Maps, the GPS, and built-in compass
45/47

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2011, 02:29 PM

Are you comparing the US Cellular bill including taxes and fees to the Verizon plan which doesn't include taxes and fees? I'd expect the gap to be larger (and the taxes and fees to be different between the carriers).

If it's really only $20 difference, that's $500 over the contract period. What else would you do with $500? Take a quick vacation? Donate to charity?

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Donate to charity?
Like the National Association for the Advancement of Steve.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2011, 03:11 PM

If you justify the extra cost to yourself right now, I think you may be in for major buyer's remorse assuming the next model of the iPhone comes out on time. I think you should defer your potential purchase until the next iteration so that you can make a more informed decision. Perhaps there will even be more carrier flexibility with the next iPhone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2011, 08:28 PM

why are you asking us to justify a purchase for you? obviously you're set on getting an iphone. just switch and buy.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2011, 11:07 AM

Craiglist iphone and month by month cellphone account

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Are you comparing the US Cellular bill including taxes and fees to the Verizon plan which doesn't include taxes and fees? I'd expect the gap to be larger (and the taxes and fees to be different between the carriers).

If it's really only $20 difference, that's $500 over the contract period. What else would you do with $500? Take a quick vacation? Donate to charity?
Exactly. Right now, after taxes and fees and everything, I'm paying $75 a month. With Verizon it is going to be $89.99 before any taxes and fees.

What would I do with $500? Buy an iPad of course!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
why are you asking us to justify a purchase for you? obviously you're set on getting an iphone. just switch and buy.
Well, I WANT to buy, but I'm not SET on it. As I said, my HTC Desire is a fine enough phone and it does what I need it to do. I guess I'm looking for people to more so point out things I may have missed that would justify paying an extra $20+ a month for service, rather than justifying getting an iPhone...if that makes sense, lol.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules