Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Alarm question

Alarm question
bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2011, 03:51 AM

I just got an iPhone 4 (Verizon) not too long ago, so please bare with me.

I want that the alarm will go off, ring for 30 seconds and then automatically go on snooze for 3 or 5 minutes. I had this with my old cell phone and loved it. Is there a way to specify this? Some other app to download? Help.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 06:06 AM

The built-in Clock app has an alarm clock with Snooze function.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The built-in Clock app has an alarm clock with Snooze function.
I understand this, but again I am looking for an option or an app to do exactly as I described. As you see, I cannot press the snooze option on Shabbat.

ibook_steve
Aug 14, 2011, 05:16 PM

I just did a search on the store for "Jewish alarm clock" and found Shabbos Clock and Shabbat Lamp and Talking Clock Alarm. They look like they have what you need.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2011, 12:44 PM

bstone, I appreciate the need for a Shabbat alarm, but Apple's built-in alarm suits my needs so I suggested it. It's not like it rings forever without turning itself off, so I'm not sure what more is needed.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
bstone, I appreciate the need for a Shabbat alarm, but Apple's built-in alarm suits my needs so I suggested it. It's not like it rings forever without turning itself off, so I'm not sure what more is needed.
That's very nice that it works for you. It does not work for me, however, which is why I am looking for an alarm program that allows for heavy customization.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2011, 01:02 PM

Does this mean you can't use the iPhone AT ALL on the Shabbat, because any operation would include pressing buttons ?

Btw, this would mean you need the alarm to automatically turn off. Right ?

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2011, 01:56 PM

That's correct, turtle. The manipulation of electricity is classified by as one of the 39 types of prohibited work on the Jewish Sabbath (at least by Orthodox Judaism).

bstone, I wasn't trying to argue the point and understand you need a more customizable solution. I just wanted to point out the built-in option works for some of us.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2011, 02:40 PM

No electricity at all, or is there a nV threshhold ?

How do you shut down your brain on the Shabbat ?

-t

reader50
Administrator
Aug 17, 2011, 03:40 PM

Would a voice command be allowed? There is probably some app around that will let you kill an alarm by shouting "STFU!" in the general direction of the iPhone.

Of course, this will go over really well with the neighbors.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Would a voice command be allowed? There is probably some app around that will let you kill an alarm by shouting "STFU!" in the general direction of the iPhone.

Sorry to tell you, but G*d can hear everything

-t

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

No, not allowed. Cannot manipulate tech in the least. Not turn on, not turn off.

My old phone, an LG Accolade, would go to sleep after sounding the alarm for 30 second and sound again about 5 minutes later. After 30 minutes of this it shut off for good. I seriously wish to recreate this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 09:55 AM

You could keep your old phone just as an alarm clock

-t

ibook_steve
Aug 18, 2011, 09:07 PM

Umm...did anybody read my post?

Steve

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 09:39 PM

I did, but I don't need that app

-t

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2011, 10:02 PM

What about a Wii? Even though it's electricity it's play not work.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 10:20 PM

You can't use logic.

It's considered work to press a button and call an elevator.
It' NOT work to walk 6 stories up instead of using the elevator.

*shrug*

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 12:33 AM

It may seem counter-intuitive, but it's not "work" as in physical exertion. It's work as in creative labors. Also, there is a minority of Orthodox Jews who don't count all forms of electricity manipulation as prohibited creative work, but the vast majority do. And it's easy for me to see why, aside from the technical argument of why it's classified as it is - if simple electricity manipulation is allowed, one can easily go from simple electricity use to creative work on some project that you were working on the day before and definitely shouldn't be working on, on days on which we are commanded not to engage in creative labor.

G-d takes His command to restrain labor on Shabbat very seriously in the Hebrew Scriptures, so religious Jews take it very seriously themselves. It's a responsibility that is uniquely ours. I recognize that it won't be well understood or appreciated by non-Jews. It's not meant to be.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM. )

ibook_steve
Aug 19, 2011, 01:02 AM

Getting a little off topic, I've really only experienced a true Shabbat twice: once when I was invited to the Rabbi's house after Saturday morning services (I was in junior high or high school; have grown up Conservative bordering on Reform) and on my trip to Israel as an adult, that spanned a Saturday.

Saturday at the Rabbi's house was...a bit boring. It was nice to hang out, but as a teenager, there are lots of things you want to do on a Saturday. The big excitement was when the phone rang and we all ran in to listen to the answering machine to see who was calling the Rabbi on Shabbat!

Jerusalem over Shabbat is really strange. It's almost like a ghost town there are so few people around. Luckily, we had bought some food the day before. Otherwise, we would have starved because everything was closed.

I can understand why some people truly observe Shabbat, but I just don't think it's for me.

Steve

reader50
Administrator
Aug 19, 2011, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I just got an iPhone 4 (Verizon) not too long ago, so please bare with me.

I want that the alarm will go off, ring for 30 seconds and then automatically go on snooze for 3 or 5 minutes. I had this with my old cell phone and loved it. Is there a way to specify this? Some other app to download? Help.
You could accomplish this with several alarm events, 3-5 minutes apart. Each is set to go silent after 30 seconds. It would be convenient if you could define an alarm set, so you don't have to create the arrangement manually.

Or define the set once, and set to repeat once a week. Assuming the alarm time-of-day doesn't change from week to week.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 01:42 AM

Curious: no lights, no doorbell, no door buzzer?

ibook_steve
Aug 19, 2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Curious: no lights, no doorbell, no door buzzer?
Nothing. No button pushing or switch flipping allowed.

Steve

johnpford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
No, not allowed. Cannot manipulate tech in the least. Not turn on, not turn off.

My old phone, an LG Accolade, would go to sleep after sounding the alarm for 30 second and sound again about 5 minutes later. After 30 minutes of this it shut off for good. I seriously wish to recreate this.
How about just setting an appointment, then telling it to trigger an alert? You can set multiple alerts and it will stop after each alert.

johnpford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2011, 11:52 AM

Ooops.. Forgot to state the obvious.. Basically set a calendar event that alerts you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules