Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Tips for Reducing File Size in MS Word

Tips for Reducing File Size in MS Word
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2012, 02:35 PM

Does anyone have any tips for reducing a file size in MS Word? I've conducted several Google searches and it seems as though most of them apply to reducing the pictures. However, I do not have many pictures in my file but rather tables. Also, some of the hints seem as though they are oly available on Windows.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

P
Mar 28, 2012, 02:48 PM

There is an old bug in OLE that MS sort of fixed with Office 2007 on Windows - 13 years after introducing it. The problem is that if you copy a big picture, such as a JPEG photo, and paste it into Office, it also stores an uncompressed full size preview as a bitmapped image (BMP). The workaround on Windows is to use Insert -> as image instead of pasting, which works around the bug. I once received a 137 MB Powerpoint in the mail from a certain manager who knew he'd get chewed out but didn't want to bother splitting it. I recompressed it and sent it back - 600 kB. It's that bad. Even if you only have a few pictures, it's worth checking for that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ω
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2012, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
There is an old bug in OLE that MS sort of fixed with Office 2007 on Windows - 13 years after introducing it. The problem is that if you copy a big picture, such as a JPEG photo, and paste it into Office, it also stores an uncompressed full size preview as a bitmapped image (BMP). The workaround on Windows is to use Insert -> as image instead of pasting, which works around the bug. I once received a 137 MB Powerpoint in the mail from a certain manager who knew he'd get chewed out but didn't want to bother splitting it. I recompressed it and sent it back - 600 kB. It's that bad. Even if you only have a few pictures, it's worth checking for that.
Could be the same issue, but I can remember word files suddenly ballooning to some ridiculous size. All I would do is select all and copy and paste into a new doc. Makes no sense but it worked.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Forum Links
Forum Rules