Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > About This Mac error

About This Mac error
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 08:36 AM

What would cause the mhz speed of the RAM to not show up? Does this mean there is something wrong with my RAM? I went into the system profiler and it showed the speed there, and said everything was working ok.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 4, 2007, 09:26 AM

You've just got really slow ram..?

I remember reading about similar "About this mac" problems and apparently it was linked to doing things during an installers "optimising" phase, but I can't find that link for the life of me now, sorry.

P
May 4, 2007, 10:40 AM

Launching applications during the "optimizing phase" (ie, when prebinding) can break just about anything in OS X, because it can zero any libraries used by those apps if you are unlucky.

What the RAM speed might be due to? Just about anything. You can try zapping the PRAM and reinstalling the latest combo update to see if that helps. Does it have any other effects?

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 05:18 PM

I tried resetting the PRAM and installing the latest updates, still nothing. I noticed a change in performance a couple of weeks ago, but didn't really think about it. Applications don't start up as fast as they use to.

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 4, 2007, 05:45 PM

Is the ram installed from apple or from who? Take it out and reinstall, repair permissions and tell us what happens.

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 06:05 PM

The RAM was installed by Apple from the factory. I've had the computer for around 6 months and it just started doing this.

edit: I just reinstalled the RAM and it still shows the speed as 0.
( Last edited by Dark_Lotus; May 4, 2007 at 06:16 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2007, 06:21 PM

Strange. What does System Profiler report?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Strange. What does System Profiler report?
Look at his 1st post:

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus View Post
<snip>

What would cause the mhz speed of the RAM to not show up? Does this mean there is something wrong with my RAM? I went into the system profiler and it showed the speed there, and said everything was working ok.
Signature depreciated.

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 4, 2007, 10:07 PM

Do you have a second account set up? If so, log in and see what it shows. Also, did you repair permissions?
Randy

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Do you have a second account set up? If so, log in and see what it shows. Also, did you repair permissions?
Randy
I guess I could set one up. I repaired permissions and still nothing.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2007, 10:36 AM

Several people with newer Mac Pro towers reported that the "about this Mac" window was showing their CPUs at 0MZ after the latest security update. Apple has gone on record noting that the problem was "cosmetic," and was a known issue. System Profiler is indeed what you should count on with this sort of thing, as it is still correct. You could report it to Apple through their website, as the more reports they get, the sooner it'll get fixed.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2007, 12:20 PM

If you have OnyX (a GUI front-end for a lot of low-level OS X maintenance commands), run the "Complete Optimization" tool under the "Maintenance" tab, and see if that helps.

Get OnyX Here
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2007, 12:56 PM

I ran OnyX and the complete optimization and nothing happened. Ill report it to Apple.

brianjking
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 01:17 AM

Hello,

Please let me know. I am also having this issue with my MacBook Pro (2.16ghz, Core Duo)

I'm also planning on calling Apple as I'm also having some other issues as well. I also have the issue where it shows up fine when you go to the "memory" area of the system profiler as it shows my 1 DIMM of 1GB of DDR2 SD-RAM.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

brianjking
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2007, 01:18 AM

Oh - one other note, I have also used OnYX and other maint. tools for OS X. I have ran Tech Tool Pro, etc. Nothing notices any errors in the memory itself, although I am getting KERN protection errors all the time on all kinds of applications (seemingly without a pattern of when it occurs).

Forum Links
Forum Rules