Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who Killed JonBenet Ramsey?

Who Killed JonBenet Ramsey?
freudling
Banned
Apr 24, 2011, 04:36 PM

Yes, I know, drudging up the past. I know the case was just recently reopened. This is an incredibly intriguing, bizarre crime. A 6 year old beauty pageant was killed and then found in the basement of her home in 1995. Her parents and brother have been suspects...

Lots of weird things around this case. Also of note, the Ramseys's other daughter was killed in 1992 I believe in a car accident.

One burning question: why would the Ramseys call 911 and report their daughter missing without searching the entire house?

By the way, Patsy Ramsey, the mother, died in 2006 of Ovarian Cancer.

Anyway, great documentary with Bill Kurtis.

YouTube - JonBenet Investigation Part 1

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011, 09:40 PM

Well according to The Enquirer, the mom, a neighbor, space aliens, Michael Jackson, and a few others did the deed. There hasn't been any real, solid journalism about the case since about 1999, with most of the "press" on the poor girl's fate actually belonging to the tabloids' particular kind of fiction. I hope someone finally does get to the bottom of the question, but I'm not holding my breath...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
the mom, a neighbor, space aliens, Michael Jackson,
That could be one and the same person

-t

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2011, 10:38 PM

I have driven by the house, its in a very nice west boulder neighborhood. It was recently up for sale again.

Boulder is a weird place... it's commonly referred to as "The peoples republic of Boulder" around here...

this case is very similar to the O.J. case, everyone knows who did it but there is no definitive result.

any family that willingly puts their small children in a fashion show are absolutely off their rocker.

-Zach

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2011, 11:52 PM

Zach, wouldn't that be every parent whose concerned with how their kid looks in public though? Public life is one big "fashion show" to most parents.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2011, 12:26 AM

there is a difference of extremes when making your child presentable in public to making them look like a supermodel when they are 8.

Parents that obsess over the "beauty" of their young child are psychotic...

However, I have never knowingly met a pagent parent, so I have no first hand experience.

-Zach

indigoimac
Senior User
Apr 27, 2011, 12:32 AM

My initial impression was always that it was the father -- the whole thing was investigated sooo incredibly poorly that I do not think we will ever know unfortunately.

Though, who the hell knows, there's always incidents like the Elizabeth Smart case, but that was weird as hell too.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2011, 08:46 AM

According to a good friend of mine, who is friends with John Ramsey, the mother did it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2011, 06:47 PM

I had always suspected it was the Mother. Was a gut feeling so I can believe it.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 27, 2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I had always suspected it was the Mother. Was a gut feeling so I can believe it.
This is one of those posts that captures someone's personality so well.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is one of those posts that captures someone's personality so well.
Why, there was a lot of suspicion of it being a family member. The evidence always pointed to that. Whats wrong with my personality for suspecting the mother?

indigoimac
Senior User
Apr 27, 2011, 07:41 PM

Why, there was a lot of suspicion of it being a family member. The evidence always pointed to that. Whats wrong with my personality for suspecting the mother?
I think he's commenting on the credence you are willing to put on your gut feeling.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
I think he's commenting on the credence you are willing to put on your gut feeling.
Don't we all make choices on our gut feelings? Have you ever meet some one that gave you a strange feeling, a gut feeling that they could be bad news? Last time I checked we where still a emotionally driven people not a logical Vulcan type race operating on only fact.

I watched a few shows on the case, and still remember the news interviews and something never seemed right about the mother and her story.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2011, 10:49 PM

Don't we all make choices on our gut feelings? Have you ever meet some one that gave you a strange feeling, a gut feeling that they could be bad news?
That can get in the way of impartiality - I hope you're never a juror in one of my trials. People are always telling me that I give them a bad gut feeling, even though nobody's ever actually proven any of the things I've done.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
That can get in the way of impartiality - I hope you're never a juror in one of my trials. People are always telling me that I give them a bad gut feeling, even though nobody's ever actually proven any of the things I've done.
No I disagree, because you don't have to act on a gut feeling. You can still be impartial if you choose to be. Impartiality is a choice. Im sure many times people have had a gut feeling one way but made the decision based on the facts as presented.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2011, 12:39 AM

Following one's gut should never be the basis of any conclusion. Maybe it could help you examine the evidence you possess more carefully or in a particular way, but "my gut says it's true" is entirely emotional. It's an expression of faith rather than evidence-based logical conclusion.

On the other hand, to say "there were always some questions about how and when that made me suspect the mother" is both a valid response and bluntly honest.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2011, 12:52 AM

Following one's gut should never be the basis of any conclusion. Maybe it could help you examine the evidence you possess more carefully or in a particular way, but "my gut says it's true" is entirely emotional. It's an expression of faith rather than evidence-based logical conclusion.
I disagree.

If you have a "gut feeling" you would be safer on the other side of the street because of who's walking towards you. Follow it. Don't think about it. Don't try and rationalize it. In the words of Nike, "just do it".

This isn't faith, it's millions of years of evolution working to save your ass (also known as instinct).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I know exactly how you feel.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I disagree.

If you have a "gut feeling" you would be safer on the other side of the street because of who's walking towards you. Follow it. Don't think about it. Don't try and rationalize it. In the words of Nike, "just do it".

This isn't faith, it's millions of years of evolution working to save your ass (also known as instinct).
We're talking about different things. I was talking about a situation where someone uses his "gut feeling" about a thought process. You are talking about following subconscious cues and impulses in a quickly evolving situation. I agree with you in your example, but it's not the same as pondering an issue and deciding based on emotion versus logic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2011, 09:11 AM

Gotcha.

I thought that may have been your point, but that "never" kept staring me in the face.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
That and that it's about something so utterly irrelevant.

Edit: Oh yeah, and his surety is in response to hearsay.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 28, 2011, 12:39 PM

Have to admit. When I watch documentaries on this case, the parents strick me as incredibly odd. Like, I do get a bad feeling from them. Yes, we are flesh and blood, with built in sensors for stuff like this. It helps us navigate the world and avoid danger. Feelings, and gut feelings are very real and valid.

The parents seem just psychopathic, without much emotion. Never I have seen a video of them crying. The mother talking about how they lost so much they worked for in a very selfish way... the father seems incredibly anal and controlling... I read, not sure if it's true, how Jonbenet had over 30 yeast infections 2 years prior to her death. Looked like vaginal irritation and such as well.

To me this implies the father was molesting her, or the brother. Why would Jonbenet let a complete stranger do this without saying anything over all that time, if in fact she was being serial molested? And it would make more sense that if she was being serial molested often then it would be from someone close to her. Because she was only like 6 years old, the likely suspect is a family member, because she wouldn't be left alone really at all.

Remind you of someone maybe? See Twin Peaks: Laura Palmer. She was molested by a family member (her father) but let it happen, and tricked herself into thinking it was someone else.

And the whole circumstances of her death in the house... being killed in the house... the parents calling 911 without searching the entire house... the what seems to be a completely arbitrary ransom note that was for the exact amount as the father's bonus he just got... like they panicked or something and wrote the letter after they found out she was dead to provide some kind of motive for her death by Mr. Imaginary... the fact that they never spoke to the police really at all for months after the death... hid behind their lawyers and PR people... It all smells fishy. And as far as I know, the brother is basically MIA in terms of ever being interviewed or really seen much at all.

I think the brother did it. Of course, this is all speculation...

Go check out the TED talk on the scientific explanation of a gut feeling. There're are so many nerves and things going on in your stomach the speaker labelled the stomach a second brain.

Heribert Watzke: The brain in your gut | Video on TED.com
( Last edited by freudling; Apr 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2011, 04:27 PM

Little girls get yeast infections without being molested. With the number of costumes she had to wear, and the fact that such young children are pretty spotty with personal hygiene, I wouldn't base any deep conclusion on nuke us yeast infections.

As for the parents being odd, well yes they were. They pimped their daughter in public in those stupid little girl beauty pageants. I peso ally see little diffence between these and dog shows, at least in terms of how the "contestant" is treated.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2011, 04:32 PM

Twin Peaks was fiction. This... I don't know what this is, besides sad.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2011, 04:43 PM

It was the one armed man.

It was most likely the brother and the parents tried to cover it up.
45/47

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2011, 04:54 PM

The searching the entire house isnt a big issue for me. I mean lots of places to hide, you expect when your screaming at your kid to come out a quick search in all the main rooms resulting in nothing creating panic. I don't actually see it as being very odd. I mean if I had a kid and im not getting a response to my screams and all the obvious normal places are empty I am going to be calling the cops too before spending a long time doing a detailed search. The mothers lack of emotions and attitude towards the lost of her investment is what irked me the most about her.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Apr 29, 2011, 05:11 AM

Little girls get yeast infections without being molested. With the number of costumes she had to wear, and the fact that such young children are pretty spotty with personal hygiene, I wouldn't base any deep conclusion on nuke us yeast infections.

As for the parents being odd, well yes they were. They pimped their daughter in public in those stupid little girl beauty pageants. I peso ally see little diffence between these and dog shows, at least in terms of how the "contestant" is treated.
No.

If you read the background on this, you'd know that the vagina may have been compromised coupled with yeast infections. She had to go to the paediatrician dozens of times over a 2 year period. But we don't know for sure if she was being molested or not, but the implication is that she was.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
the fact that they never spoke to the police really at all for months after the death... hid behind their lawyers and PR people... It all smells fishy.
This is SOP if you're a prime suspect. Prosecutors are fishy too.

Edit: and they're quite comfortable with the fact that exercising your rights make you look guilty.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 29, 2011 at 06:37 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
No.

If you read the background on this, you'd know that the vagina may have been compromised coupled with yeast infections. She had to go to the paediatrician dozens of times over a 2 year period. But we don't know for sure if she was being molested or not, but the implication is that she was.
My point was that any given little girl who does tons of costume changes could get yeast infections without being abused. The appropriate action when a little girl complains of the symptoms of a yeast infection IS to go to the pediatrician, and given the various ways yeast perpetuates itself, physical abuse isn't in the top ten reasons for a little girl to get repeated infections.

Tough infections call for not only medications but effectively sterilizing every bit of underclothing and tight fitting pants that the girl has worn. This where the costume thing comes in; did the parents treat her problem aggressively enough by destroying those expensive costumes?

And what exactly does "compromised" mean when talking about a child's vagina? You do know that a hymen may or may not be present, may or may not completely close the vagina, and could be perforated through relatively benign mechanical means, right?

On the other hand, their public behavior with their daughter was effectively abuse anyway, so I do not discount her being sexually abused.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2011, 05:29 PM

Brother.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

freudling  (op)
Banned
May 1, 2011, 10:19 AM

My point was that any given little girl who does tons of costume changes could get yeast infections without being abused. The appropriate action when a little girl complains of the symptoms of a yeast infection IS to go to the pediatrician, and given the various ways yeast perpetuates itself, physical abuse isn't in the top ten reasons for a little girl to get repeated infections.

Tough infections call for not only medications but effectively sterilizing every bit of underclothing and tight fitting pants that the girl has worn. This where the costume thing comes in; did the parents treat her problem aggressively enough by destroying those expensive costumes?

And what exactly does "compromised" mean when talking about a child's vagina? You do know that a hymen may or may not be present, may or may not completely close the vagina, and could be perforated through relatively benign mechanical means, right?

On the other hand, their public behavior with their daughter was effectively abuse anyway, so I do not discount her being sexually abused.
From what I've seen/read, the vagina, inside, had signs of damage (raw) during repeated visits to the paediatrician. Please don't run off and say she was molested... the information on this point is spotty and very hard to come by. But the implication from what I read is that sexual abuse was one explanation. Your explanation of costumes is another.

Forum Links
Forum Rules