Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > did you like high school? more

did you like high school? more
ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2001, 10:30 PM

I'm watching American High on PBS and wanted to know

A) What "click" were you with in hs?

B) Were you named as class anything?

C) Did you go to your prom?

D) Have you gome to any high school reunions?

Please expand your your answers whith reasons....etc

mindwaves
Jun 13, 2001, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
<STRONG>I'm watching American High on PBS and wanted to know

</STRONG>
1) What is a "click?"
2) No, my HS didnt do those kinds of things.
3) No. I don't like things like that in HS. Not appropriate IMO for that age.
4) No, too young.

tg-007
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 10:57 PM

</STRONG>
a) the "smart" computer semi-nerdy crowd (not TOTALLY nerdy

)

b)our school didn't have the "class anythings" but I was named biggest Apple fan at school by hordes or people

c)Nay

d) I just graduated class of 2000
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

iBook 500/ 320 RAM/ 10GB HD/ Airport (coolest. laptop. ever.)

QuickSilver G4 867/ 640 RAM/ 60GB HD/ GeForce 3/ SuperDrive/ Airport/ SoundSticks/ 15" Apple Studio Display

Toshiba Satellite - 900Mhz PIII/ 256 RAM/ 20GB HD/ GeForce2 Go 16MB DDR/ DVD/ Win2k

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2001, 11:19 PM

UPDATE

would you attend any reunions?

Clicks...like what group of people? Jocks, Preps, Geeks, Stoners....maybe I am spelling it wrong

Did you like high school?

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2001, 11:34 PM

First of all, it's spelled "clique," and I am/was in the "total nerd" clique.

In 8th grade (I know, not high school, but close enough) I was named "Best in Technology" (At a tech oriented school... :eek : )

Not yet. (I'm Sophomore in the fall.)

See answer to question C.

I refuse.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: AlbertWu ]
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

The Dude
Banned
Jun 13, 2001, 11:40 PM

High school in almost every form is a complete waste of time, money, resources, and sanity.

It needs to be phased out of this country.

mindwaves
Jun 13, 2001, 11:43 PM

Hmm, a clique?

What about the group of people who played chess with the AP bio and psychology teacher EVERY single lunch in school instead of going out to lunch at the nearby Burger King, McDonalds, etc. What would you call that kind of group?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 13, 2001, 11:55 PM

A) What "clique" were you with in hs?

&gt; The outcasts. Smart introverted semi-geeks I guess.

&gt; Salutatorian.

&gt; Senior prom yes.

&gt; None have happened yet. One was cancelled due to lack of response.

E) Would you attend any reunions?

&gt; Yeah. It'd be interesting to see what all those people are up to. Who is married (most of them by now), who has kids, who got divorced, who has careers they enjoy, etc..

poocat
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2001, 11:56 PM

heh.
in high school i was just me...

i hung out with people older than me until they all graduated, at which point i was forced to remember that i could actually enjoy being friends with the people in my own grade. luckily, just as i started to actually enjoy this, we all graduated and i was saved the problem of being really good friends with all the people i went to high school with and now can fondly remember them without resorting to interpersonal contact.

ah well.

college, on the other hand...

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2001, 11:58 PM

A) can you say "social exile"?

B) our school didn't have any class nomination thingies like that

c) Yup, I went with a good friend of mine. (and I was one of the few at the senior prom with a date that was in college at the time... &lt;diabolical laughter&gt; heh heh heh, I showed them, I showed them all!!! &lt;/diabolical laughter&gt; )

D) no, I have not (Class of 2000), nor do I plan on attending to any class reunions. Mostly because of the answer to "A"

For some background info, I went to a all male, military (Army JROTC), Catholic combined middle school and high school. I attended there from 6-12 grades.

Yes. The first few weeks of college were a shock for me (OMG, there are girls in class AND living in the same builiding, with no parents!!! )
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

malson
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 12:41 AM

A. I was in several groups actually. I drifted from the smart intellectuals to the drama folks to debate. Like MindWaves, I spent quite a few lunch periods and free time playing chess with one of the AP European History profs. Now, before you start getting all weird about the drama folks, I was on the tech crew, the folks who built the sets and did lighting, etc.

B. We didn't have anything like this at my school. The only I ever "was" was the senior editor of the school paper and the master carpenter for tech crew.

C. I went to my senior prom with one of my best friends and had an incredible time. My whole senior year was pretty sweet.

D. Actually, my 5 year reunion is coming up in October. Reunions are a really big deal for the school I attended. It's a private school where a lot of wealthy and important people have gone. Therefore, attending reunions you get to network and people will actually give you a job just because you went to school there. Sweet for me I guess. Anyway, I am going. Should be fun.
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2001, 01:42 AM

A) hmm... I would not know how to define it.
B) Most likely to be a millionaire.
C) Yes. Junior and Senior. Same girl too.
D) 5 year came and went, didn't hear anything. Maybe the 10 year.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2001, 02:11 AM

Ok,
A- social outcaste is a good term... didn't really fit in anywhere... drifted, or hung out with 2 or 3 good friends, and said screw it to the rest... Lotta people gave me **** , 'cause I was somewhat openly bisexual at a hick high school, where such things just "weren't done."

B- wasn't officially class anything... Although such things DID exist... I was not prestegious enough to be awarded one

C- Prom is a waste of time and money, and you couldn't get me in one of those horrible dresses if you paid me! Can you boys even IMAGINE the torture us girls have to go though to look "nice"??? UGH!! Sorry, not for me... I'd break my ankle on a heel, and have makeup smeared everywhere!

D- no HS reunions, yet, been out for a year, now... Um, don't know if I'd go... I mean, seeing a lot of people I DIDN'T know or care about, for the sake of running into the few I do? I don't know if it'd be worth it... It's too, TRADITIONAL for my tastes... I'll have to see where i am, when I get an invite...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Kestral
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 03:38 AM

</STRONG>
A) None. I went to 8 different high schools
B) Nope, served on student council one year (no one wanted the job so I figured it was a good way to get a nice little freebee for the ol' resume)
C) No
D) No but I went to my Grade 8 reunion - oh man that was effing weird!

Extra Credit: I swear, University was so much easier than high school academically, if I had to do University over again, I'd ace it. But if I had to do high school again, I think I would fail on the boredom.

Kestral
Senior User
Jun 14, 2001, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>Ok,
A- social outcaste is a good term... didn't really fit in anywhere... drifted, or hung out with 2 or 3 good friends, and said screw it to the rest... Lotta people gave me **** , 'cause I was somewhat openly bisexual at a hick high school, where such things just "weren't done." </STRONG>
Wow, so after gym class, did you ogle the girls showering/changing or did they avoid you?

mindwaves
Jun 14, 2001, 03:46 AM

Just wanted to clarify some things. I was never really an outcast. In matter of fact, I was highly respected (and still am) by many of my classmates and the school. I was always kind and sincere to my friends and scored well on tests for the school so I was '"accepted." I just like doing what I like doing which is playing chess. Anyone up for a match?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 03:49 AM

I was smart and a little goofy, almost bordering on nerd-geekiness but not quite. Thus, I could fit in well with about anybody. I had friends that were jocks, social-elite, nerds, and geeks. Most were of the "nerd" category though. Heheh...

Nope... my prinical was an ass and refused to acknowledge anyone with "honors" and such...

Yup. Twice my senior year -- mine and my girlfriend's (from a different high school).

Not yet. I just graduated in 2000! But I plan to.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: starfleetX ]
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Nimisys
Banned
Jun 14, 2001, 03:51 AM

</STRONG>
the lazy bastards that have figured out that honor classes are the easiest since all your firends will provide you the answers or last minute panic will see you through, so you do zero work excepet at the last minute generally as the teacher is collecting the assignment.

<STRONG>
B) Were you named as class anything?</STRONG>
nope
<STRONG>
C) Did you go to your prom?</STRONG>
got suckered in 72hrs before hand (didn't have the cash till 96hrs before, so i blew it off)... never ever answer yes if a chic asks you yes or no, but doesn't provide the question... i ended up taking someone i had never met before... it was cool and she was hot, but getting araingments in order in that short of time is not fun and that fact that i pulled it off is a testiment to my answer for #1
<STRONG>

</STRONG>

not yet it's been too soon. only a year or two.

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 04:00 AM

Drugs-experimenting-pseudo intellectual Joyce,Celine reading bunch of beerdrinking girlchasing richkid a**holes.
no

If you could call it that, yes..the european equivalent of prom is not such a big deal. And never mind reunions.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: l'ignorante ]

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2001, 08:55 AM

A) What clique were you with in hs?
Like Demonhood's, methinks. Not the popular clique, but in a largish clique that ranged from the smart kids accepted by the popular kids all the way down to the truely wierd poetry-writing black cape wearers. And I kept up with my elementary school friends, who are mostly the only friends that have come out of that time to today.

Something about a preternatural grandfather type, though the details escape me.

Yes. We went to prom on the cheap and ate dinner on a folded table in a park.

I went to the ten-year because I was in town for a wedding. Reports I'd heard from the five-year, that cliques were still active, didn't seem so true, but not untrue either. I only went to bar night (because of the two weddings that weekend), and it was OK, but I do remember being cornered by a dude whom I didn't know very well telling me about the innerworkings of selling air on the upper reaches of the FM dial.

My father used to enjoy reunions, but mostly with classes from 40 and 50 years before.

T

Cipher13
Jun 14, 2001, 09:21 AM

A) Hard to describe. Our group is the elite intellectually, but, not nerds or geeks. Don't care about school (sincerely), always in trouble or getting blamed for something, anti-jock, party'ers, trendies etc. Its really hard to describe.

B) Um... nope.

C) Haven't had the prom yet... its at the end of the year... and its called the "formal" down here...

D) Nope. I'm still in school, so it wouldn't make much sense

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2001, 09:58 AM

none really. i was sort of a loner/geek and kinda knew lots of people, and talked to lots of people, but only had a couple close friends. i wont try and kid you or anyone by trying to say "i was a geek, but the popular kind of geek" or something. i hated high school. i hated middle school even more.

nope.

i went to senior prom when i was a junior with some girl who asked me. i didnt really want to go but didnt know how to say no. it wasnt very fun so i didnt really want to go to my own. everyone said i would regret not going to mine one day, im still waiting for that to happen.

i actually got some sort of info the other day about the upcoming 10 year one. as per my answer to A, i didnt really know anyone so i doubt anyone would remember me. i dont really care about "catching up" with a bunch of people i didnt care about talking to the past ten years. i hope to die alone and miserable. haha

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 08:00 PM

Clicks are for kids. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I went to a killer high school. By my Senior year I knew the names of all 260 of my classmates (which is weird since I'm terrible with names). And people came from all over the Greater Los Angeles area to go to my high school, so geography did separate us a little. We didn't have clicks per se; at school we just hung out with friends that we shared more interests with. So while it seemed like everyone hung out in the same groups, we all got along fairly well. Outside of school, most of the class hung out together. As evidenced by some of the huge parties we had in those days.

Nope. None of that "most likely to....." crud. We only had a valedictorian and such.

My senior prom. The music stunk, so I just gambled all night. The anti-christmas dance was much more fun. It was basically a big party in which we all got really blotto.

D) Have you gone to any high school reunions?

No. The first one's at the 10 year mark.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2001, 08:08 PM

Well, if I was in any clique at all, it was definitley the "bad girl" clique. We were always the ones the whole school thought was on drugs (which was never true)

I actually hated high school, I ended up dropping out in the middle of sophmore year. BTW, I never went to prom...I went to a private school and we weren't allowed to dance. Our proms pretty much consisted of dinner and the opera. I am so glad I left...
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/albertwu/.Pictures/ichicks.gif[img]

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2001, 08:24 PM

I was the captain of the chess team... 'nough said
Of course, in my high school, a lot of different people played for the chess team, from typical nerds to varsity basketball jocks...

no

no comment

there hasn't been one yet since it's only been 4 years

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2001, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Ruby:
<STRONG>I went to a private school and we weren't allowed to dance. Our proms pretty much consisted of dinner and the opera. I am so glad I left... </STRONG>
This school sounds very familiar. We may have went to the same one.... Mind if I ask which one?

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2001, 11:44 PM

The clique I best fell into was the one that sort of mixed the elements of the intellectuals, the band geeks, and the outcasts. My friends were the types that could smoke a bowl after a long day of marching band practice and then go take the ACT's the next morning and pull a 35, if that helps you place them.

I'm not sure how well I ever fit into even that clique, though. My intentions when it came to social "cliques" were somewhat Machiavellian in High School...

The "committee" that picked these positions was composed entirely of cheerleaders and jocks. So the class whatevers just happened to all be cheerleaders and jocks. Big shock, huh?

I sure did. Luckily, I'll be going to my reuinions with the same woman.

Haven't had the chance yet. I've had "unofficial" reuinions with smaller groups of friends, though.

E) Would you attend any reunions?

Absolutely. I have to wait 8 more years, but it'll be well worth it.

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Joshua ]
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2001, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by Kestral:
<STRONG>

Wow, so after gym class, did you ogle the girls showering/changing or did they avoid you?</STRONG>
You aren't the first person to ask me that...

Um, personal code of honor and respect kept me from ogling...although some people wouldn't change in the same section as me, but that's their issue not mine. Altogether an ackward situation, though...:/
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

denim
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 11:17 AM

<STRONG>Clicks...like what group of people? Jocks, Preps, Geeks, Stoners....maybe I am spelling it wrong</STRONG>
Maybe you be, yes. "clique"

What is this, some kind of school assignment?

A) What clique were you with in hs?

Don't remember any cliques, really. I did certain things, and some others did similar things.

Was no such stuff.

Don't think there was one.

When I got notice of the 5th year one, back in 1987, I was still so pissed that I tore it up into little bitty bits. I haven't heard of any others, though I was talking with the woman/former-classmate/twit (nice looker, not very bright) who organizes them a few months ago, and she implied that there were some.

The 20th should be next year. I might go, we'll see. I just want to see how the twit looks at 38yo instead of 18. I'll watch you AGE, b.t.h, and in 20 year steps, too! (babe -&gt; used -&gt; hag)

I'm MUCH more interested in college reunions, as those were people with whom I actually spent time.

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: denim ]
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

one
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2001, 09:56 AM

<STRONG>A) What "click" were you with in hs?</STRONG>
outcasts, the too-intelligent-for-our-own-good types.
hippie cult leader

Nah, they had stuff like that, but it was mostly a tool of the ruling class
I went to one of 'em, forget which.... I wasn't very good @ getting dates in HS, these affairs were NOT designed to entertain the likes of me!
Went to my 10-yr; my life was going pretty well @ the time & for some reason I thought it'd be fun. I came roaring up on my motorcycle w/ my fashion-model gf behind me, to find myself surrounded by prematurely old people. A couple had actually done something in life, but the rest were just waiting around to die (and someof them were trying to accellerate the process). I came away from it feeling better about myself than I had when I got there.

Kinda wanted to go to my 20th, but life was not so good then. Had made the mistake of marrying a psycho hose beast, and didn't want that pack of losers to know how badly I'd screwed it up. I considered taking my two girlfriends (what an entrance WE would have made! ), but it didn't work out logistically....

One funny thing: there was this one girl/thing that avoided me like I was Typhoid Mary all thru HS (no kidding, if I entered a room, she'd move to get as far from me as possible - and exit ASAP); ten years later, she was still doing it. Was curious to see if she'd still be that childish @ the 30th (wanted to confront her & ask her why), but AFAIK they didn't have one & I didn't care enough to track it down.

So...did I like HS? Nooooooo! It sucked absolutely. I wouldn't go thru that again for real money....

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: one ]

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: one ]
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2001, 11:16 AM

Cliques: not really. Hung out with everyone from the 'jocks' (if you can call them that) to the 'L33T g33ks' (if you can call them that). I attended a 'gifted' high school, so the social divisions between the different classes of people were pretty weak. Everyone accepted everyone else for what they were, mostly.

Voted anything: Most Athletic Grad. Also picked up Most Sportsmanlike Athlete, MVP for Grade 11 Volleyball team two years ago.

Prom (called 'Grad' up here near Ottawa): will be attending come June 28th.

Reunions: nope. Hope I will, though, 'cause there are a bunch of really amazing people at my school. Gonna miss a lot of them come University in the fall.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Jun 16, 2001, 12:46 PM

I'm watching American High on PBS and wanted to know

I'm Class of 1987, so it's been a long time.

A.) I was in with the nerdy "Clique" when I started High School and up until my senior year. I then made a huge tunr-around and became a complete burnout, into Heavy metal music, Painting Album Covers of peoples Denim Jackets, playing Bass Guitar, etc., etc. I think what started my "respect" in some capacity other than the "guy that hangs out with the nerdy crowd" was when I had an open house party at the parents place. They were away on Vacation, so I invited everyone and told them to bring whoever they wanted to. BIG MISTAKE.

B.) I Was Selected for a Summer Arts program, and went for three years inbetween HS seasons, and after my senior year. I don't think this was a publicly "known" thing however. So otherwise I just kept a low profile.

C.) I regret not going now, but no I didn't. Instead I went to a hotel party and got totally "ucked-fup"

D.) I haven't gone to any reunions yet, but I'm thinking about it for the next one.

Mike

Peter Combs
Jun 17, 2001, 08:33 AM

I guess the nerdy clique. We have, in our group, me:who doesn't work at all hard and yet often does as well or better than everyone else. A super-genius who knows more digits of pi than I care to think about and the entire periodic table of the elements. Albert. And a few other people, who are sometimes dificult to describe.

Err.. Haven't gradulated yet. Won't for a long time, too. Maybe "Most likely to die of a concussion after hitting head on a doorway" (I'm 15 years old and 6'3" or 190 cm for you metric users out there)

I'm gonna be a Soph in the fall, so no. But that does remind me of an interesting story-My mom was in San Diego this may, visiting her mom for mothers day, and she's at a beauty parlor getting her hair done. While she's there, she meets this girl going to her prom without a date. So my mom gets on the phone, calls me up to see if I wanna go (I have my own tux, in case I ever need one). This would involve flying down about 300 miles, going to the prom, getting up early the next morning to fly back, since I had to go to my part time job at 11 that morning. Well, I say sure, figguring it'll be a hell of a story to tell my kids. Anyway, eventually the girl backed out, so I ended up not going, but... I can't think of a way to end this sentence.

D) Have you gone to any high school reunions?
We'll see, once I graduate.
"Blessed is he who has nothing to say and cannot be persuaded to say it"
-I don't know who first said it, but I heard it from <A HREF="http://"http://www.weblayout.com/witness/"" TARGET=_blank>Uli's Moose</A>

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2001, 12:49 PM

a - My school was small enough not to have many clicks, it was basically all the cool kids and then the "drama nerds" as we called them. It was a very tight class.

b - Nah I never got any special awards.

c - But of course..I went to the Junior and Senior Proms with very hot dates

d - And since I just graduated no reunions yet.

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2001, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by cteselle:
<STRONG>

This school sounds very familiar. We may have went to the same one.... Mind if I ask which one?</STRONG>
Calvary Chapel High School...that would be so wierd if I knew you...

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2001, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by Ruby:
<STRONG>

Calvary Chapel High School...that would be so wierd if I knew you...</STRONG>
OMG!!! This IS very weird... I went there too...

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: cteselle ]

Ruby
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2001, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by cteselle:
<STRONG>

OMG!!! This IS very weird... I went there too...

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: cteselle ]</STRONG>
Are you serious?? E-mail me!

nougatmachine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2001, 11:57 AM

The problem with me is that I'm such an eclectic and strange person, so I don't fit into cliques at all! I get along well with many people, but I don't truly "belong" to any clique. So, I sometimes hang out with the drama kids (which aren't really a clique, just whoever was in the play this year), band/music kids, metalheads, nerds, popular kids, whoever. Just about the only people I don't get along with are certain jocks (some are actually nice people, but many are true a--holes), dumb people who are popular because of how they look, and any miscellaneous kids who annoy me. Also, I hung out with a lot of older kids like poocat did, so next year, being a senior will be a little strange at first.

Well like I said, next year is my senior year so the final voting hasn't started yet. But just about everyone under the sun nominated me for "most musical", and a few loose cannons with a good sense of humor nominated me for "best hair", and if I had a picture to show you, you would understand why that's really funny

Well, we don't have junior proms, so next year is my only chance and the outlook for me going isn't that good. Unless I meet somebody in my senior year that I really like, I probably won't go. I went to homecoming last year with an older girl who at the time I really liked and didn't enjoy it too much. I didn't like the music the played, it was too loud to really talk to people...bleh. It really made me not want to go to any more High School dances. And if that was with someone I really liked, imagine how I would feel if I went alone! :-P

Don't plan to. Maybe I could sneak in with last year's senior class reunions, and get to meet up with the people I enjoyed the most in High School

(edit: deleted a sentence that didn't make sense)

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: nougatmachine ]

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2001, 12:34 PM

[quote]Originally posted by ironknee:

A) What "click" were you with in hs?</STRONG>
No.
B) Were you named as class anything?[/QB]
Too long ago.
C) Did you go to your prom?[/QB]
I had two dates in high school - one to the junior prom and then senior prom. Ah, okay I guess.
D) Have you gome to any high school reunions?[/QB]
I missed the ten year by a week (I was in the Navy). Met my best friend from high school that week, however. Then he died in a car accident the next week.
20th - I had sarted new job and couldn't get away.
30th - Grand children had priority.
35th coming soon - probably won't go.

I have made contact with a few when I visit the area. But that is much more pleasant than the reunion scene; you can visit and find out how people really are, not how they pretend to be in front of everyone else. I don't drink and I'm allergic to smoke, so that is even more reason not to go.

I feel old - is it time for bed or snacks?
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2001, 04:13 PM

</STRONG>
A: I don't really know, I never really thought about it. I guess all my friends are pretty different, so I don't know.

B: Class Idiot

C: Nope, night before the SAT's (Junior year) and none of my friends were going

D: Didn't graduate yet.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2001, 07:31 PM

</STRONG>
A) What "click"? Now-a-days you woulda called it the Tranch Coat Mafia. I hate to conjure up murder-spree images, but ten years ago in junior high and HS we all ran around in tranchcoats, mostly black (like my lovly London Fog). I ran around with the druggies and dropouts. I was in all the top-track classes and got good grades so the nerds were nice to me. I dated a "popular" girl, so the trendies would tolerate me (it helped that I was usually sporting The Gap). The thugs would kick my ass regularly.

B) Class anything? Nope. Someone drew in my yearbook best hair (I had quite a poofy doo). Infact, I wasn't even in my senior yearbook at all! In a school of nearly 3000 students I guess a few get left out.

C) Prom? Many! Sophmore year I went to my GF's Winter Ball, but she took someone else to the Junior Prom. Junior year I took her to my Junior Prom, and she was goin to take me to her Senior Prom, but I crashed up the car a few days before (no alcohol involed, just dumb teenagers) and my parents wouldn't let me go. She was pissed that she had to find another date on 12 hours notice! Senior year, she came back from college and went to my Senior Prom.

D) Reunions? Nope. I'm not about to go to my 5th year reuion... I barely left. Maybe my 10 year though (in 2 years). We'll see.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Peter Combs:
<STRONG>A super-genius who knows more digits of pi than I care to think about and the entire periodic table of the elements.</STRONG>
LOL... Now if only he would help me with my chem quiz tomorrow...

Originally posted by Peter Combs:
<STRONG>Albert. And a few other people, who are sometimes dificult to describe.</STRONG>
Oh... THANKS.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Peter Combs
Jun 20, 2001, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
<STRONG>

Oh... THANKS. </STRONG>
You misunderstand. There was a period after your name, which means end of sentence. The next one is entirely unrelated. I decided not to give a description of you since I figgured with your 2000 some odd posts, people could get some idea of your personality without me wasting their time. Plus, I was too lazy.
"Blessed is he who has nothing to say and cannot be persuaded to say it"
-I don't know who first said it, but I heard it from <A HREF="http://"http://www.weblayout.com/witness/"" TARGET=_blank>Uli's Moose</A>

shanraghan
Senior User
Jun 21, 2001, 12:17 AM

</STRONG>
A) Webteam-gumi and random others.
B) No, and if I were it would be rendered ineffective due to my significant lack of class pride, which results in my dissociation with my so-called 'class'.
C) Generally, sophomores have to go to somebody else's prom, and I didn't go to any, so no. Besides, I would have been forced to kill at least one junior and perhaps several sophomores had I gone.
D) It'd be a pity if a class had to be reunited before it graduates, ne? &gt;.^
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2001, 06:10 PM

A) I'm what is known as a clique "spanner". I have lots of friends, some who hang on in cliques, but I refuse to be drawn into any group. I hate cliques. There are so many interesting people around me, it would be a real social block to be in a clique. I have groups of friends I hang out with, but I can't imagine ever being exclusive.

B) Meaning my positions in school? I was on Senate, when I graduated 9th grade I won the theatre award and effort award. Now I've been appointed to the Diversity Sub-Committee and I'm co-president of the GSA, as well as a chief editor of our school's newspaper. But I'm not class anything, our school doesn't really do that.

C) My school's prom is only for seniors, and I'm just a junior. But I went to my boyfriend's prom (he goes to a different school where everyone can go to the "formal") It was lots of fun. I'll spare you the details I went to the middle of the year dance with my friend Leah (before I was going out with anyone) That was fun too. Just, in different ways.

D) My last school ended at 9th grade. I'm in 11th grade now, but I still go to every 9th grade get together I can. We had a wonderful class. They were characters.

Maxintosh

grok420
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2001, 06:39 PM

A) Small school so cliques weren't that pronounced. I was a 'spanner'. I did basketball, football, track, cross country, choir, madrigal, theater, shakespeare club, debate, speech. I wasn't popular, just did what i wanted. I suppose others woould say i was in one clique or another but it would depend on who you asked. I was comfortable in a lot of different crowds but ultimately i did my own thing. Academics were a joke so i kept my sanity doing all the others things that interested me.

B) graduated 1/3 of the way into my senior year so i wasn't around when they voted on that stuff. i believe i was nominated for 'Biggest Flirt', though. someone told me that anyway....

C) went to 3 different proms as a junior (dated girls at other schools). skipped my senior prom because my date looked too good and i didn't want to waste time at the dance.:-)

D) missed the 5 year and 10 year reunions.

E) probably won't bother at this point. i've kept in touch with the people i cared about and they got away from it like i did. I have to admit that i have a morbid curiousity about what happened to all the jocks and cheerleaders that everyone worshipped. i'm sure they're all in trailer parks by now..hehehe
It's wise to know who wrote the music to which we dance.

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2001, 08:31 PM

Cool to see this thread continuing...

Since I started it but didn't tell my story here it is:

clique: I guess outcast...I hung aroung with the fringe people...those who don't belong anywhere...nerds, freaks, etc...

Class Artist....believe it or not...again not popular but got the nod...strange

Prom no. My senior prom was on June 12, 1982. That was the same day the largest protest of nuclear armament ever held was in NYC. So I went to it insteat...

Reunions. I wanted to send a letter to my 5th year reunion saying I died, then show up in my 10th year reunion. But was, surprisingly, argued out of doing so by almost everyone.

I went to my 10th reunion. I suggest EVERYONE go....remember I was not popular...but the experience is sublime....someone walks up to you and says, HEY sam how areyou? ...but you dont remember them....but you dont want to be rude....and just smile...then, like a head rush, you begin to see the person the way they were 10 years ago.!!!

I can't explain how bizzar that experience was....Also seeing all the assholes with dead end lives was a plus!

Sorry for my rambling.....my 20th reunion is next year

Sam

Forum Links
Forum Rules