Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Book recommendations for teens? ...

Book recommendations for teens? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2008, 09:31 AM

Looking for book recommendations for my kids at the teen/young teen level. Mostly fiction I think.

Maybe something in the spy genre?

All ideas appreciated, thanks! ;-)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 09:41 AM

Harry Potter

Lemony Snicket - A Series of Unfortunate Events

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 09:49 AM

His Dark Materials
we don't have time to stop for gas

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 09:54 AM

Catcher in the Rye
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
The Once and Future King

suganutz2
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 09:55 AM

I enjoyed reading Stephen King's short stories as a kid. They were collected in Skeleton Crew, Night Shift, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and most recently Everything's Eventual. I'm reading Blaze right now, and it's a lot better than his most recent work, at least for me.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 10:21 AM

I second His Dark Materials and The Harry Potter Series.

I know you said mostly fiction, but when I was a teen, I was fascinated with airplanes and really enjoyed books on the history of aviation. If your kids have an interest in a subject, they might get into a bit of specific history they will not get in school.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 10:22 AM

I think I was reading DragonLance, Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft when I was a teen.

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 10:45 AM

Isaac Assimov
Victor Hugo
Agatha Christie
Enid Blyton
Alexandre Dumas

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 11:09 AM

Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Outsiders
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 11:16 AM

Don't forget that the Harry Potter series is available on CD, where the reader, Jim Dale, won an award for the number (and quality) of voices that he gives to the characters. Really useful if you're on a long trip, whether driving or flying. His reading brings the books to life, which reinvigorates the books and draws the kids into more reading. And, if your kids have any fluency in a second language, they can listen to the books in whatever language: Since the kids usually know the books so well, they can follow the story in that second language and can therefore pick up the spoken cadence and phrasing of the second language, by immersion. Vocabulary is picked up by context, where they know what's coming, and can predict that this funny word must be "broomstick", for example. You can Special Order these at your public library--I had to get the German version interlibrary loan from Mankato U.

They might as well be listening to books on the iPod rather than whatever music they're into. At the very least, they won't be listening to books at a volume level that will destroy their hearing?

Find the best public libraries nearby, get them library cards, pay whatever fines may come without (undue) protest, and ferry them to the libraries regularly. A good library will have Science Fiction and/or Fantasy sections, and if some cases, Young Adults. It'll save you a ton of money, especially once you start bringing in books by putting them on Hold, or interlibrary loan, etc.

There's Anne McCaffrey's Dragon's of Perth series, Mercedes Lackey early books (the Valdemar series), Raymond Feist's early books (Magician's Apprentice, etc.), Tamora Pierce (Beka Cooper), Michelle Sagara (Cast in Shadow, Cast in Courtlight, etc.--hopefully, the kids won't want tattoos). You may even enjoy some of these yourself? Best to know what they're reading, in any case, 'cause you'll maybe wanna steer them away from the vampire series, etc.

Problem is that so many books in this genre are written for teenage boys who are into violent video games, so the editors steer the authors into putting in violent crimes (usually against women) in the first 20 pages.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2008, 12:40 PM

Good stuff, thanks, all!!! ;-)

HenryMelton
Aug 20, 2008, 01:31 PM

I have to recommend the Small Towns, Big Ideas series, by ... er, me.

YA science fiction that's getting great reviews. The first title, Emperor Dad is in fact available as an iPhone App Book. But there are three titles out in paper on all the online book stores. High school aged protagonists, current time, and then something strange happens. Lighter Than Air, number four, is coming out next month.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 02:01 PM

I'd add Piers Anthony to the sci fi fantasy genre. I really enjoyed the Xanth books as a young'n.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I think I was reading DragonLance
Oh god I was obsessed with that series...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 02:37 PM

if you want the Harry Potter audiobooks, get the british version.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 02:47 PM

For younger sf fans, James Blish - Cities in Flight series and Welcome to Mars

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Oh god I was obsessed with that series...
Go rent the cartoon movie DVD, it's awful.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 02:59 PM

Probably a MacBook. I wouldn't think that most teenagers would need the power of a MacBook Pro, and the Air wouldn't be so fitting.

Sorry. That wasn't funny.

I read Noble House by James Clavell when I was 16, and to date that was the best read of my life.

That and most books by Chrichton - until I started to see too many similarities is his books.

These may be "adult" novels and contain concepts and content that might seem "inappropriate" for teens, but I turned out okay. (finished school at 15, went to college, got my diploma and started paying my own way at 17, my parents' dream!)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
if you want the Harry Potter audiobooks, get the british version.
Nope, no audiobooks for me. I ordered the box set with Adult covers from Amazon UK and read those instead of the Americanized ones sold over here.

Later I found out that the opthalmologist that works at our clinic is a huge Harry Potter fan; he's read all the books twice and is reading them a third time. I brought in the British Adult editions and he went totally nuts over them. I had to show him that you can use the same account on all the international versions of the Amazon web site... all the addresses and credit cards that were on file from the American site were available on the UK site with the automatic addition of "United States" at the end of the addresses.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
And, if your kids have any fluency in a second language, they can listen to the books in whatever language: Since the kids usually know the books so well, they can follow the story in that second language and can therefore pick up the spoken cadence and phrasing of the second language, by immersion. Vocabulary is picked up by context, where they know what's coming, and can predict that this funny word must be "broomstick", for example. You can Special Order these at your public library--I had to get the German version interlibrary loan from Mankato U.
Heck, you can improve your reading skills in another language that way, too, with the books. I myself recently ordered the Greek translations of the Harry Potter books, in order to improve my Greek-reading ability.

And I sent the American versions to my (now 13 year old) cousin in Greece who's nuts for the books (and movies). She's using them to improve her English. When I went to Greece when she was 10 her room was a shrine to Daniel Radcliffe, and then when I went back last year (when she was 12) the Daniel Radcliffe shrine was still there, only it had expanded from one wall to three walls.

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I'd add Piers Anthony to the sci fi fantasy genre. I really enjoyed the Xanth books as a young'n.
seconded, "a spell for chameleon" is very good.
one post closer to five stars

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
I concur. A trilogy in six parts.

Also, Clan of the Cave Bear. Very good stuff.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2008, 07:55 PM

Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series is great.

The first is The Lightning Thief.

It's the story of the Greek gods and their adolescent half-blood children alive and well in the 21st century, struggling with regular teen angst as well as their divine powers. Oh yeah, the end of the world figures into it too.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2008, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
I read Noble House by James Clavell when I was 16, and to date that was the best read of my life.

That and most books by Chrichton - until I started to see too many similarities is his books.

These may be "adult" novels and contain concepts and content that might seem "inappropriate" for teens, but I turned out okay. (finished school at 15, went to college, got my diploma and started paying my own way at 17, my parents' dream!)
I'm guessing you didn't major in lit.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 04:38 AM

ka-pow!

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 04:43 AM

Animal Farm
The Great Gatsby

every boy has to have read a copy of The Rats by James Herbert by the time he is 14, it's teh lawz or something, although an acceptable alternative is The Fog, because it has a lesbian scene in it and gains 1,000,000 school yard cred points.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 05:18 AM

No. Well done!

You get the Gold Medal!

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2008, 09:11 AM

Agatha Christie and Enid Blyton!

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Aug 21, 2008, 09:43 PM

Cather in the Rye and The Perks of being a Wallflower. Perks is my favorite book of all time.

Cipher13
Aug 22, 2008, 05:39 AM

Tomorrow When the War Began.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 04:49 AM

- Inkworld trilogy
Inkworld is a series of three fantasy novels written by German author Cornelia Funke, comprising Inkheart (2003), Inkspell (2005), and Inkdeath (2007)...

- The Discworld series
by Terry Pratchett

- Jules Verne
(20.000 Leagues Under the Sea, I have read that ten times as a kid)

- Erich Kästner
Emil and the Detectives

(I wouldn't see 1984 or Catcher in the Rye to be young teen's material)
( Last edited by Powerbook; Aug 24, 2008 at 03:01 PM. )
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2008, 04:24 PM

In the SF genre, I spent much of my youth reading the "Known Space" series by Larry Niven. Ringworld is probably the most famous (and likely his best).

It's rightfully considered "hard" SF, though I should point out that some of his science is going to be 30 years out of date, and some of it was just wrong to begin with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules