Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Saw Styx last night.

Saw Styx last night.
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2004, 08:54 PM

They kicked ass. Even in a crappy outdoor "arena", in a downpour, with marginal sound equipment, their performance kicked ass.

Apparently, they were pretty enamored with Alaska. Tommy Shaw gave a nice write-up about the gig at STYXworld.com.
Last night we performed before one of the most enthusiastic, most resilient audiences we can ever recall. Even though we spent less that 48 hours in Anchorage, where our hotel was and Palmer where the show was held, we felt the spirit of the people loud and clear. You'd have to be made of concrete not to. When we heard that the first major storm all summer was scheduled the day of our show. Temperatures were expected to drop, rain was coming and so we were obviously concerned about the turnout. . That was until we mentioned it to locals. It was met with a resounding look of disbelief and a hearty, "This is Alaska." That said it all.
(I just quoted the first paragraph...)

Go ahead. Call me a dinosaur.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 08:57 PM

No pics?

I'll still never forgive my parents for not letting me see them during their Kilroy tour

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by starman:
No pics?
It was raining SO HARD, my camera would have been toast.
There were some people with waterproof disposables snapping pics.

Oh, and they didn't play Mr. Roboto. Go figure.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:04 PM

I can't think of styx without thinking of cartman singing "come sail away"

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
They kicked ass. Even in a crappy outdoor "arena", in a downpour, with marginal sound equipment, their performance kicked ass.

Apparently, they were pretty enamored with Alaska. Tommy Shaw gave a nice write-up about the gig at STYXworld.com.

(I just quoted the first paragraph...)

Go ahead. Call me a dinosaur.
You, mmmmmmmammmoth....

I used to love Styx. Especially everything they did before "Pieces of Eight". I still think about "Serpent is Rising" and the funny "Plexiglas toilet".

Man.... I am not getting younger...

PS: Northerners Rule!
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
I used to love Styx. Especially everything they did before "Pieces of Eight". I still think about "Serpent is Rising" and the funny "Plexiglas toilet".
You would have loved the show. They played a lot of their older stuff. They even did a tribute to Ray Charles, and played that Beatles "walrus" ditty, as well as some kick ass piano solos every now and then.

For the first time since high school (I'm 34) there was a drunk in the back of my car puking out the car window on the way home.

Good times, good times.

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
You would have loved the show. They played a lot of their older stuff. They even did a tribute to Ray Charles, and played that Beatles "walrus" ditty, as well as some kick ass piano solos every now and then.

For the first time since high school (I'm 34) there was a drunk in the back of my car puking out the car window on the way home.

Good times, good times.
Aaah..

Puking freely on the dirty Northern roads...

Stealing Dad's company car with a few girls and guys and go for the mountain...

Watch the fool (sic) Moon and listen to Styx and some Pink Floyd and some Shawn Phillips...

A few brewskis and a couple hundred thousands of Mosquitoes and black flies...

I was 14 and careless and happy...

Memories...
( Last edited by angaq0k; Aug 27, 2004 at 11:07 PM. )
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 10:58 PM

saw styx back in 77 (?)

was it the original members?

btw, don't they have rules about no cameras in concerts? how does one get them in?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
was it the original members?
btw, don't they have rules about no cameras in concerts? how does one get them in?
No, Gowan's on lead vocals & keyboards since Dennis is out (and doing a great job IMO), and John Panozzo died in 1996. But Chuck, Tommy and James are still in, and still kicking butt. I saw them 2 years ago with Saga, and they had more energy and stage presence than half the younger bands I go see.

And it's not like you can't get cameras into shows, just take small ones.

I never really liked the "Cornerstone" album, but "Pieces of Eight" and "Equinox" still rock.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

AKcrab  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 27, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
You have to understand... This was the Alaska State Fair (we joke that it's "where bands go to die") and it's really a stage *barely* big enough for Styx, 20 colored lights and four large speaker stacks in front of a grassy knoll. There was no real "security" so to speak, but it was partially due to weather. Just ask 4000 soaking wet people to unzip their raincoats and put aside their umbrellas to get frisked. Not gonna happen.

Our main venues maintained by SMG are indeed very strict. You can't get a camera in, and if you do, you better make sure the flash doesn't go off.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 01:30 AM

i got dragged to a styx show back in the late 70's...i guess around when pieces of eight (or as i prefer - pizza's i ate) came out...i was not a fan at all, but maybe because i had such low expectations i ended up enjoying it more...they did do a pretty good show.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 10:38 AM

Loved Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight. On LP, baby -- the only way to fly.

"We now have everything, or so people say,
But how this emptiness haunts me every day..."
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules