Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I guess they weren't shown enough love...

I guess they weren't shown enough love...
Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 04:19 AM

Woman mauled by home-invading pit bulls | Top Stories | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington

Odd how the Jack Russell that also entered the house didn't go after the woman- because, you know, Pit Bulls are as safe as any other dog.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 05:18 AM

It's not dogs that kill people, it's...nevermind.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2007, 08:32 AM

Jack Russell terriers think they're Rotweillers. They have a tendency to attack other dogs that are being aggressive toward them-or aggressive toward people.

Frankly this is an example of why "leaving a dog outside" all the time is stupid. They are pack animals; they need socialization and interaction with people in order to establish their position in the pack hierarchy. If they don't get that interaction, they form their own ideas of position, and big, powerful dogs wind up behaving aggressively. Little dogs do to - chihuahuas are horribly aggressive, but since they're tiny their owners think their behavior is "cute."

Further, from the description of the woman's injuries, it sounds like they were not attacking her (dogs go for the throat, you know) but doing something else. When dogs interact with each other, particularly in play, they nip and bite at extremities and faces. Just like how these dogs injured the woman in the report.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Jack Russell terriers think they're Rotweillers. They have a tendency to attack other dogs that are being aggressive toward them-or aggressive toward people.
My friend bent over to pet a Jack Russell once and it bit half of his nose off. He had to have 2 plastic surgeries.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
My friend bent over to pet a Jack Russell once and it bit half of his nose off. He had to have 2 plastic surgeries.
See-even cute, small dogs can be dangerous if they're not trained and managed properly. I'm very sorry about your friend's nose.

I am always appalled that people buy pets without the amount of thought to what is behind that cute face that they dedicate to choosing a pair of shoes. Jack Russells are VERY high energy dogs, and as terriers they're fighters. That's what terriers do-they were bred to hunt and kill vermin. But people look at their cute faces and say "I'll take that one" instead of doing some homework and finding out what it takes to manage such smart, extremely active dogs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 08:51 AM

My friend's Jack Russell turned on them and attacked their eldest son. He's got scars on his face for life now. Well, small scars. But still, scars.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 08:52 AM

We need a group of posters to make a concerted effort to find news stories about Jack Russells gone bad.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 22, 2007, 09:07 AM

Of course this land is dangerous!
All of the animals
Are capably murderous.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It's not dogs that kill people, it's...nevermind.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 22, 2007, 10:51 AM

If I ever have kids of my own, and another kid kicks, bites, or hits him or her to the point of hospital care is needed, I want the kid that caused said damage to be put to death ASAP.

Kids are vicious. Esp on playgrounds. I wont go into the back street "kid fighting" that goes on. People betting an everything.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 10:59 AM

Finally, some legislation I can get behind.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2007, 01:24 PM

Yeah, it really irks me when I see terrible owners. You can't fault the animal. The owner is 95% responsible for their dog's behavior. At my apartment, a lady comes into the little park on the property with her pit bull. Another couple was there, holding their dog (some some sort of schnauzer mix) and petting it. She starts lecturing them on how they shouldn't be holding their dog (???), while at the same time unleashing her pit bull. Instantly, the pit bull charges the schnauzer and latches onto his leg. The schnauzer's owner is trying to lift his dog up while punching the pit bull in the head. The bull finally releases, and the owner of the pit bull starts yelling at the owner of the schnauzer for not having control over his dog.

I was speechless. She's yelling at the other owner because her own dog went berzerk and mauled a schnauzer sitting in someone's lap. Some people are just unbelievably stupid.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Warhaven View Post
Yeah, it really irks me when I see terrible owners. You can't fault the animal. The owner is 95% responsible for their dog's behavior. At my apartment, a lady comes into the little park on the property with her pit bull. Another couple was there, holding their dog (some some sort of schnauzer mix) and petting it. She starts lecturing them on how they shouldn't be holding their dog (???), while at the same time unleashing her pit bull. Instantly, the pit bull charges the schnauzer and latches onto his leg. The schnauzer's owner is trying to lift his dog up while punching the pit bull in the head. The bull finally releases, and the owner of the pit bull starts yelling at the owner of the schnauzer for not having control over his dog.

I was speechless. She's yelling at the other owner because her own dog went berzerk and mauled a schnauzer sitting in someone's lap. Some people are just unbelievably stupid.
You must watch this video. I insist.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 02:45 PM

I'm sorry. But you guys have been arguing this back and forth for weeks now. I understand the owner has a lot to do with the dog's behavior. I understand dogs left alone can be destructive. I understand how important training your animal is. But, I still cannot believe that the breed of this dog has nothing to do with their behavior. I believe that there are some breeds that cannot help the fact that deep within them is the innate trait that can come out or not.

They may be wonderful dogs. I have been tempted to adopt one on a few occasions because I believe they can be sweet, well-behaved animals. But I will never in my own mind be 100% confident that my pit bull (if I had one) would not attack something or someone.

I do believe they get a bad rap press-wise and that other breed attacks do not get as much attention. However, it is known that Rottweillers and Pit Bulls are responsible for the majority. It is just not worth the risk to me.

Just had to get out my 2¢.

Rumor
Aug 22, 2007, 03:45 PM

Black people and Mexicans kill each other for no reason sometimes. Even though it isn't all of them and just a few, that proves they are ultimately dangerous and should be outlawed.

That is the same logic used for outlawing breeds of dogs. Put into the perspective, doesn't it sound rediculous?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Black people and Mexicans kill each other for no reason sometimes. Even though it isn't all of them and just a few, that proves they are ultimately dangerous and should be outlawed.
Once again is the problem that they have bad owners.

Slavery joke anyone?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 03:52 PM

Wow...
My jaw just hit my belly button.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 03:53 PM

Too soon?

Rumor
Aug 22, 2007, 03:54 PM

Doesn't surprise me with the size of that jaw.

Zing!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 03:55 PM

You know its funny how many people are defending pitbulls and saying they're not bad, its the owners fault. Yet we still here stories of pit bulls who were not abused maul a child or family member.

I was at an charity event this past weekend, and some guy had a pitball he called him a marshmellow. I was not about to let my kids out of the stroller with him there. I don't care how many excuses people make for the dog, it was not going to go near my kids, the risk was not worth it.

I'm no expert but I keep hearing how the dog was bred for fighting and can be a very aggressive dog. Some dogs like labs are great with kids, this is not one of them.

Rumor
Aug 22, 2007, 03:58 PM

A friend of mine has a papered red nose pit, 80lbs of solid muscle and thinks he is a 10lbs lap dog. He loves to roll over and have his stomach rubbed.

My 150lbs St. Bernard (R.I.P.) is the sweetest thing in the world unless you have a uniform and a badge.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Too soon?
I believe you have an appointment with a Mr. Sharpton for a radio appearance.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
My 150lbs St. Bernard (R.I.P.) is the sweetest thing in the world unless you have a uniform and a badge.
Well-trained?

Rumor
Aug 22, 2007, 04:02 PM

I think it had something to do with the attitude they put off when we got pulled over. Needless to say, he wouldn't reach in for my girlfriends license.

No witty remark to the jaw comment?

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Further, from the description of the woman's injuries, it sounds like they were not attacking her (dogs go for the throat, you know) but doing something else. When dogs interact with each other, particularly in play, they nip and bite at extremities and faces. Just like how these dogs injured the woman in the report.
I'd have to guess one of these dogs was yours, because this is over the line of common sense and into naiveté. When was the last time a dog playing with you left you covered in blood? Did you try to stop it? If so, did it or they become penitent like any sane dog should or just keep going for blood?

Just play... WTF??

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2007, 12:57 AM

Glenn is right: If a dog is seriously trying to kill you, it will go for the neck. That's the instinct. Animals often do hurt each other (yes, to the point of bleeding) while playing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zro
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 02:14 AM

Who says they didn't go for her neck? The victim most likely had enough sense to obstruct her neck with her arms.

Imagine a pair of dogs wandering outside their turf without the boss around. You "experts" should know that their behavior can be radically aggressive in that scenario. And particularly in a pack. They enter a strange house and startle the person inside awake. What do you think the victim does upon waking to two pit bulls in her immediate vicinity? Instigate play or give out a shriek? A sane dog would have gotten the **** out. An aggressive dog would attack.

Just playing my ass.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
I'd have to guess one of these dogs was yours, because this is over the line of common sense and into naiveté. When was the last time a dog playing with you left you covered in blood? Did you try to stop it? If so, did it or they become penitent like any sane dog should or just keep going for blood?

Just play... WTF??
Yeah. Exactly.

Even if we were to accept against all evidence that Pits are no more aggressive than any other dog, or that they are naturally docile creatures who happen to have bad owners, the problem still remains that when things go wrong with them the go REALLY WRONG and people get hurt, disfigured or killed. Maybe Jack Russells think they are badass and go after bigger dogs or nip (yes sometimes even bite to the point of requiring stitches), even a child could swat them into submission. The dogs in the story, when confronted with grown, armed, police still needed to be locked in a house, then subdued with pepper spray and almost shot- just to make things safe.

Paco500  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2007, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Glenn is right: If a dog is seriously trying to kill you, it will go for the neck. That's the instinct. Animals often do hurt each other (yes, to the point of bleeding) while playing.
Oh- so it's ok then. Never mind.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 09:42 AM

take a look at this vicious dog!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckCP0ROh0Cg

Forum Links
Forum Rules