Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 6)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 03:03 AM

Anyone else notice how much the loading screen looks like the "Slide to unlock" shimmer on the iPhone?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 04:11 AM

I'm upto about 30% of the game complete, its really really good. Multiplayer is exceptional.
we don't have time to stop for gas

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 06:07 AM

Played a few hours the other night (was out lastnight) and got the Off the boat, Pool shark and Driving Mr Bellic achievements. Good stuff so far .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2008, 07:51 AM

I'm going to be itching to play all day at work...

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Wa' chu talkin Willis? I picked up my copy last night. I got the same amount of achievements as Maroma.
When I checked LIVE yesterday, it hadn't listed it as a game you had played.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 08:40 AM

Alright, first impressions, take 'em or leave 'em:

- Loved the opening credits. Had a LOST DVD kind of feel to them, in certain aspects.

- First time I was driving at noon -- the graininess, oh my god, the graininess. Mostly the shadows, but you can see it around characters sometimes. This distracted me for half the night to the point that I was happy every time it wasn't around mid-day. Slowly getting used to it.

- Yeah, that driving is a bear. Thanks to the insane springiness of the car suspensions 1st person view in car mode really isn't plausible. I'm a little confused as to what the difference between the A brake and the other two brakes is. They seem to have manufactured it so you either don't turn at all, or do a 180º.

- On the plus side, I've noticed that the cars seem to take much longer to get up to their max speeds. This makes city driving much better. The best handling car so far was a convertible coupe. The name escapes at the moment.

- Oh, where the hell is the speedometer? I have a health bar and armor bar, give me a damn speedometer. I mean, really.

- Good dialogue, decent voice acting, but does it seem like foreigners (particularly Niko) talk slower and try to enunciate more (my guess is as an attempt to be understandable sans subtitles)?

- Liking the new target and cover system.

- The mini-games I played so far have all been pretty well designed, if a bit simple and easy. We should have a bowling outing *snicker*

- Locating new shops and restaurants is a little bit of a pain, given how many places look like they might have an interior.

- Once again Rockstar* has done some excellent work on the radio stations. Radio Broker seems ot be the new Radio X (and therefore, my go to station), but a few of the off-genre stations for me have been quite pleasant, and my ass is also loving the new age station "The Journey" (I was very amused when I pulled some white twenty-something douché out of his Rav4-like SUV and found this was what he was listening to. Also of note: That thing handles like ass).

- Making their transition from radio I watched a little bit of TV. I can say definitively, that Republican Space Rangers is awesome.

- I had sex. twice. I did not call the next day.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I unlocked the second island and took at chopper joy ride.
What % done are you? I'd like an idea of how far I have to go before I get some extra island goodness.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 10:16 AM

Hey, can you have a User Track Player for a radio station? You could on the PC version of SA... I don't know how many people store music on consoles though.

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
- First time I was driving at noon -- the graininess, oh my god, the graininess. Mostly the shadows, but you can see it around characters sometimes. This distracted me for half the night to the point that I was happy every time it wasn't around mid-day. Slowly getting used to it.
Oh man, I hate graininess as well...
Fix for the PC version!
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Hey, can you have a User Track Player for a radio station? You could on the PC version of SA... I don't know how many people store music on consoles though.
Nope. You can still use the 360's built in music player, but it plays over game sounds.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 11:18 AM

Anyone go to the Internet Cafe yet? Browse the shopping and company links you'll see a nice jab at Apple. They have a company called Fruit Computers.

and the iFlick phone. LOL

a good dating service. www.pointclickabitch.com

Myspace is My Room Online

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2008, 11:28 AM

My favorite car so far is the Blista Compact, an old favorite of mine from Vice City.

The droptop Benz coupe is a close second, it's faster and handles really well.

As for the bowling meetup....I'm totally down...and I think it would be hilarious to throw ten frames then hit up the strip club or something

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Nope. You can still use the 360's built in music player, but it plays over game sounds.
Bit of a bummer. I enjoy adding Animals by Nickelback and Paranoid by Black Sabbath (plus quite a few others) to my GTA experience. They just seem to fit.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Anyone go to the Internet Cafe yet? Browse the shopping and company links you'll see a nice jab at Apple. They have a company called Fruit Computers.

and the iFlick phone. LOL

a good dating service. www.pointclickabitch.com

Myspace is My Room Online
LOL is right. I can't wait to browse the web in GTA as well as real life; sounds awesome!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Wa' chu talkin Willis? I picked up my copy last night. I got the same amount of achievements as Maroma.
Is that a dig at my crappy achievement getting skills? Daaaaaamn!

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 11:48 AM

I found an internet cafe too, laughed out loud at the name of the place . And on the way out the staff shouted at me "There's a tip jar, jackass!"

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 11:50 AM

The TW@ Internet Cafe was in III as well. It had a glass front, and driving up the stairs to the balcony was one of the unique stunt jumps. I know because I used to plow thought that place all of the time for no reason. It was one of the better areas of the game. There was a great building to snip from nearby.

Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 12:00 PM

I noticed this too. I found myself trying to stay indoors during that time of day.

- Good dialogue, decent voice acting, but does it seem like foreigners (particularly Niko) talk slower and try to enunciate more (my guess is as an attempt to be understandable sans subtitles)?
I'm really enjoying the voice acting. I think its probably the best I've seen in any game I've played. I agree about the foreigners talking slow, except for Little Jon. That guy is impossible to understand without subtitles on, but even then he's hard to follow. I got to one mission with him where I went to his place and his roommate talked worse than he did. Little Jon had to translate for me.

- Liking the new target and cover system.
Agreed. I haven't used the cover system too much yet, but I like it.

- The mini-games I played so far have all been pretty well designed, if a bit simple and easy. We should have a bowling outing *snicker*
YES! Bowling night out for sure! And I like Seks suggestion of hitting up the strip club afterwards. Haha!

- Locating new shops and restaurants is a little bit of a pain, given how many places look like they might have an interior.
Agreed. I'm going to need a map in order to find all the places I think.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm really enjoying the voice acting. I think its probably the best I've seen in any game I've played. I agree about the foreigners talking slow, except for Little Jon. That guy is impossible to understand without subtitles on, but even then he's hard to follow. I got to one mission with him where I went to his place and his roommate talked worse than he did. Little Jon had to translate for me.
Yeah, I find it hilarious that the subtitles are almost as garbled a Lil Jon himself. I think my issue with speech speed stems from it seeming unnatural if it were just a movie, and the fact that I want to play, like now.

Agreed. I'm going to need a map in order to find all the places I think.
There's a link on the previous page that will help you.

YES! Bowling night out for sure! And I like Seks suggestion of hitting up the strip club afterwards. Haha!
Agreed.

---

Minor Announcement

I'll be holding an informal meet-up tonight at 11.15 pm EST / 8.15 pm PST. We'll just be screwing around in Free Roam, and I may leave cops on, just because I need the practice (or the entertainment of watching one of you get busted). I only plan on being on till 12.30 am EST, so it will be fairly brief. Remember to create your avatar in the cellphone menu. Come join us, even if you don't plan on Bowling.

You know what would make my night? If I can photograph someone on my cell having a hooker go down on them. Good times.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 12:44 PM

Bah...

I need to move. Because even if I had a PS3/360 and GTA IV, my internet still prevents me from going bowling with you guys! And killing you guys. Oh, and then going to the strip club

Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 12:45 PM

I'm down (most likely). If I'm on that the time, hit me up with an invite!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 12:45 PM

i am down for the meet up, see all you jerks on later, until then... well more GTA

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 12:56 PM

Sorry, I'll be seeing Iron Man tonight and won't be able to make it. But next time, definitely.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 01:50 PM

sek and/or Kevin, you guys gonna be on 'round 6? I was screwing around with the online capabilities at lunch and found them to be less than obvious. I could use a test run with you losers.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Sorry, I'll be seeing Iron Man tonight and won't be able to make it. But next time, definitely.
Big Iron Man fan? I was supposed to go tomorrow, but a friend is having a going away party instead.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 01:56 PM

I'll be on tonight. Bowling and strip clubs... sounds fun. First lap dance is on me.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thompson
Grand Theft Auto IV is the gravest assault upon children in this country since polio.
lulz

BTW, I'm going to be such an easy kill. The aiming mode is not conducive to my GoldenEye... predilection.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 01:58 PM

Dakar, what's your gamertag? I might hit you up tonight.

My tag is Tacopacolypse

Add me (unless we are already friends and I just don't remember who you are, which is very possible)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 02:00 PM

You and Peter have been added. Thank god for XBOX Live web access.

---

We need to end the night with all of us getting tanked and then racing somewhere.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 02:02 PM

I'll be on. Dakar, if you need some insight on the multiplayer, I can help you out - it's all I've really played.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 02:06 PM

Yeah, I also suck at this game. I have yet to touch multiplayer at all.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 02:09 PM

You misspelled your gamertag, didn't you, ass.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'll be on until around 8 or so, then the g/f is coming over.

Tomorrow I'm bringing the 360 to my buddies house for beers, grilled food, blunts, and 12 hours of GTA. Look for Fatty all day.

Tonight I'm going to bed rather early so I'll ahve to be counted out on the festivities. I must say that the amount of people willing to meet-up in this game overshadows any Halo 3 meet we've had thus far...this game should yield some awesome NN multiplayer.

Dakar, if you take a photo in-game is there any way of downloading it ala Bungie.net and posting said photo here?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 02:18 PM

I haven't tried taking a pic, but I noticed the option was absent in the 5 minutes of multi I tried.

Going to bed early? Way to take care of that mangina.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 02:23 PM

Big Iron Man fan? I was supposed to go tomorrow, but a friend is having a going away party instead.
Not especially, but I did read the comics as a kid. Friends are going tonight and I think the movie looks better than the majority of comic book movies out there.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 02:45 PM

dakar, i'll be on until the pens game starts (7pm) then back on after so if you want to mess around with multi, just hit me up

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
So after playing some more i realized my style has changed from last gen GTA's, i use to be a "story gunner"
Wow, this sounds like BS. You're already into the third chapter. I don't think anyone else has even started the second one (not counting SWG). How many game hours do you have in already?

dakar, i'll be on until the pens game starts (7pm) then back on after so if you want to mess around with multi, just hit me up
I'll probably invite you around 6 then. I just need to figure out how to control setting up game modes while keeping it closed.

And maybe we'll Eiffel Tower a hooker.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 02:59 PM

actually your right, today i went all missions no extras and got a lot farther, although i've spend over an hour bowling trying to get f***** three strikes in a row...
but to answer your question as of right now i have 11hrs in...

BTW we will be throwing the Eiffel tower tonight for sure

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 03:03 PM

hopefully this isn't a spoiler but i just completed the street race mission and you get to drive the comet (porsche 911 by the looks) and its a new favorite of mine for sure, i thought the banshee would also hold a place in my heart but this handles much better.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 03:10 PM

actually your right, today i went all missions no extras and got a lot farther, although i've spend over an hour bowling trying to get f***** three strikes in a row...
but to answer your question as of right now i have 11hrs in...
That could be worse. I figured you were past 15 pushing into 20. I haven't decided whether to try for the 30 hours achievement yet on this run.

hopefully this isn't a spoiler but i just completed the street race mission and you get to drive the comet (porsche 911 by the looks) and its a new favorite of mine for sure, i thought the banshee would also hold a place in my heart but this handles much better.
The 5 min of multi I did at lunch, that was the nearest car. Definitely at the top of the list for handling.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 03:11 PM

You misspelled your gamertag, didn't you, ass.

Who me? I don't think so...

Tacopocalypse

Oh crap, yeah I did, sorry. The above should be right.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 03:43 PM

( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 1, 2008 at 04:05 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2008, 04:57 PM

i've spend over an hour bowling trying to get f***** three strikes in a row...
I've gotten 2 strikes in a row about.....15 times now.

Gah!

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 04:58 PM

Hahahaha, my first 5 (free frames), I managed to get a strike on the fourth and fifth frames before choking with a beautiful split to finish the fifth frame.

Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 05:05 PM

So has anyone figured out the use of the Rockstar Social Club site yet? Is it supposed to be like Bungie.net and give you all your stats? I'm not seeing that, if that is the case.

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 05:32 PM

after many a frame i finally got my turkey and on the way home did a 500ft wheelie on a motorcycle to boot, i spend the next half hour getting a 4 star and trying to lose it for the other achievement and finally got it (not easy as originally thought)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 05:42 PM

I've found losing stars to be fairly easy, though I haven't managed to get more than 4 yet...

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2008, 08:16 PM

strike, STRIKE, SPLIT!
strike, STRIKE, SPLIT!
strike, STRIKE, SPLIT!

Grrrr!

Finally unlocked the second island, w00t.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 08:25 PM

What % done are you? I'd like an idea of how far I have to go before I get some extra island goodness.
I was at about 15% when the second island opened. I am at 35% now and the 3rd is still not unlocked.

I flew to the statue of liberty also and when I left I automatically had a tourist t-shirt . I shot a pigeon there that was glowing red and it said "Street rat 1 off 200" so I guess we have to find all the pigeons too.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 08:44 PM

The pigeons are the new packages.

...and damn you, sek. Guess I'm playing catch-up now.

I played a few ranked games. So far I like Team Carjack City the best.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 08:49 PM

My gamertag's "ChronicBings"

I'll be on around 11-whenever tonight if whoever's hosting wants to invite me
( Last edited by Nodnarb; May 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM. )

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 10:39 PM

gamertag "already more" looking for some multiplayer action

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 01:07 AM

That last round felt like the end of the movie Heat.

Oh, and I really wish they logged the games like bungie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules