Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Return my 14 day old G5? Fast advice needed.

Return my 14 day old G5? Fast advice needed.
jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 03:57 PM

I have a 14 day old pm g5 dual 2.0. With the news of an "intel mac by this time next year", should I return it to apple? I could use the money to buy an intel mac next year. Today is my last day to decide and I have to call them by tonight to get an rma secured if I want my money back. What would you do if you were me? I am very happy with my system. I just know that I will _HAVE_ to have a new powermac when it comes out. The value of g5 powermacs will be devalued by then. Any advice is appreciated.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 04:00 PM

You have no idea WHICH Macs will be updated next year. They could update the notebook line first, then go from there. The g5 chip has a lot of life in it, IMO.

I'd keep it, but that's just me.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 04:03 PM

Not to mention what will you do for the year you spend waiting?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
Not to mention what will you do for the year you spend waiting?
Working on my 1 month old 15 inch powerbook! Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great move for apple, I just want to keep ahead of the curve if I can.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2005, 04:11 PM

You want to return your new PowerPC Mac because Apple will be switching the Power Mac line to Intel in two years? Don't you think you're being a little... stupid?

FYI: I maintain that the Power Mac line will be the last to switch because Intel does not have anything on their roadmap in the immediate future that is 64bit or SMP capable. And no, Apple will not use XEONs in a product line that is priced between $1,500 and $3,000.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 04:14 PM

it depends on why you got the G5 in the first place. did you get it for it to do something our other machine can't or is to slow to do? if so Keep the G5

if you got the G5 for other reasons, and everything works 'fine' on your other machine, then reconsider.

the point being: do you realy realy like the difference to the G5? then keep it. it will be supported for at least 5 years then you get whats current then.

I had planned this fall/ early '06 to go from myt dual g4 to a almost top of the line G5 as I work with recorded video and the g4 is a little slow ( ok, i shcedule aroundit) but more importanly I can;t do two video programs at the same time.

but I might get a PPC in 9 m and then keep it for 5y as I bet new software will be run on both.

they woundn't make 10.5 only for the MacTel. that would be too painfull ofr millions of people

my 4 cents rotut
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 04:30 PM

I go the system for a light weight video editing box for home video. I'm not sure if my pb is up to that challenge. I have never been through one of Apple's transitions and my worries are based on unknowns.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jimbosyn
I have a 14 day old pm g5 dual 2.0. With the news of an "intel mac by this time next year", should I return it to apple? I could use the money to buy an intel mac next year. Today is my last day to decide and I have to call them by tonight to get an rma secured if I want my money back. What would you do if you were me? I am very happy with my system. I just know that I will _HAVE_ to have a new powermac when it comes out. The value of g5 powermacs will be devalued by then. Any advice is appreciated.

Keep it. Intel-based Power Macs won't be available for another 2 years.

cameronx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 04:40 PM

The whole idea of Universal Binary is that both platforms will be supported, and I would anticipate they would be supported for the next 5+ years. As for Mac OS X Leopard, I have no doubt it will support both PowerPC and Intel processors... if it only supported Intel processors, Apple wouldn't make any money off of the upgrade.

In regards to the PowerMac G5, if it were me, I would keep it. If you go back to that c|net story from last Friday, I think it says the timeline for the switch will put the intel processor in the mac mini/consumer line first, and then replace the PowerMac line last. We just bought a iMac G5 last week, and love it, so there's no reason to return it just because in two years (during which we'll be using it to death) a new platform will be supported as well.

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 04:43 PM

for video editing: keep it

thats an incremental increase in use.

you might even be able to do two dirffernent video things at once. I can't on the dual G4, so for me its a difficult decision to stay as is or G5PPC this fall.

rotut
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 04:50 PM

When, in another forum, I griped about Apple's annoying habit of creating new OS versions and updating this or that all the time and usually requiring more $$ and making my previous investment in their technology slowly erode to the point where I HAVE to upgrade or else find myself passed by, the responses mostly were of this variety:

'Suck it up.' 'That's the nature of electronics, especially computers.' 'You don't HAVE to upgrade.' 'Too bad.'

Well, NOW we're ALL in that boat to one degree or another and though I'm empathetic for those who feel panicked, I also feel vindicated.

In the mean time I will just act as though nothing has changed, because in a strange kind of way, it really hasn't.
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 04:57 PM

Apple is just anounting a new machine in 2 years.

if I updated to a G5 dual 2gz a few months ago Id still be happy. it would work a lot better and faster than my dual G4 for movies for a long time.

but what about updating in 6 - 9 months?

rotuts
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 04:58 PM

I think you should get rid of it. Immediately.

Please pm for my home address. I'll dispose of it properly.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
I think you should get rid of it. Immediately.

Please pm for my home address. I'll dispose of it properly.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 05:54 PM

Brand new 15" PB 1 month ago, and now a 2-week old $3000 Dual G5? Sounds like you have the budget to just keep the current one AND buy a new one when it comes out

Ruahrc

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 06:38 PM

For goodness' sake, keep the G5!
It certainly isn't obsolete and won't be for quite some time. It is ridiculously easy to maintain universal binaries and all smart developers will continue to do so for quite some time. Also, don't expect to see Intel PowerMacs for at least 2 years.

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ruahrc
Brand new 15" PB 1 month ago, and now a 2-week old $3000 Dual G5? Sounds like you have the budget to just keep the current one AND buy a new one when it comes out
Really that is kinda my point. I don't like shelling out that kind of cash every 2 years. I would rather go for an every 3-5 year upgrade.

Originally Posted by anamexis
For goodness' sake, keep the G5!
It certainly isn't obsolete and won't be for quite some time. It is ridiculously easy to maintain universal binaries and all smart developers will continue to do so for quite some time. Also, don't expect to see Intel PowerMacs for at least 2 years.

I'm going to keep it. I don't think I could ever go back to ulead video studio pro for editing.... It was so frustrating that I was pulling my hair out! FC express and iDVD are an awesome combo for home movies and light weight editing. Although my powerbook *might* be able to handle this, I'm not sure if all of the RT features would be available. Even if they were, it would be slower. This is how I look at it. In about 3 years, I'll get a new PM and PB. Give my old PB to my 6 year old (then 9 year old) and turn the PM G5 into a linux file server/print server/web server... you get the picture

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 10:11 PM

I'll buy the Powerbook from you.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 10:44 PM

Why would you sell it? Both Intel and PowerPC will be both supported for years to come. Steve talked about it at the keynote. Applications will be built to run on both.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 10:44 PM

I wouldn't...in fact, I want to go buy one of everything from Apple.com before they make this switch!

One of the things that convinced me to switch to Mac was an exhaustive technical analysis of the G4 chip vs. the Pentium architecture. The unavoidable conclusion from the comparison was that the Pentium was a mess and that the PowerPC was elegance itself by comparison.

Now this...I don't know. I think Jobs is making a mistake.

barang
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 11:26 PM

Keep it...the future is so vague right now, I'm going to continue as usual. Apple always takes longer than they say; why should this be any different. It could be years before the "transition is complete."
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 11:35 PM

I just bought the new 2.3Ghz PowerMac with all the fixings. First thing on my mind is getting rid of it come June 2006 so I can get my hands on one of those Intel Macs. Two reasons this is not a smart move, (1) My PowerMac is lightening fast, it's really the first computer I have been able to use Virtual PC and it really feels like a physical PC. (2) It's best NOT to be the guinea pig on a first revision as most of us hear have experienced first revisions can be the worst and especially with something so major as a processor architecture change, there will always be problems that Apple will need to iron out.
Keep your PowerMac as I have decided to do and enjoy it and wait until sometime in 2007 after Apple gets it "RIGHT".
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 11:37 PM

You say you upgrade every 3-5 years? Perfect. You should keep it because:

1. Intel Powermacs are 2-2.5 years away, and you'll want to wait until the second revision of the Intel Powermacs to make sure the bugs are ironed out.

2. G5s are much cheaper than cutting-edge Xeons, so Apple might stick with them for longer than we expect.

3. The whole Intel experiment could be a flop if the Intel-based iBooks and Powerbooks don't work as advertised.

To summarize, your new G5 will be an excellent, current machine for the next 3-4 years, and there's no good reason to get an Intel-based Powermac until then.

zoetrope
Jun 6, 2005, 11:54 PM

I've been an Apple user for a very long time, and this will be the third transition that I've weathered through and I've had zero, zilch, nada, completely no problems and issues in running the latest and greatest that either Apple or its third party developers have had to offer.

One little trick I've found that works for me is to wait and buy the third (3rd) hardware revision of any Apple product, even the entertainment devices (exception being the iPod and Mac mini, becuase of low upfront costs). All of the bugs are worked out, and the intervals between hardware revisions are longer after that "3rd time's the charm" approach.

1. For laptops, I expect to upgrade those every 3-4 years depending.
2. For desktops, I expect to upgrade every 4-5 years depending.

I just purchased the Dual 2.7Ghz Power Mac a little over a month ago. I will say that I expect this to be the LAST desktop I ever purchase again. I expect that within five years, desktops will be antiquated to the point that nearly all personal computing will be done on a laptop. Considering what has happened today, I still expect to get at least 4 years of use, and might even eek out 5, of my Power Mac.

However, I expect Apple will start suffering from the "Osbourne effect" soon. Regardless, they will have to support PPCs for at least the next five years looking at their roadmaps. I expect Adobe and Microsoft to do the same and that's all I care about.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2005, 03:18 AM

You will never be ahead of the curve. There is always something new around the corner.

Only you can judge if it is worth the money to you. I hope you bought the G5 to do real work on and not a toy. If it is the latter, return it.

I hope you did not buy it to have a bigger e-penis.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2005, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
You want to return your new PowerPC Mac because Apple will be switching the Power Mac line to Intel in two years? Don't you think you're being a little... stupid?

FYI: I maintain that the Power Mac line will be the last to switch because Intel does not have anything on their roadmap in the immediate future that is 64bit or SMP capable. And no, Apple will not use XEONs in a product line that is priced between $1,500 and $3,000.
Hah...this is easy for you to say considering you just spent hard-earned money on a new iMac So this opinion can't be seen an unbiased.

If you already have a brand new PowerBook, I would personally return it. I honestly mean that because I'm actually "holding out" on a new Mac until the Intel-based Mac drops even though I'd planned on a new one around Christmas '05.

The worst part about keeping it is the value will (or already has started) decline rapidly compared to how slow Macs generally devalue.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by AssassyN
Hah...this is easy for you to say considering you just spent hard-earned money on a new iMac So this opinion can't be seen an unbiased.

If you already have a brand new PowerBook, I would personally return it. I honestly mean that because I'm actually "holding out" on a new Mac until the Intel-based Mac drops even though I'd planned on a new one around Christmas '05.

The worst part about keeping it is the value will (or already has started) decline rapidly compared to how slow Macs generally devalue.
Your statement has absolutely no logic whatsoever.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 11:48 AM

I also plan for a new PowerMac at Christmas or Jan comming up

but I don't see a computer as "Value" so it can't loose value. I reun them until one comes out that does something that the current one won't, either capacity or an OS and won't reun satisfactorly on the old one.

therefore I see them as 'Use" now that being said, if I bought a new apple. and a few months later one cam,e out for the similar amount of $$$$$$ that had a lot more 'uses' then Id be upset for not waiting.

those with new computers should be happy. they get to use them.

very few of use get each computer that comes out. we wait mostly for chages in usage. OK sometimes for great *****splash****** but rare for most.

now for me it when o get the next one as use and looiing for good value. I imagine the next few PowerMac will not be revolutionary until the intel. so maybe they will be priced accordingly.

I didn't get the first PPC I watied for the G3 that had a lot more going for it.

a PPC IBM might be wise before the Intel then an intel 3 years after they make them reallllly snappy!

thoughts?

rotuts
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules