Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie can't export clips to DV camcorder

iMovie can't export clips to DV camcorder
K-Bat
May 15, 2005, 09:27 PM

I edited some miniDV videos with iMovie 4.0.1, but I encounter this error message "Lost Connection To Camera" every time I attempt to export the edited clips to my camcorder (JVC GR-DVL805). The last time I edited and successfully exported clips to the camcorder was at least 3 or 4 months ago. I can't remember exactly. But I'm guessing I was using a previous version of iMovie at that time. I had never encountered this problem before. So I have three questions.

1. Where can I download a previous version of iMovie? I couldn't find it in the Apple site.
2. Is it a known issue that iMovie 4.0.1 is compatible with fewer camcorders?
3. Should I suspect other sources of the problem? To the best of my knowledge my camcorder is working fine. So is the Firewire port on my PowerBook.

My computer is the 15" 1.5 ghz PowerBook, running 10.3.9

Thanks in advance.

K-Bat

loki74
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 10:53 PM

well i havent enough expertise to answer youre questions, but I do have a theoretical solution. you could use the video-in on your cam to get the playback directly from your 'puter, couldnt you?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

K-Bat  (op)
May 15, 2005, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
well i havent enough expertise to answer youre questions, but I do have a theoretical solution. you could use the video-in on your cam to get the playback directly from your 'puter, couldnt you?
Thanks for your idea, but the camcorder does not record anything from the computer (i.e., iMovie), unfortunately. I managed to summon "DV. IN" sign to the camcorder's screen, so the cam is ready to start recording upon detecting video-in signals but playing clips in iMovie doesn't get the tape running. Also noticed that iMovie crashes when it fails to export clips. Any more thoughts? Thanks.

K-Bat

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 05:56 PM

It's been a while, but I would like to answer this question because as far as I can tell it has not been answered in this forum yet.
The problem is documented by Apple and occurs when Final Cut is installed on a computer. It can be fixed by removing the files listed.

K-Bat  (op)
Jun 18, 2006, 10:07 PM

anamexis, thanks very much for discovering this old thread, and making a suggestion. I haven't solved this problem yet, but found a work-around. iMovie exports properly from a different OSX user account. I'll look for these files.

K-Bat

Forum Links
Forum Rules