Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The Time scoop is no screw up...

The Time scoop is no screw up...
Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 02:43 AM

Why do you think the keynote was moved up? Time probably told Apple, after the interview, that they would run this story this week to scoop other media outlets. Apple probably gave the interview thinking it would run next week after MacWorld. I would assume once Apple was unable to convince Time to change its mind, given that the magazine goes on sale Sunday night/Monday morning, Apple moved the keynote up a day so that Steve Jobs' speech wouldn't be stale news by Tuesday. I'm sure it was more of a threat by Time than a deal with Apple, and I'm sure Apple's known about it since the keynote was rescheduled.

I hate to say it, but, speaking as someone who has to deal with local and national news media for my job on a daily basis, things exactly like this happen ALL the, er, time.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Michael T. Doyle ]
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

<MAP>
Jan 7, 2002, 02:54 AM

Hmmm...

A. Apple knew news of the iMac would be released sometime Sunday evening, about 12 hours before the keynote.

B. Apple for the past week has been generating hype about Monday's announcement on their website in the form of a countdown.

C. Would Apple have set up a countdown on their homepage if the they knew the beans would be spilled a full 12 hours before even their own countdown ran down?

D. If the iMac was the product they were announcing, would they have written 'One more sleepless night' on their website when they knew people could potentially sleep soundly knowing what was to be announced the next morning?

Conclusion: The iMac is secondary to some sort of larger announcement.

Michael T. Doyle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by &lt;MAP&gt;:
<STRONG>Hmmm...(snip)

Conclusion: The iMac is secondary to some sort of larger announcement.</STRONG>
Or, simply, conclusion AOL Time Warner has more clout than Apple.
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

<MAP>
Jan 7, 2002, 03:00 AM

Yeah, you're probably right. I hope you're wrong.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 03:23 AM

Why would Apple offer a story for release the week after the event? That would be dumb. No, I think Apple gave Time the story for this Monday, and clearly the keynote was moved up because of that deal (Time comes out on Mondays).

But the Sunday night release I think was a screwup by Time Canada. Otherwise it would be on Time's U.S. site as well, which it's not.

I do agree with you that there likely will be another big announcement tomorrow as the "one more thing". The Time article under any scenario would have been common knowledge by 9 a.m. Monday. There's something else we don't know about yet.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: CaseCom ]

a holck
Senior User
Jan 7, 2002, 03:29 AM

But it's still weird that the article is dated january 14'th

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by a holck:
<STRONG>But it's still weird that the article is dated january 14'th</STRONG>
That's common practice in the magazine publishing world. It's so it won't seem stale on newsstands.

When the new Newsweek comes out tomorrow it'll also be dated the 14th.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2002, 03:46 AM

For the past week I've been wanting to post somthing in the "record breaking thread" over at Apple Insiders. Unfortunetly I can't seem to get an account there (at least not at the moment. Anyway, with 18 mins and counting before the next Apple Mainpage update. I kinda hoping for a huge jike on us from Steve. As you probably know the TimeCanada site is now being directed to just time.com so either Steve was awkakend (I hate to be the erson with that job!) and he got on the phone with time. OR Steve and time are pulling a fast one on us by putting that up, knowing we'll go crazy, then in (now) 15 mins, the updated Apple Pages Says "Ha Ha, the Time Candian thing was all Me" or something to that extent!

However I do want to add that I think there Apple hype is for something OTHER than the iMac (Or so I can only hope and prey!)
iGeek

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2002, 06:12 AM

Peridoicals, books, music cd's are almost exclusively released in North American on Tuesdays. That point taken, it could be that Apple moved the key note to Monday thinking that Time would hit newsstands the next day without considering that most subscribers receive theirs at home days ahead of that.

Just a thought. I personally thought the reason they moved the keynote up was because Intel was introducing the P4 at 2.2GHz at the same time.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 06:45 AM

It had to be a screw-up, because it's gone now.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2002, 08:32 AM

Segway leaks out and now the iMac leaks out? That's not a coincidence. That's a ploy.

Everyone in the Expo time zone is safely tucked up in bed and will be suitably impressed for the cameras tomorrow.

We will all be glued to the screen no matter what.

But I am willing to bet my left gonad that this was never going to be the "one more thing" anyway.

Everyone knew this was coming.

This was no accident. Just more last minute hype.

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2002, 10:33 AM

It is also obvious that Apple wasn't kidding when they said to "Forget the Rumor Sites". Indeed!
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2002, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by velocitychannel:
<STRONG>Peridoicals, books, music cd's are almost exclusively released in North American on Tuesdays. That point taken, it could be that Apple moved the key note to Monday thinking that Time would hit newsstands the next day without considering that most subscribers receive theirs at home days ahead of that.

Just a thought. I personally thought the reason they moved the keynote up was because Intel was introducing the P4 at 2.2GHz at the same time.</STRONG>
Where do you get that from? It depends on the magazine. Time almost always lands in my mailbox on Monday, Sports Illustrated on Thursday, Entertainment Weekly on Saturday. (I'm a Time Warner junkie.)

A newsstand that takes delivery only on Tuesdays isn't a very good newsstand.

S_Lanaway
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2002, 10:49 AM

I think people are too excited, and are expecting ridiculous things.

The iMac is the big thing that will be announced. That's it. Include iPhoto and a few enhancements to other products.

If there were something 'bigger' in the wings other than this revamped iMac digital hub, then I think it would have deserved a mention in a Jan.14 issue of Time.

BTW, I think the iMac looks pretty cool (w/ great specs).
http://www.titancreative.com
http://www.scottlanaway.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules