Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Price+Performance=Best Ever Laptop By Far

Price+Performance=Best Ever Laptop By Far
Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 12:09 AM

The iceBook that is. Never owned a Ti, but I've had WallStreet, Pismo, and an iBook SE, and the new iceBook blows them all out of the water in terms of display brightness and clarity, weight, and size. Performance seems about comparable to the Pismo and it's far sturdier (you really can pick it up by one end). It does scratch easily, but really all laptops get scratched. The problem is that the scratches show up more on a luminously white computer. The sound problem doesn't affect all iceBooks and I'm sure a firmware update will fix it soon enough. In my opinion, compared to Ti, it's got a better screen, is more sturdy, and is lighter. So unless you need a wide screen or are gonna run professional apps like PhotoShop that require a G4 with a velocity engine, I think a much less expensive iceBook is a better purchase. It's the best laptop I've ever used by far.

[This message has been edited by Michael T. Doyle (edited 05-20-2001).]
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

denny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 03:07 AM

>So unless you need a wide screen or are gonna run professional apps like >PhotoShop that require a G4 with a velocity engine, I think a much less >expensive iceBook is a better purchase.

i've seen several posts like this regarding the new ibook and do not understand it at all. PhotoShop runs fine on an iBook 366. Apps like that do not require a G4. yes, the G4 may be better/faster, but i've done plenty of work on photoshop with absolutely no problems. speed is relative. let me say that again... speed is relative. depending on the complexity of what you are doing and the size of the files, a g3 can easily be used for this kind of work. it cracks me up that people keep acting as if an ibook is only good for web browsing, email, and writing simple text documents. graphics professionals were happy running photoshop on g3s running at 400mhz just over a year ago. has something happened that a g3 500mhz is now suddenly inadequate for serious use?

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2001, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by denny:
i've seen several posts like this regarding the new ibook and do not understand it at all. PhotoShop runs fine on an iBook 366. Apps like that do not require a G4. yes, the G4 may be better/faster, but i've done plenty of work on photoshop with absolutely no problems. speed is relative. let me say that again... speed is relative. depending on the complexity of what you are doing and the size of the files, a g3 can easily be used for this kind of work. it cracks me up that people keep acting as if an ibook is only good for web browsing, email, and writing simple text documents. graphics professionals were happy running photoshop on g3s running at 400mhz just over a year ago. has something happened that a g3 500mhz is now suddenly inadequate for serious use?
I've never understood this either. i WOULDN'T use an 800 x 600 iBook for Photoshop, because of screen size reasons, but a G3 is just fine on Photoshop. I am a graphic designer using a G4, but before my G4, I had a G3 that was fine. I will use it on my iceBook when I travel(thank god for the 1024 x 768 display). Speed is relative. Photoshop is WAY faster on my DP G4 obviously, but, geez, I was running Photoshop 1 on a Mac IIsi 10 years ago. And that was great back then. Perfectly usable on a G3.

Anyway, I agree that the iceBook is great.

Skaught24
May 20, 2001, 11:39 AM

I second that. I work for a small town news paper. We adjust MANY photo's everyweek for publication. Photoshop runs very well on our Blue and white G3 AND runs pretty well on our old PowerMac 8600. (50mhz bus?)

Anyway, I am positive that the new ice book will run it even better than the blue and white G3!

------------------
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001
"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

Michael T. Doyle  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 12:47 PM

I just meant any Photoshop users who just can't live without the AltiVec engine :-) If you can, the screen, for an LCD, is awesome for graphics work.

Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 01:18 PM

I am running PhotoShop right now in between being on line. I am satisfied with the speed. And it gives me the opportunity to work on my photos in the fresh air, not just sitting in my den with the 733.

Karen

paterss
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 02:00 PM

I am becoming more and more certain that the iBook is for me.

its really important to me to hear from people actually using it
for things like Photoshop, web work and so on.

I would have prefered to have gotten something with a G4 in it just because its newer - will last longer.

But lets face it - we won't be running the latest version of Windows there - so we wont require a tenfold increase in performance just to creak along. ;-)

------------------
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Michael T. Doyle  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by paterss:
its really important to me to hear from people actually using it
for things like Photoshop, web work and so on.
Well I do use my iceBook to do web work (I write a website on the site) and I love the fact that there's more screen real estate on it than on my former 800 x 600 iBook SE. I always found the lower resolution a hindrance.

Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

Forum Links
Forum Rules