Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > accessing flash 9 flv or swf files

accessing flash 9 flv or swf files
ursinus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 12:10 AM

Hi all,
I used to be able to grab flash 8's files from Safari's cache or Firefox's cache. However, it seems, after upgrading to Flash 9, the .swf and the .flv files are not accessable anymore. How this is usually done is by looking at Safari's cache file for example, called "tmp", and see what's the biggest file that was downloaded at a certain point in time, and rename the file name to a meaningful name with a .flv or .swf. The file is then taken out of that tmp folder. But after Flash 9, the downloaded files don't seem to appear on the tmp folder. Any clues? I know that we can download these files by going to the activity menu and see the link to the biggest file and copy and paste that url. But often this is double downloading. It would be handy to grab them from the cache file instead.

Thanks.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2007, 10:20 AM

I'm not sure about taking files from the cache, but if you are viewing vids on a site like YouTube or another big site you can go to keepvid.com, enter the URL for the video, click the button, and then it will translate the URL so you can download the video to your hard drive. You might have to rename the file later. I'm assuming that you already have a .flv player.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 10:33 AM

In Safari do Window->Activity, find the flv file (usually the biggest one, or you recognize it because it's still loading) and option double-click it to download.

ursinus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 12:53 PM

Hiho Tetenal and Rehoot, thanks for the solutions suggested, appreciate it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules