Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > file server failed connection message-what does this mean?

file server failed connection message-what does this mean?
ursinus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2007, 01:49 AM

Hi all, for the last few days I've been getting this message on my mac, everytime I re-boot at the initial stage after desktop is booted up, or when I am trying to save any files or access files on my mac,

"Connection failed - This file server is running on your machine. Please access volumes and files locally"

When I go into the console, and access the log when ever this message appears, it says this,

2007-11-20 00:34:06.351 afp_mount[393] CFLog (99): CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port (com.apple.afp_mount.ServiceProvider)

I am just saving files to my local hard drive and not accessing another hard drive across a network or to an external hard drive. I do work occasionally with my powerbook accessing it through my network, and external drive as well. But when these messages pop up, its not like i was trying to save my files to these drives and they are not connecting.

I am on OS 10.4.7, dual g5 2.3ghz, 2.5gb ram, 2 internal drive setup. I have a test account on the same machine, when I log into that account, the same message didn't appear, so it only happens on my current account.

Any clues on how to get rid of this annoying message is much appreciated!
Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules