Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook dual processor

powerbook dual processor
notizienews
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 03:49 AM

Does anybody know if a powerbook dual processor will come out? I am in the process of buying a new powerbook, but I am not sure if something big is about to come out.

ciao

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 19, 2002, 03:51 AM

I know. But I won't say.

Bling bling, motherbitches!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2002, 04:18 AM

Implementing a dual-processor architecture into a PowerBook would be tricky for cooling and power issues. Two processors would drain battery life like crazy, and in the past, no personal computer has ever supported hot-swappable processors. This means the machine would require a restart of some sort to enable or disable the PowerBook's second processor.

In other words, it isn't viable. Don't expect a dual-processor PowerBook soon. However, a DDR-enabled PowerBook toting 64 megabytes of graphics memory and a 1-gigahertz G4 is on the horizon.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 04:52 AM

Nahh, they'll just go retro and put in 2 500mhz processors and advertise it as a ghz PowerBook.
F = ma

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2002, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
Nahh, they'll just go retro and put in 2 500mhz processors and advertise it as a ghz PowerBook.
I think Apple has its G4 under control now. However, I wouldn't have been surprised if Apple did that a revision or two ago.

Souljah
Aug 21, 2002, 02:12 PM

dualies in a Powerbook..nah...they get so hot already with the single... unless of course they figure out a way to use a peltier in there!
G5 DP 1.8 Rev.B 3g Ram
20" Apple Cinema.
Tigger 10.4.1

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2002, 02:50 PM

Peltiers take heat from the "cold" side of the device (on top of a cold plate "heatsink") and dissipate it on the "hot" side while generating more heat in the process. A confined space like a laptop isn't exactly a great place to use a peltier, especially considering how uncomfortably hot the case would get near the "hot" side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules