Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > cross platform autorun pdf presentation cd?

cross platform autorun pdf presentation cd?
nemo
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 04:38 AM

on run
tell application
"Finder"
try
open application file id "CARO"
open file "My Document.pdf" of disk "My CD-ROM"
on error
set theanswer to button returned of (display dialog "You do not have Acrobat Reader installed. Click OK to start installing Acrobat Reader." buttons {"OK","Cancel"} )
if theanswer = "OK" then
open file "Acrobat Installer" of disk "My CD-ROM")
end if
end try
end tell
end run

Found the above here (with someone's help); http://maccentral.macworld.com/story...tartup/?read=7 and wondered if this could be modified to run on both Mac & PC platforms. Basically I want to make a very simple PDF doc using Acrobat which will autorun (if autoruns turned on) when inserted. Presumably I'd need to save it as a .exe text file for PC, how would a Mac read it, and how can I make them invisible to the user? Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks in advance

Cipher13
May 17, 2001, 06:03 AM

You can specify a file to AutoRun with Toast Deluxe... no need for a script.
And for win, use an autoexec.bat file...

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 17, 2001, 07:32 AM

Cheers for that,
but what's a autoexec.bat file, and what about installing acrobat reader if it's not on their machine? This is my first attempt to do something like this so pls excuse my ignorance.

Cipher13
May 17, 2001, 10:42 AM

No problemo

An autoexec.bat file is "auto execute batch" file. Windows jargon. Its basically a list of commands executed upon the execution of the .bat file.

The problem is I'm not too sure how to create a Windows autoexec.bat file for a CD Autostart feature. It might be as simple as including a correctly scripted text file named autoexec.bat, but I don't know. I will check.

As for the Acrobat thing, I'd say you're best off, rather than running a check for whether its installed, let the user find out... not ideal, but nonetheless, not too bad. If the document won't open for them, they simply run the installer. Easy

I'm no Windows guru, so if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me...

HTH

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Bennylen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2001, 10:49 AM

Actually, it's a "autorun.inf" file that you need. Check here to see the details. http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-21

One other point, if you make the autorun.inf text file on a mac make sure you save it as a DOS text file and not a mac text file. The CR/LF differences make the autorun file inexcutable on the windoze side.

Toast 5 does a good job of making custom hybrid CD's that can autorun on each platform.

oar
May 24, 2001, 03:27 PM

If for some reason you can't save as, this might help:
http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/te...de=34174&b=mac

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2001, 03:56 PM

Thx very much for the replies, I would like this thing to be as smooth as possible for the user because of the nature of the content. Basically it will be a presentation of some digital artwork, I'd considered using flash but I didn't want the technology of the browser/app to get in the way of the work. Nevertheless maybe a 'low key' self running flash file would be a better option, that way I don't have to worry about whether they have something installed.

I'll certainly have a look at that link though.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules