Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > just bought new 60gb ibm deskstar...

just bought new 60gb ibm deskstar...
nemo
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2001, 08:23 AM

..and I'm going to replace the 10gb disk in my g4 with it.
I've also bought an ide cable to transfer all the files from the 10gb to the 60gb then I'm going to remove the 10 and have the 60 in it's place.
Is this the best way to do this?

when copying shall I just drag and drop the whole volume or do I need to use some kind of utility? Are there any pages on the web which might give some extra info on all this should I come unstuck?

Thanks in advance.

Cipher13
Oct 11, 2001, 10:08 AM

You do know that yop them both in there, right?

The 10 gig is 7200 rpm. I suggest you keep the 10 gig as master, with your system on it - and the 60 as a slave with "other stuff", apps et al.

Or, put the 60 master, and the 10 slave, but either way, ep them both in there, less you already have 2 there...

You can just drag the volume icon to the other volume icon. That will copy invsible files too. Then, drag the items from the new folder to the root of the drive (selecting all dragging to copy won't take invisible items with you).

Paul S
Senior User
Oct 11, 2001, 10:11 AM

There may be info on how to do that at www.xlr8yourmac.com I have just dragged everything over when booted from a CD. System and all. Then booted from the new drive and had no problems.

However, the G4 supports 2 IDE hard drives. Why not just install the second one and leave the 10GB too?

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2001, 12:32 PM

..after speaking to a couple of apple techies they both suggested it would be faster to have just one drive on the system bus, initially I was only going to go for a 40gb and I'm not sure, but I wonder if my 10gb factory one is only 5400rpm?

Are they wrong about the speed thing or am I missing something?

Thanks for the replies.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2001, 01:49 PM

Go to Apple System Profiler > Devices and Volumes. Expand the Hard Drive field. You can get a manufacturer and model number there for your drive to cross reference at their web site to find the rotation speed.
Ideally you would keep them both in the G4.
Check out Apple's install instructional movies here. Just select you model and desired part to install.

Cliff

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: aaanorton ]

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2001, 02:46 PM

hmmm cheers Cliff,
http://www.westerndigital.com/produc...s/wd102aa.html here's the details of my current HD, 5400rpm, 9.5ms seek.

also at apple's site.. I found the following article titled..
'Power Macintosh G4 (PCI Graphics): 10.2GB Hard Drive Issue'
referring to..
"Western Digital Corporation announced that they are implementing a limited recall of certain Caviar hard drives to address possible long-term reliability issues. This article explains the issue, how to determine if your Power Macintosh G4 (PCI Graphics) is affected, and what steps to take if it is."
..and it turned out the drive I have is one of them!

But apart from that how does this bus thing work? if you have an extra (slave) HD how will the speed/operation differ from the master?

thanks

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2001, 05:11 PM

I thought a IDE cable is included with the 60GB Deskstar (which I am pretty sure is a 60GXP)... maybe I am wrong.

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2001, 06:39 PM

the reseller I bought it from also sold me a �5 ide cable so I assume there isn't one included. I think it's the IBM DESKSTAR 60GXP 61.4GB ULTRA ATA/100 INT 7200RPM HD.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2001, 06:58 PM

I bought the 40G deskstar months ago - slaved it to the original 10G and have had no speed reductions or any other problems. Also didn't need any other cabling. Very happy with it. My $0.02AUD worth
this sig intentionally left blank

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2001, 07:12 PM

Sorry to say. Simonjames is right, you didn't need to purchase another cable. Oh well. Otherwise I'd also use the 10 gig as my master and the 40 as my slave doublestacked. About copying your drive. If its over 2 gigs you'll have to make a disk image(i think). Try toast.
Later
Chuck

<bozo the clown>
Oct 11, 2001, 07:58 PM

Ignore the jokers here who are telling you to keep you 10Gig drive as your boot drive. Reinstall the OS on the new drive (which will be significantly faster, BTW) and use that as your primary drive. Your whole system will be dramatically sped up. It's a mistake to underestimate the importance of the HD in overall system speed.

If you need the 10GB of space, I'd used it for file storage. Otherwise, I'd eBay it as an "Apple Original" hard drive to some sucker who'll give you twice what it's worth.

Cipher13
Oct 11, 2001, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by &lt;bozo the clown&gt;:
<STRONG>Ignore the jokers here who are telling you to keep you 10Gig drive as your boot drive. Reinstall the OS on the new drive (which will be significantly faster, BTW) and use that as your primary drive. Your whole system will be dramatically sped up. It's a mistake to underestimate the importance of the HD in overall system speed.

If you need the 10GB of space, I'd used it for file storage. Otherwise, I'd eBay it as an "Apple Original" hard drive to some sucker who'll give you twice what it's worth.</STRONG>
Yeah, I agree... I assumed the 10 gig drive was in a Sawtooth, not a Yikes! - d'oh! Silly me.

I'd still use it as the slave though.

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2001, 01:30 AM

Agreed
Unless you want to use the 40 gig as a media drive. You need the speed for DV.
Later
Chuck

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2001, 04:34 AM

Our equivalent (in the UK) of e-bay is 'Loot' so the 10gig might end up on there. After having being used to that amount of space I don't know what I'm going to do with 60g's. Thanks for all the replies though.

You reckon I need to make a disk image first though, so I'd have to make the disk image on the 60g (there's about 300mb left on the 10g) - then copy it from there or what?

cheers

Cipher13
Oct 12, 2001, 05:50 AM

I reckon just drag the volume.

Disk Copy in OS9 won't make a volume larger than 2 gigs anyway, I don't think... haven't tried "make image from disk" that large though. Give it a shot I suppose, then use Apple Software Restore to copy all data back.

If the 2 gig limit is present, then Disk Copy X can bypass that as a last resort...

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2001, 02:49 PM

OK Here's the deal. Are you planing on doing video work? If so don't listen to the joker who told you to use the 60 gig as your main drive. Use the 10gig even if its a 5400rpm. You don't need more than 10 gigs for your system. And a 5400rpm IDE is plenty fast. However a 5400 rpm drive will not handle DV well. You'll be in drop frame hell. And your media should never be kept on the same drive as your os.
Remember this 5min of DV NTSC = 1GIG HD space.

Or see if you can get a cheep firewire enclosure for the 10 gig

I've tried draging whole volumes around 9 gigs for one drive to another. I've never been successfull. Usually I get an error or a freeze.
Later
Chuck

<bozo the clown>
Oct 12, 2001, 03:14 PM

There is a very noticible performance boost from upgrading your hard drive. It can be as big a difference a processor upgrade in terms of perceived speed. Booting, launching applications, and pretty much everything involving disk access will improve.

If you're doing video work, (which BTW hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread), I'll agree you're facing a difference situation.

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2001, 05:24 PM

no video at present, mainly photoshop. I have a copy of retrospect somewhere which I got with my cdrw. I imagine it would be fairly straightforward using that to transfer stuff across, although I've never looked at it.

But even if I did want to do video surely a partition could keep the OS seperate?

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: nemo ]

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2001, 05:54 PM

Good thought but not true,
You need the files on a separate hardware unit(drive) for video.
If your not going to do any DV then don't worry about it. Seeing as though you have a G4 you may find yourself doing it soon. I owned my G4 for 6mos before learning about DV. now I'm hooked! Hey buddy I'm just trying to open the doors to a whole new and cool world of DV. So do what you will - I will no longer bug you with my knowledge.[/LIST]
[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Chuck_star ]
Later
Chuck

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2001, 06:18 PM

your thoughts are very welcome - that's something I hadn't even thought of.

Thanks

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 07:34 PM

Sorted!

60gb as master - 10 as slave - I've decided to use it as a backup and it's all working very nicely so far.

here's a few pointers to anyone attempting this for the first time:
*. find something to put the rear carrier screws in when you remove them, if you drop one they bounce and disappear.
*. the power cable which is connected to the drive itself is a bit of a bastad to remove - you need to wiggle it a lot.
*. jumper settings - find the model number of your HD from apple system profiler - put it in the search field of the manufacturers web site.

Thanks for all the feedback

Forum Links
Forum Rules