Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Yawn

Yawn
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 03:02 PM

Oh... I mean "Official Apple Live Event Thread".

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 03:13 PM

Agreed. I found myself dozing off.

They are obviously, slowly abandoning the Mac IMHO

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 03:18 PM

It's abundantly clear they don't give a single **** about the Mac anymore.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2016, 03:21 PM

I was surprised not to see a thread already. New small iphones? Smaller big ipads? foncused.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 21, 2016, 03:24 PM

I'm due for an upgrade on my 6 in September. I'm 100% in favor of an SE. The 6s guts minus 3D touch in the 5 form factor is perfect. Unless the 7 comes out by then and it's somehow mind blowing, I know what I'm getting.

P
Mar 21, 2016, 03:33 PM

iPhone SE: all that was expected, but it is good news that they aren't abandoning the 4" size.

iPad Pro 10": I think that it is the first very good straight upgrade for someone who has say an iPad 2. This is measurably better in every way and has some very real new features.

Watch: cheaper is better, I guess.

AppleTV: seems to fix all the biggest complaints. Good to see that they're listening, that is something the Jobs Apple was very bad at.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2016, 03:36 PM

I was just about to be convinced to get a 6, but yeah, the SE price point is a big factor.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 03:37 PM

I was irritated by them abandoning the 5 form factor, but now that I'm used to the 6, I don't think I'd want to go back.

I have small hands, too.

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2016, 03:39 PM

declines obvious easy joke.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 03:45 PM

I got a 6S for Christmas, which i haven't been using because i think it's too big. Now I want a SE.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 21, 2016, 04:04 PM

Other than the iMac, every Mac model is overdue for upgrades. So we got ... zero Macs upgraded. I agree with the yawn part.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 04:08 PM

So the iPad Mini 4 and the iPad Air 2 now feature 100% identical pricing.

Isn't that a little weird?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 21, 2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I was irritated by them abandoning the 5 form factor, but now that I'm used to the 6, I don't think I'd want to go back.

I have small hands, too.
I have big hands and I'm tired of stretching to the top right corner of the screen. Unless the 7 comes out with a significantly better camera, I have no reason to keep this larger form factor.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 05:02 PM

The 5 just feels cramped now.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
declines obvious easy joke.
Sure you do.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 05:08 PM

No more hideous iPhone5C.

Camera bulge on iPad now? *sigh*

P
Mar 21, 2016, 05:18 PM

iPad Air 2 and mini 4 having the same price is weird, but what is even weirder is that some international prices don't match.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2016, 05:22 PM

To paraphrase a certain fictional character, Worst. Keynote. Ever.

I used to be a full on iPhone/iPod/Mac/iTunes Appleist, my computer now is a Macbook Pro. Ive never owned a Windows PC. This whole show today is a big meh from me. Nothing actually new on show, there's a software update for Apple TV, a smaller iPad Pro, and a 'new' iPhone which is a year old iPhone (6/6S) in a 4 year old shell (iPhone 5). That is not keynote stuff. They have released bigger stuff than that with a website update and no show.

Meh.

I might actually consider Windows (gulp) for my next computer. I am disappoint.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
No more hideous iPhone5C.

Camera bulge on iPad now? *sigh*
I think the 5C went away in September.

Camera bulges do suck... I think it actually bothers me more on an iPad, since I keep mine naked.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 05:31 PM

So just because Apple doesn't announce a new Mac, people think it's "abandoned"?

WWDC is in June.

Do you even read this? Apple Products Buyer's Guide | When to Buy Apple

Both 27" and 21.5" are listed as "BUY". The last 21.5" iMac came out in October? You want a new one already?

Also, the event was at the Town Hall. Did anyone really expect something earth-shattering?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
To paraphrase a certain fictional character, Worst. Keynote. Ever.

I used to be a full on iPhone/iPod/Mac/iTunes Appleist, my computer now is a Macbook Pro. Ive never owned a Windows PC. This whole show today is a big meh from me. Nothing actually new on show, there's a software update for Apple TV, a smaller iPad Pro, and a 'new' iPhone which is a year old iPhone (6/6S) in a 4 year old shell (iPhone 5). That is not keynote stuff. They have released bigger stuff than that with a website update and no show.

Meh.

I might actually consider Windows (gulp) for my next computer. I am disappoint.
Been doing some introspection lately about how i think about Apple now compared to 5, 10 years ago.

It has definitely changed. I dont think i even bothered watching a keynote last year. The last time i remember being remotely interested was the iPhone 5 introduction, and the new Mac pro.(neither of which i ended up buying).

To contrast that, i remember ordering the first unibody AL MacBook in 2008 the day they were availible, got an iPhone the first chance i had, and got the first iPad on launch day. I can't tell if it's Apple that has changed so much or me just getting older, or maybe both?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think the 5C went away in September.

Camera bulges do suck... I think it actually bothers me more on an iPad, since I keep mine naked.
Regarding 5C, didnt even notice it back then.

@bulge... looks even bigger

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 05:58 PM

Been doing some introspection lately about how i think about Apple now compared to 5, 10 years ago.

It has definitely changed. I dont think i even bothered watching a keynote last year. The last time i remember being remotely interested was the iPhone 5 introduction, and the new Mac pro.(neither of which i ended up buying).

To contrast that, i remember ordering the first unibody AL MacBook in 2008 the day they were availible, got an iPhone the first chance i had, and got the first iPad on launch day. I can't tell if it's Apple that has changed so much or me just getting older, or maybe both?

It's a little bit of everything. Apple has changed. We all change as we grow older. And the computer industry as a whole has changed. Everything is already pretty great, so that really makes new things less interesting.

P
Mar 21, 2016, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
So just because Apple doesn't announce a new Mac, people think it's "abandoned"?

WWDC is in June.

Do you even read this? Apple Products Buyer's Guide | When to Buy Apple

Both 27" and 21.5" are listed as "BUY". The last 21.5" iMac came out in October? You want a new one already?

Also, the event was at the Town Hall. Did anyone really expect something earth-shattering?
iMac isnt due for an update. 27" doesn't have anything better to update to, and 21.5" only just got a possible upgrade. No, the ones to upgrade would be the laptops, 12" and 13" anyway. 15" I think will get AMDs new Polaris-generation GPU, and those aren't quite out yet, but the other two are overdue.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 07:16 PM

Coff... Power Mac... Coff...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 07:29 PM

iMacs? Really? They should just dump that line, MBPs are the only Macs that matter anymore.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2016, 07:48 PM

I have a 5S. I was waiting until today before upgrading. The buyers site says BUY! The Mrs will be getting my 5S and I'm contemplating a 6S+. Is it better to go with Verizon or Apple's device payment plan?. It's ≈$5 a month more for iPhone Forever™ but that includes Apple care. I can use the $100 a month incentive on my wife's line on my line. (for upgrading from a basic phone)
45/47

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
iMacs? Really? They should just dump that line, MBPs are the only Macs that matter anymore.
Yes. REALLY. It's the one I use all the time, a MBP doesn't have the ports I need. I'd never give up an iMac for a MBP.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
iMac isnt due for an update. 27" doesn't have anything better to update to, and 21.5" only just got a possible upgrade. No, the ones to upgrade would be the laptops, 12" and 13" anyway. 15" I think will get AMDs new Polaris-generation GPU, and those aren't quite out yet, but the other two are overdue.
I pay zero attention to laptops.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 09:35 AM

I've been asleep a while, and yesterday's even put me asleep again.

imnsho Apple should lower prices on iPads and iPhones - get rid of that idiotic 16GB level and make them 32s only at the same price. And in the name of all things holy - get rid of that camera bulge!

"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 10:15 AM

Regarding 5C, didnt even notice it back then.

@bulge... looks even bigger
I know some people take pics on their iPads, but I have to think that it's uncommon enough that putting a camera buldge on there seems like the wrong trade-off. It makes sense on an iPhone, because I bet that for every iPad photo that exists in the world, there are 100,000 iPhone pics.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I have a 5S. I was waiting until today before upgrading. The buyers site says BUY! The Mrs will be getting my 5S and I'm contemplating a 6S+. Is it better to go with Verizon or Apple's device payment plan?. It's ≈$5 a month more for iPhone Forever™ but that includes Apple care. I can use the $100 a month incentive on my wife's line on my line. (for upgrading from a basic phone)
I went with the 64GB 6S plus. I never came close to using the 64 gigs on the 5S so I saw no need for 128. Now the task is setting up family sharing yadda yadda.
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 10:40 AM

Yes. REALLY. It's the one I use all the time, a MBP doesn't have the ports I need. I'd never give up an iMac for a MBP.
Oh, you're the guy who's ordering them? They sell what? 20 a month now?

(yeah, I'm exaggerating, maybe a little.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I've been asleep a while, and yesterday's even put me asleep again.

imnsho Apple should lower prices on iPads and iPhones - get rid of that idiotic 16GB level and make them 32s only at the same price.
Keeping them at 16GB got them an extra $200 from my wife and I. She doesn't take many pictures or have much music and she kept bumping up against the 16GB limit on her 5s.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 10:50 AM

16GB is simply no longer acceptable.

andi*pandi
Mar 22, 2016, 10:57 AM

16gb sucks.
when you're taking pictures and you are told you have no more space...
then by the time you have deleted some app or pictures you don't need, the special/cool moment is gone.

It's why I still bring a standalone camera to important events.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
16gb sucks.
when you're taking pictures and you are told you have no more space...
then by the time you have deleted some app or pictures you don't need, the special/cool moment is gone.

It's why I still bring a standalone camera to important events.
I bought an Samsung HD camcorder for the same reason. $250 with a HCSD card slot. I bought a 64GB card that will hold over 4 hours of video The optical zoom and powered IS will never be on a smart phone. I also have a Minolta DiMage Z1 that takes excellent pictures 10X optical zoom that is the equivalent of a ginormous 35mm lens. I was told I couldn't take into a concert because it was a "professional" camera. I use them when we go to weddings or other special events when I want to be sure to properly capture an event without risking running out of memory. I was at an outdoor event a couple of years ago during July here in Phoenix. I didn't have my camcorder yet and was using my iPhone to record video. It shut off because it overheated!
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2016, 12:08 PM

But can your camera take vertical video?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
But can your camera take vertical video?
My brother asked why the manufacturers haven't made it so no matter what way you hold the phone it records in landscape mode. Maybe it can be made an optional setting.

45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2016, 04:22 PM

iMacs are still a great seller. They are way cheaper than a similar spec laptop and come with that lovely big screen
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Keeping them at 16GB got them an extra $200 from my wife and I. She doesn't take many pictures or have much music and she kept bumping up against the 16GB limit on her 5s.
It's also a way to push people into paying for extra iCloud storage!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2016, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Oh, you're the guy who's ordering them? They sell what? 20 a month now?

(yeah, I'm exaggerating, maybe a little.)
"We've been impressed by Apple's Mac sales throughout 2015 and last quarter of 2015 didn't disappoint. Apple sold 5.709 million Macs, making revenue of $6.882 billion. This represents astonishing growth in a market that keeps contracting, at least for other PC manufacturers."

Apple Q1 2016 financial results - News - Macworld UK

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2016, 06:48 PM

The iMac is the only desktop computer worth buying for 99% of desktop customers at this point.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2016, 08:22 PM

The integrated screen feels super wasteful to me.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 10:59 PM

What's wrong with a nice screen?

If one is a student or needs a work machine with them at all times, they need a laptop.
If one is a professional who absolutely needs horsepower, they get a Pro.
If they need a dedicated HTPC/media server or something that gets hooked up to a TV, they get a mini.
If they need a gaming machine, they get a PC/hackintosh or console unless they're stupid.
If they need something reasonably priced that does pretty much everything at a reasonable level with a beautiful screen that you put on an actual desk and don't need to hunch over on your lap, killing your back and neck?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2016, 11:20 PM

My mother loves the mid 2007 20" I gave her when I upgraded to a 27"
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
What's wrong with a nice screen?

If one is a student or needs a work machine with them at all times, they need a laptop.
If one is a professional who absolutely needs horsepower, they get a Pro.
If they need a dedicated HTPC/media server or something that gets hooked up to a TV, they get a mini.
If they need a gaming machine, they get a PC/hackintosh or console unless they're stupid.
If they need something reasonably priced that does pretty much everything at a reasonable level with a beautiful screen that you put on an actual desk and don't need to hunch over on your lap, killing your back and neck?
Computers and monitors improve asymmetrically. Getting rid of one because the other needs upgrading is wasteful, no?

A Mini attached to a monitor seems less wasteful, if less elegant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2016, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
My mother loves the mid 2007 20" I gave her when I upgraded to a 27"
She's being nice and not telling you it forces her to squint.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2016, 12:52 AM

The integrated screen is super useful for me.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2016, 12:53 AM

The integrated screen is super useful for me.
In what way?

Forum Links
Forum Rules