Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > If you like polls.

If you like polls.
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 10:42 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...oll/index.html

Bush is increasing his lead over Kerry.
Time for desperation yet people?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2004, 11:01 PM

FOUR MORE!

Then we'll have to elect Jeb. *sigh*

I hope I live long enough to see Jenna in the White House

PacHead
Baninated
Apr 19, 2004, 11:10 PM

I can already picture in my head, the whining that various whiners will whine about once Bush wins.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
FOUR MORE!

Then we'll have to elect Jeb. *sigh*

No, no, no... I have a dream. Powell and Rice in `08.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Jameson?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...oll/index.html

Bush is increasing his lead over Kerry.
Time for desperation yet people?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...441&perpage=50

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Kerry might win the popular vote but he will lose the election. This is a republic, not a democracy that elects our president. The elctoral votes will take GW into the Whitehouse once again. Deal with it.

That is all you need to know. Now, and then.

posted by ghost_flash:

Stop acting like an idiot then.

Posted by SimeyTheLimey:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=207576

Polls before elections are volatile... Anyone who thinks that they can extrapolate a trend from poll numbers is a fool or just hasn't lived through enough elections.

I realize that coaches throughout the country recommend trash talk as a way to psych out the other team. But that's all this is. You will just have to wait until November like the rest of us.

Hehehe...

Nuff said. I don't have to say anything about this poll.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
[B
Posted by SimeyTheLimey:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=207576

Polls before elections are volatile... Anyone who thinks that they can extrapolate a trend from poll numbers is a fool or just hasn't lived through enough elections.

I realize that coaches throughout the country recommend trash talk as a way to psych out the other team. But that's all this is. You will just have to wait until November like the rest of us.
[/B]
The above is perfectly true and I stand by it. We all have to wait until November.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
No, no, no... I have a dream. Powell and Rice in `08.
Like the Republican Party will nominate minorities run?

Come on...

That's like Hitler naming Anne Frank his successor. Just a bit fictious.

Not like the Democrats are closer to allowing that.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 11:49 AM

Can you all understand the title of my post?

"If you like polls". This is an exclusive sentence. I don't, and Hy... just expressed how I feel. Gosh, thanks.

::: Smackdown :::

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
And why wouldn't they? Honest question. If they were truly as racist as you claim, they wouldn't have installed Rice and Powell into the high offices they currently hold. Is the Presidency really that far of a stretch from there?
Come on... That's like Hitler naming Anne Frank his successor. Just a bit fictious.
Godwin's Law.

On a more serious note, don't you think that's just a little bit of an exaggeration? Wouldn't it be something if the Republicans, held up by their opposition as "the enemies of minorities" turned out to propel the first minorities into the Oval Office?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 12:07 PM

eh. still 50/50

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
And why wouldn't they? Honest question. If they were truly as racist as you claim, they wouldn't have installed Rice and Powell into the high offices they currently hold. Is the Presidency really that far of a stretch from there?

Godwin's Law.

On a more serious note, don't you think that's just a little bit of an exaggeration? Wouldn't it be something if the Republicans, held up by their opposition as "the enemies of minorities" turned out to propel the first minorities into the Oval Office?
Perhaps, but Rice and Powell are nothing more than talking heads. They have no REAL power. Powell is ignored most of the time and Rice just does whatever Bush tells her to. Prove me wrong.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
Rice just does whatever Bush tells her to.
Psst! You got that line backwards. Remember, it's supposed to be Bush who is dumb and manipulated by his staff, not the other way around.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 12:30 PM

Perhaps, but Rice and Powell are nothing more than talking heads. They have no REAL power. Powell is ignored most of the time and Rice just does whatever Bush tells her to. Prove me wrong.
Last I checked, the burden of proof was on the accuser, wasn't it?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 12:33 PM

Come on...

That's like Hitler naming Anne Frank his successor. Just a bit fictious.

Not like the Democrats are closer to allowing that.
I'll bet you $500 that the first black person elected President of the USA will be a Republican.

And BTW, I know just as many Dems that are racist as there are Republicans. Party affiliation means zero.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 12:35 PM

and tell me how that's different from others who have held those positions? But, then, we don't attend the cabinet meetings so we don't know jack.
- Thomas Paine

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 12:36 PM

Last I checked, the burden of proof was on the accuser, wasn't it?
Ok, they based the war on eliminating WMDs. They never existed.

That was easy.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 12:37 PM

That was easy.
Which has nothing to do with what you previously said. PROVE that Rice and Powell aren't speaking from their own hearts. Prove it.
- Thomas Paine

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2004, 02:23 PM

That was easy.
That is what you call proof? of what?

That was easier.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I'll bet you $500 that the first black person elected President of the USA will be a Republican.

And BTW, I know just as many Dems that are racist as there are Republicans. Party affiliation means zero.
Simply because the Republican platform has always relied on a strong conservative population who won't at any point in the future go for such a thing.

That would be suicide.

The offices that Rice and Powell hold were rather stratigic. Most conservatives aren't that uptight about minorities in power, but it seriously helped the Republican image.

But the Republicans are *never* going to give up that solid base that they consistantly hold. It's to large, and to powerful ($$$) to sacifice. They will never give up such a large funding body like that.

The Republicans thrive off of the conservative platform, which won't allow it. While the Republicans want to gain other parts of the voting public, they aren't going to sacrifice the one thing they are guaranteed.

Many analyists feel Powell being guaranteed a spot in a 2nd terms cabinet prior to the election won't be done because of this. Powell himself has said he serves "at the will of the president".

I will pridict that both will have a white female within the next 4 elections, most likely less than 4 (1-2) though no "catfight" (women on both parties) for at least a few more.

Republican party in the past 50 years became the haven of many segregationist, and other extremist parties that have disbanned prior. In many cases quite wealthy groups I might add.

No way in hell they are going to give up all that. Especially since a minority vote isn't worth that high of a percentage to begin with.

So no... Republicans will not commit suicide. Why would they? They gain nothing, and loose everything. They aren't stupid enough to sacrifice their primary funders for a minority audience. You don't give up a 10%+ voter base to gain a 2%+.

No, they aren't stupid enough to do that. No question about it. They aren't stupid, and the do their math before hand.

Smaller parties would jump at the idea. Get someone well known, and a budget, and you can secure the minority vote, and swing the election how you wish should it be close enough.

But the Republican will *not* commit suicide like that.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 03:00 PM

Err, why won't the conservative platform allow it? The first black Congressman was a Republican as was the first black US Senator.

If you're claiming that the majority of Republicas are racist, then I hope you have proof to back that up.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 04:17 PM

wow, macvillage.net - that was 100% BS....an improvement over the usual 99.5% BS, I'll say that.

Conservatives don't care what color their messengers are.

finboy
Apr 20, 2004, 04:26 PM

Simply because the Republican platform has always relied on a strong conservative population who won't at any point in the future go for such a thing.

Does calling someone else a racist make one a racist? Isn't that called "projecting" or something? Is suddenly calling a group of people racist an OK thing to say?

I know lots of conservatives and Libertarians, but I can't think of any who are racists. None of my friends consider the color of one's skin to be any more important than their shoe size. No one I know believes in dividing people into little groups so they can be manipulated by vague generalizations and class envy.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2004, 04:43 PM

OK, allow me to rephrase. If conservatives are as racist as you claim, then yes, this would be a problem.

I maintain, however, that conservatives have been unfairly maligned, and that a potential Powell/Rice (or the other way around, even?) ticket would stand to prove it.
Republican party in the past 50 years became the haven of many segregationist, and other extremist parties that have disbanned prior. In many cases quite wealthy groups I might add.
If this is true, then it is far more recent than 50 years: their former home was actually with the Democrats.

For that matter, the Republicans alienated the segregationist and extrimist parties long ago. Check out, for example, the Constitution Party (an insult to the document they take their name from if ever there was one); these guys deride Pat Buchannan as too liberal, and even Buchannan was alienated by the Republicans long ago.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 04:45 PM

The election is a long way off. Polls mean little at this point. Just look at Howard Dean: polls had him the front runner for ages before an actuaal vote.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 05:13 PM

just a quick note...

when polls show the Republican trailing the Democrat by 3-5%, you can bet your ass the official ballot count will find the Republican ahead of the Democrat. This holds true for any election-related poll, local or national. I see it all the time.

It's as if Democrats are quick to say they'll vote for the Democrat - but on election day they stay home and grill some steaks and drink beer - and watch the Republican win.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Apr 20, 2004 at 05:20 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 05:26 PM

Actually I wonder if, on a national scale, the electoral college has quite a bit to do with that phenomenon as well. Certainly I can see voters in certain states staying home because their states aren't 'in play' anyway.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 05:30 PM

I didn't say ALL conservatives, YOU did.

I said there's a conservative base, that opts against minorities in power.

That's also why Bush is so vocal against scholarships for minorities, funding schools in minority neighborhoods, healthcare for the poor, and affirmative action.

He's pleasing his constituants. The same ones who hate homosexuals.

There's exceptions in every case, but Bush's platform is based on the very core of the Replublican platform.

Look at the the individuals who are invited to Bush's campaign fundraises, as well as any other Republican fundraiser.

There's no question they are attempting to win, and no question they are pleasing this part of the conservative base.

Bush executes one person, as govenor before he wins the presidency, and his rating goes down. Executes a black guy, and it goes up.

Bushes high profile executions, and media blitzes around the latter when campaigning weren't coincidence. They were predicted by presidential campaign analysts months before he even won the Republican nomination.

Bush did what gave him the upper edge. The Republican party will do the same.

And if you read my post, you see that I said the Democrats were no better. They typically just go for holes in the conservative base that the Republicans miss, and and those who don't like the Republican presidential nominee.

Remember both are considered conservative parties. None is considered more liberal than another.

itai195: You may want to go back to that link you posted in a thread a few months ago (and I just so happened to bookmark because I found it interesting and relevent to a paper I was writing and left your screenname in the bookmark title):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...tates_Congress

Do a tally. Then look at how many candidates lost the elections, and do another search on the margin in which they won. Also look at the states, and look at what are republican strongholds, and what are democrat strongholds, and what tend to sway from decade to decade.

Republicans do what they need to win. It won't be putting a minority in the Whitehouse. Bush since he first entered the political life has been a major bread winner with his anti-minority actions. Each time he does something that harms a minority community, his public approval goes up.

Last time he needed a good boost, he finally unveiled that Anti-Affirimative Action case (which was rumored for over a year even citing the university).

Bush's campaign managers aren't stupid. They know what brings in the campaign money, they know what got him in office, and what will keep him there.

They aren't going to shoot themselves in the food. Bush has proved to be their strongpoint. The further Bush goes, the better he does. Why would they turn around?

All it takes is a few strongly opinionated ex-segregationists (remember despite denial later in his life, Strom was one of them) with a wallet. They went republican, and with enough money, and businesses that can donate... they make it happen. They love Bush, and Bush loves their support and money.

There's no way the Republicans are going to turn away what has put Republicans in office for years.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Actually I wonder if, on a national scale, the electoral college has quite a bit to do with that phenomenon as well. Certainly I can see voters in certain states staying home because their states aren't 'in play' anyway.

excellent point.

seriously, though, I'm not imagining this. I see it all the time, more often than not. It's to the point where I figure the Republican is leading unless he's 6% behind the Democrat in the polls.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2004, 05:34 PM

There's no way the Republicans are going to turn away what has put Republicans in office for years.

um, the Democrats get nearly all the "Bubba" vote. You know, the white southern cross-burners.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 05:55 PM

Spiff?

WTF? Who says it's southerners? Some of the most horriffic examples of racism in modern times have taken place in what's considered the "north" (most include LA, which is pretty far south, so I add the '"').

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 06:45 PM

April has been a god awful month for Bush. Economy taking another dive. Unemployment rising again. Gas prices high. More and more people now disagreeing with the war with Iraq. More people and more people disapproving of the job Bush is doing. Wait, for May's poll. You'll see Bush approval rating going the lowest it ever has, probably close to 45%.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules