Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Mass. approves gay marriage ban, legalizes civil unions

Mass. approves gay marriage ban, legalizes civil unions (Page 3)
Montezuma58
Senior User
Apr 3, 2004, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
If it doesn't hurt hetero marriages, how could it possibly hurt society?
Sales of Zima&trade will skyrocket and more people will listen to show tunes.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
If it doesn't hurt hetero marriages, how could it possibly hurt society?
The real answer, is that it doesn't.

It's about as pathetic of a myth as Homosexuals, Blacks and Athiests spreading Cancer and AIDS. It's a bogus myth with no *real and solid* basis. Oh, what are the other bogus myths these people tell us: "Jews control the media", "Mexicans ruin the economy", "The Chineese plan to take over the US by outnumbering us through reproduction"...

and all the Other BS stuff that they manage to find people with PhD's to back. All of thse are rather bogus, and fictional, yet they look until they find some bigot with a degree to sign off on it, then pass it on as fact.

IF it were all true, we'd all be communist spies, and the US would have been invaded by the British, Nazi's, and Russians already.

It's just another McCarthy era... nothing more to see.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
What part of *IF* didn't you understand?

You are beating a dead horse...there is no justification. You are the one trying to justify the shortcomings of real marriages to allow gays to justify their lifestyle. So tell me this...are you saying gays should be allowed to marry because they will help to further represent the negative aspect of normal marriages?
No, I'm exploiting the fact that you're willing to ignore negative aspects of straight marriages to deny homosexual ones.

I gotta ask, how does not having kids become a negative aspect of marriage?
Also, wouldn't raising kids be more important?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Dakar:
No, I'm exploiting the fact that you're willing to ignore negative aspects of straight marriages to deny homosexual ones.

I gotta ask, how does not having kids become a negative aspect of marriage?
Also, wouldn't raising kids be more important?
The amount of kids raised in homes with 1 parent is MUCH higher than it was 20 years ago. I know for people my age (around 20), when I was in HS, a class survey showed only 2-5 out of 20-25 had both biological parents still married. That's a middle-upper-middle class neighborhood. Not a poor neighborhood like conservatives claim.

And I know many who have similar stats from when they were in school in recent years. Covering all income ranges, and areas. Some more dramatic than others, but it averages about 50-75% depending who you ask.

They say most marriages also fail within the first year citing recent data.

Fact is, more and more people grow up without 2 parents. It's at the point where it's considered the norm.

And of those who aren't separated, parents work enough so that a child is mainly raised by 1 person (who may be nothing more than a nanny). I know I was mainly raised by my mother. My father worked in the city all day. Up and out of the house before I woke up, and came home after I was in bed. When I was really young, I saw him mainly on weekends. The only time we were both awake in the same place at the same time. And I'm far from alone with that.

According to conservatives, all these children (the majority born after 1980) are criminals since they weren't raised properly with 2 parents.

Go figure.

Psychologists have found that a child needs nothing more than a *stable nurturing environment* to thrive. It doesn't even need to be a biological parent. Children mainly have problems when suffled around (bad divorses for example), and are ignored. This is why most states child protection services are trying to limit how much a child in state custody is moved. It used to be every couple months. Now they try to limit it to once or twice if they can. Because that instability causes severe problems.

That's also why inner city schools are spending so much time/effort getting programs together to provide a contact person for every child who doesn't have a stable home. Because it's proven that if a child has 1 adult they can rely on consistantly, they tend to do much better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules