Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Opinion: Is the Apple Watch a hit or a miss?

Opinion: Is the Apple Watch a hit or a miss?
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 10, 2014, 08:03 AM

With Apple finally taking the wraps off the long anticipated Apple Watch people have already started to ask whether it is a hit or a miss. While we will reserve our final judgement on the Apple Watch until we are able to put it through some extensive testing, Apple gave the device comprehensive coverage during its September 9 event coupled with lots of information about the Apple Watch on its redesigned website. There is probably enough evidence out there in the cold light of day to start formulating some early thoughts on the device.

Recently I wrote that about why the Apple Watch will be a success and Apple has ticked many of the boxes that I expected it would ahead of its reveal. This includes the extensive thought put into its design, its precision engineering, the apparent depth and polish of the software experience, its integration with the Apple ecosystem and that health would be a strong focus for the device. I also said that it would be the embodiment of Apple's post-PC paradigm, which is all about making personal computing more personal than ever before. In these areas, the Apple Watch certainly hits the mark.

The Apple Watch is beautifully designed and engineered in the typical way that we expect Apple to execute a consumer electronics device. It has been carefully crafted and with such high quality materials, its slightly higher starting price of $349 compared to the current Android Wear competition is justified. Perhaps its greatest achievement from a design perspective, is that the one watch module can be both masculine or feminine, depending on how it is mixed and matched with the multiple watch bands and OS-based watch faces. Apple's metallurgists have not only chosen high quality materials, through clever engineering they have optimized the inherent qualities of the steel, aluminum and gold, as well as glass, sapphire crystal and ceramics, so that each are as durable as they are captivating in implementation.

The Apple Watch operating system looks to be highly evolved and fluid, making the current state of Google's Android Wear wearable OS look very much like a placeholder by comparison. It provides for a seamless transition from the design of the device to the way that users will interact with it in a way that only Apple can achieve, controlling both the hardware and software engineering as it does. In addition to the all the typical functions that we have come to expect from smartwatches, including being able to tell the time, receiving and responding to notifications (email, sms, phone calls etc), and track health activities, it delivers some unexpected and delightful ways of communicating with people. Taking advantage of its Taptic Engine, Apple Watch users will be able to communicate with gestures, tapping, and drawing while also even being able to share one's heartbeat.

Although technical details around the Apple Watch's internal components are currently scant (no one has yet been able to x-ray its chips), Apple has revealed that the S1 Apple custom-designed chip fits an entire computer system on a single die, which it says is an industry first. This is also completely encapsulated in resin helping to protect the system from, one presumes, dirt and water should it somehow makes it way past the external housing. Another headlining technical innovation is the Digital Crown, which while mimicking the crown on traditional watch, is anything but traditional in its function. Cleverly, this is used to zoom in and out of the Apple Watch, without obscuring content with your fingers, while it also doubles as a Home button. The intriguing Taptic Engine, which is a finely tailored actuator for delivering more finite control over feedback than similar controllers, also helps to differentiate the Apple Watch.

From a health tracking perspective, there is no doubt that the combination of the iPhone 6, in particular, with the Apple Watch makes for a solid combination. However, this is where it seems that the Apple Watch misses the target somewhat. As Apple itself highlighted, the iPhone 6 with its new barometer, coupled with its GPS functionality, accelerometer, gyroscope and the new M8 Motion Coprocessor makes for a very effective fitness tracking device on its own. The only major additional health tracking function that the Apple Watch offers is a, albeit highly sophisticated, heart rate monitor that utilizes both infrared, visible-light LEDs and photodiodes. However, the Apple Watch does not (as it stands) appear to offer any worthwhile offline functionality. While it looks to have more advanced health tracking software than any other smartwatch on the market, a lot of people that go running aren't going to get a lot more from the Apple Watch/iPhone combination than they might by just taking their iPhone with them, or another fitness tracking device and no iPhone.

The other major question mark hanging over the Apple Watch is its battery life. Even though it appears that the Apple Watch display is not 'always-on,' (which is a key selling point of Android Wear devices), Apple did not reveal its anticipated battery life. While one might argue that the Apple Watch is not due until early 2015 and that there is still plenty of time left for Apple to further refine and optimize the Apple Watch software, Apple's silence on the subject did not go unnoticed. Thankfully, the Apple Watch uses inductive charging and a charging dock accessory, in addition to the MagSafe adapter Apple revealed, will make life easier in this regard. However, it seems that Apple won't be beating out the Android Wear competition, which are typically good for a day of use. How much people interact with their Apple Watch will also affect its overall battery life, and until Apple provides further advice, it is anyone's guess as what sort of usage can be expected in real world contexts.

Is the Apple Watch a compelling product? In many ways, yes. It brings a tailored Apple smartwatch experience to iPhone users who have been very limited in their options until now. For better or worse, wearables are here to stay and will inevitably become an increasingly common part of our everyday lives. The level of personalization on offer through the wide array of model and style combinations is outstanding, with nothing else on the market coming close. Is it the breakthrough device that many were hoping it could be? Yes, and no. The Apple Watch offers many technical and design innovations that are currently unmatched by the competition. However, its present inability to work as a standalone device and knock out the competition on battery life, means that at this early juncture, this does not seem to be the case. Does this make the Apple Watch any less desirable? For many Apple fans, probably not. Everything else about the Apple Watch bears all the hallmarks of yet another Apple hit with early adopters likely to put the same level of faith in Apple that early adopters of the original iPhone did when it launched; it's easy to forget that the iPhone was not perfect when it launched either.

By Sanjiv Sathiah
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 14, 2014 at 07:23 AM. )

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 08:43 AM

Personally, I'm much more impressed with what we have seen of the aWatch (aWatch?) than I thought I would be. I really expected a big nothing. We won't know for sure until we actually start seeing them in use next year, but it looks attractive, the interface and controls look well-thought out, etc. I do think that it might look a lot "bulkier" on the wrist in-person than it appears in the media so far, but the nice curvy design might help mitigate that. Unfortunately, I have never liked wearing watches (I have a pocket-watch for those few times when I feel I wish to carry an actual watch), so I expect there will be no iWatch (oops, Apple Watch) in my own future. On the downside, by calling it something other than the iWatch, we can no longer refer to "iThings" or "iDevices" as a whole. Bummer. (Although I would be surprised if it doesn't become commonly known as the iWatch).

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2014, 09:17 AM

Cute. Stylish. Blew the competitors out of water on the charger (vs. Samsung which is a joke) and user interface (of course, it's Apple). Whether I am going to pay a $300 watch on top of my $400 iPhone 6 and my answer is NO (unless I find $400 of changes under my couch).

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 10, 2014, 09:51 AM

I hate to say it, but the last sentence in this article summarizes my feeling. The "never buy v1.0" rule comes into play for me, especially for a $350-$400 device. I'll see how this all shakes out come Christmas 2015.

Now back to that iPhone 6...

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 10:20 AM

The gold one is calling my name. But The price will be way beyond what I'm willing to pay especially after shelling out $400 for the Plus phone. And as cool as the watch is, I don't know that I'd use its features that much.

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 10:22 AM

I think Apple might have been misleading of maybe I havent gotten around to doing enough research. But when they said starting at $350... I immediately thought to myself... Thats for the small size basic one. I have a feeling the larger one will be no less than $450. And quite frankly given the crappy one Samsung came out with.. it would be well worth it.

Apple watch will change the landscape forever... we are just to ignorant right now to realize it. Potential is insane... case in point it will open hotel doors folks. Soon it will open and turn on cars much like the iphone etc etc.

bdmarsh
Sep 10, 2014, 11:38 AM

great v1 proof of concept, looking forward to version 2 or 3

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2014, 11:39 AM

Is the Apple watch a hit or a miss? Any headline in the form of a question is always answered "No!" Fortunately, most people who buy iPhones have the money for another toy. The Watch is very appealing and I want one but I don't wear a watch usually. I will likely get one each for my wife and myself and have a little fun with it. When I am through with it you can have it if you email me a: [email protected]

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 10, 2014, 12:07 PM

I'd say the aWatch is a complete miss. My only beef is because the *cheapest* watch is going to be $350 which still *requires* an iPhone. I mean, come on. The iPod Touches are cheaper and are fully functioning, self-sufficient internet devices... as well as almost half the cost!!! This marketing is completely illogical to me.

aardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2014, 12:14 PM

As far back as 2005, I posted somewhere that someday, whether people view it as something good or bad, we will be running our day to day lives through Apple devices. Getting closer to that dream (or nightmare, depending which way you lean) with the Watch. Can't wait to see what crazy ingenious apps independent devs can come up with.

FrackingCylon1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2014, 12:20 PM

While nicely designed, it just looks too thick to me. I know it's a lot of stuff to pack into such a small area, so it had to be thicker to hold all that computing power, battery, etc, but it's pretty thick. And then you have to take it off your wrist to charge it. We're used to that with our phones, but taking a watch on and off in the middle of the day could become a hassle.

I think I will wait for v2 or v3, if I ever decide to get one. As for the iPhone 6, well, I'm pre-ordering mine this Friday!

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2014, 12:51 PM

Unlocking hotel door is cool from the Watch. If an iPhone 6 can hold all of my credit cards, I am sure it can hold a hotel key as well. No need to unlock hotel door from my wireless nose ring.

jpellino
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2014, 12:52 PM

The unit is a great piece of work. No question. Far more functionality and forethought than any of the others. Much more than a leash to the rest of the ecosystem. The UI is completely new thinking and I expect a few MOTO and Android engineers will need a new punching bag soon.

Wondering why no one else ever thought of the pulse monitor there - after seeing it I can confirm that my lowly 4s with Azumio Heart Rate does pick up a pulse on my arm if you are very careful, so I can see why there are 4 apertures on the back instead of two. Heart rate dongles stink.

Issue 1: Price. Sorry, but $299 or less is commodity pricing, and as an accessory to my $199 phone, it should be no more than the phone (uber-bling versions notwithstanding).

Issue 2: Mobile devices have a great value as sleep-tracking devices, too bad this thing has to be charged while you sleep.
Just sayin'

ricardogf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2014, 01:25 PM

Terrible live streaming, butt-fuck ugly Watch, underwhelming iPhone updates (no sapphire, no haptic feedback, slightly better camera and still 1GB of RAM).

Surely the worst keynote ever.
Mac OS X: Because Windows Sucks

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2014, 02:16 PM

No iPhone costs $199. The minimum brand-new iPhone price is $450 (5c, and it's $549 for the 5s).

The Apple Watch is an accessory to your $450/$549 iPhone, not your $199 iPhone. Even the $199 on-contract iPhones cost at least $450 to fully own -- if you complete the contract, then you've paid for the balance of the subsidized price of the hardware. If you don't complete the contract, you pay an early termination fee which is close to the balance of the subsidized price.

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 10, 2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ricardogf View Post
Terrible live streaming, butt-**** ugly Watch, underwhelming iPhone updates (no sapphire, no haptic feedback, slightly better camera and still 1GB of RAM).

Surely the worst keynote ever.
Wow! Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but I'd imagine come Sept. 19, some 10-15 million people that day will show you how much they regard haptic feedback in their iPhone.

Here's the worst keynote ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcRHYEwtgQ

testudo
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2014, 03:03 PM

Seriously, my first thought on the whole iWatch thing has been "People still wear watches?". Then it goes to "Guys wear watches as jewelry, not utility". Heck, I haven't worn a watch for 20 years. My phone has a time on it, who needs it on your wrist?

And all the applewatch appears to be is a $400 device so you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 05:06 PM

Speculation prior to actually trying one is pretty much worthless. I don't wear a watch, I don't think I'd spend $350, I don't mind checking my iPhone 100 times a day ... but I have said this before, about a lot of things, and then changed my mind after I actually worked with the device. All those people who spent upwards of $200 on fitness bands ... for all the added functionality, this price may not be such a stretch.

Anyone remember the initial reactions to the iPod? The iPad? The iPhone?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2014, 07:40 PM

Apple Watches are stylish vs others are just gears from the sic-fi movies. When iPad first came out, it's like "what is it for?". Apple Watch could be a hit down the road (depends upon how our digital lifestyle had evolved) or just another Apple TV novelty.

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2014, 07:50 PM

@chas_m Rampant speculation is fun ya fuddy duddy.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2014, 08:00 PM

aWatch = aCraptastic
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2014, 05:50 AM

Truthsayer: sorry!

The more I really look at the presentation and dig into what is known about the device, the more impressed I am. People really take for granted the incredibly engineering that Apple routinely beats everyone else on. I'm still waiting to test one in person, but on second look I'm less skeptical (especially after having another look at the "competition").
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2014, 07:41 AM

All of those innovations count for nothing if they can't also beat the competition on battery life - Apple should hire some of Sony's engineers quick smart - they have more experience with smartwatches and getting maximum life out of them.

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2014, 07:59 AM

While most Android Wear watches are getting one day of battery life, the Sony Smartwatch 3 is apparently good for 2 to 5 days on a charge: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2363520/ifa-sony-smartwatch-3-hands-on-review

syzygi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2014, 08:30 PM

Watch itself is a knockout. The fact you REQUIRE an iPhone 6(+) to use it is not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules