Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Dedicated Apple II advocacy group releases IIgs OS 6.0.2 update

Dedicated Apple II advocacy group releases IIgs OS 6.0.2 update
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 19, 2015, 08:54 AM

Through third parties, Apple IIgs System 6 has been updated. Following a 22-year abandonment by Apple, the venerable Apple Pugetsound Program Library Exchange, originally formed in the late '70s, has rolled out the fix, which in addition to the bug fixes and changes, makes developers able to create better future updates and software for the computer.

Changes and updates include a fix for HFS disk corruption, inclusion of a new animation tool, a Font Manager bug resolution, removal of some bugs in the Window Manager, and corrections made to Pascal.FST and DOS33.FST. Additionally, an Ethertalk driver has been implemented for the unreleased Ethernet for Appletalk card.

The group calls the update a "proof-of-concept," proving that updates to the 16-bit 65c816 processor-based computer can be done. A 6.0.3 update is teased for "a month or so."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 2, 2015 at 07:18 PM. )

ricardogf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2015, 03:28 PM

Wonderful news considering the disaster called Tim Cook that we have at Apple - the IIGS was a wonderful machine that should have lived a lot longer than it did. Good job, guys!
Mac OS X: Because Windows Sucks

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2015, 03:28 PM

20 years ago, I'd have gone nuts for this. Apple's slow-death for ][ support was incredibly frustrating, while new Macs were released regularly.

If their 6.0.3 update patches QuickDraw for higher resolutions, it will make me dust off my //GS for testing. I have the Second Sight card, good for 1024 x 768. Awesome resolution in the 1990s.

I did download their 6.0.2 file.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by ricardogf View Post
the disaster called Tim Cook that we have at Apple
Considering where the Apple that built the //gs headed in the 90s, and where Apple has moved since Steve Jobs' death in 2011, and the fact that Cook has basically run Apple's operations for over a decade, that is probably the dumbest thing I'm going to read all week.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2015, 02:06 AM

I would love to discover the metric by which Tim Cook -- who, as Spheric has correctly pointed out, has been running Apple's day-to-day ops for a decade -- is "a disaster." ISTR that there has been no CEO of Apple -- ever -- who hasn't had some mistakes made in their term. Some people have a very rose-coloured view of the past, it seems to me ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules