Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > macOS High Sierra

macOS High Sierra (Page 4)
OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2018, 11:00 PM

That's the MacBook Air/MacBook effect: every time a co-worker brought one/brings one along, I get jealous. However, I recently started using a Mac Pro as my main machine (first a 2012 12-core, now a 2013 8-core), and the difference to a 2-core MacBook Pro is huge. When I peg two cores (e. g. by compiling a latex document which is a single-core task and use other things that occupy another cpu (such as play Youtube videos in Chrome)), on a 2-core machine, logically, the UI and everything else would feel like molasses. On the Mac Pros, some of the other unoccupied cores take over. This is literally the first desktop I am using (as my own computer) since 1998 when I got my first PowerBook. And now I'm ruined. (All of this is obvious, but I didn't think it'd make as much of a difference in practice as it does.)

But regarding the question of storage, I think ideally (and completely counter to Apple's current philosophy), they should have added a drive bay door and a way to upgrade the SSD. Making a Fusion Drive standard would have been a step in the right direction, but as someone who has run a Fusion Drive on my 15" MacBook Pro, if you start pushing it hard, all you get is the performance of a hard drive. A more flexible solution would have been better for customers, such as allowing user to upgrade the SSD and offer a drive bay for a spinning platter hard drive. Now I know that this wouldn't have happened in today's Apple, but it would have solved a lot of problems.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Feb 8, 2018, 05:06 AM

But what is the advantage for the consumer to have a drive bay over using an external drive?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Feb 8, 2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
But what is the advantage for the consumer to have a drive bay over using an external drive?
It is more reliable and neater.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
OK, I update to HS. I discovered the free Final Cut X (10.1.4) I got from my brother's mega purchase from Amazon is unusable. It looks like I will need to save my pennies and buy the latest version from the app store.
A little searching uncovered that Apple is going 64 bit only for Mac OS apps. FCX 10.1.4 is 32 bit app.
45/47

P
Feb 12, 2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It is more reliable and neater.
Reliable? You'd have to show some stats to back that up. Neater? Eh. Apple is cutting so many corners to make things thinner, they're not going to save space for a HDD bay that the vast majority of its users won't use.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2018, 03:43 AM

Reliable? You'd have to show some stats to back that up.
I don't have any stats, but it seems obvious: you don't have to deal with potentially failing power bricks and enclosures for external hard drives or lose cables. Would you disagree with that?
Apple is cutting so many corners to make things thinner, they're not going to save space for a HDD bay that the vast majority of its users won't use.
Agreed, I am not saying I expect it to happen, quite the contrary. But that doesn't mean Apple made the right decision for that sliver in the market.

P
Feb 13, 2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I don't have any stats, but it seems obvious: you don't have to deal with potentially failing power bricks and enclosures for external hard drives or lose cables. Would you disagree with that?
If it still had external power bricks, sure, but few modern drives do - certainly all 2.5" drives are buspowered and have been for years.

I don't think I've ever seen an external enclosure fail that wasn't related to the power supply in... ever? I know some people managed to get FW 400 ports in the wrong way with lots of force, but even that was decades ago.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Feb 17, 2018, 04:21 PM

Security Dialogs in HS. ie - when you click a padlock icon, or if the OS asks you for permission by itself. They come with the current username filled in, and a blank password field.

Even since upgrading to HS, cursor focus does not shift to the security dialog. In particular, focus doesn't shift to the password field. I always have to click over. This has held true for each point release, and for alt user accounts. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ham Sandwich
Mar 30, 2018, 11:08 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:46 AM. )

Ham Sandwich
Apr 1, 2018, 05:23 PM

[...deleted...]

reader50  (op)
Administrator
May 24, 2018, 12:24 PM

A news tidbit about APFS on Fusion drives has surfaced. Apple's chief of software engineering gave an email reply saying:
Hi Jonathan,
We intend to address this question very soon...
Thanks,
- craig
Technically, they could address it by dropping support. When they previously promised support. So it's not clear that it will be good news.

The 10.13.5 beta does not include support so far. Assuming fusion is still coming to APFS, it could be a feature Apple is holding back from the beta, or it might come in a 10.13.6 update, or may be held for macOS 10.14 / 11.0

Ham Sandwich
Jun 22, 2018, 11:45 AM

[...deleted...]

Forum Links
Forum Rules