Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Looking for good Wifi Analyzer App

Looking for good Wifi Analyzer App
phkc070408
Feb 10, 2018, 03:59 AM

My mother in law doesn’t have wifi in her aparment. When I’m at her place, I’m picking up a weak signal for a Comcast Hot Spot that I can log into using my account crudentials. The problem is I don’t know where the signal is coming from.

I tried walking around her place but the wifi is weak in all locations. Is there a good app that can display wifi strength in more details, or in units more precise than the three bars on my iPhone X? Maybe if I can find a suttle difference, it will clue me in as to where it is coming from, or where the best place to sit in her house is.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 10, 2018, 04:31 AM

I don't know about WiFi analyzer apps, but having the signal uniformly low throughout the apartment suggests it's distant, or that it originates on a different floor. Try walking around outside, especially using the stairs to check each floor.

It would be awkward if the best location is having the phone laying flat on the bathroom floor. Or held against the bedroom ceiling.

phkc070408  (op)
Feb 11, 2018, 01:13 AM

That's what I've been doing, but I'm still.strugling fo find the source.

Thanks for your help.

P
Feb 12, 2018, 08:00 AM

If you have a Mac, there is one built in. Hold option and click the Wifi menu in the menubar. Select "Open Wireless Diagnostics".

For iOS, I found this:

https://itunes.apple.com/se/app/wi-f...855457383?mt=8
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules