Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > ios 4x game discussion - Rebuild etc

ios 4x game discussion - Rebuild etc
subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2017, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
BTW, Framed was pretty fun, the levels get harder and more complicated. It looks like you can play it over and over but not sure how fun that will be, even if the puzzles are slightly different (panels that are static change each time, etc.)
Even though I've downloaded every frickin one since I started, I don't actually use any of them. I figure I have a nice, emergency stash of games, but the type of game I actually want (4X, or something equally complicated) doesn't get AotW love. Or iOS love for that matter.

I'm not much of an app ranger. I use the official Reddit app, Transit for public transportation, Waze for driving, GrubHub for food, Peapod for groceries, and, and... that's about it.

I use a couple default replacements (WeatherBug and PCalc), but I put those in a different category.

P
Aug 1, 2017, 01:10 PM

There is very little 4X on iOS. There is CivRev, a game called Rebuild which is pretty good, and Starbase Orion which is a MoO clone. Do you have any others?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2017, 03:12 PM

I'll try Rebuild... is that zombies?

Love Starbase Orion.

Civ Rev isn't bad, but is long overdue for a real overhaul.

Starbase Orion is too, I guess, but I cut one dude more slack than I cut EA.

P
Aug 2, 2017, 04:02 AM

Rebuild is restoring civilisation after a zombie attack. The first Rebuild is turn by turn - the sequel (called Rebuild 3 - I think Rebuild 2 was a straight port) is real time with free pause. I quite like it, although admittedly I have burned out on it by now.

Civ Rev got a sequel, Civ Rev 2, which got good reviews, but got critizied for not changing too much. I never actually picked it up. It is thankfully not EA. It's Firaxis which is owned by 2K these days. (They did make one game for EA a long time ago, though). I don't think Civ Rev gets updated continuously. It appears to be Sid Meier's private show, and that guy is in his sixties and mostly acts as a game designer emeritus at Firaxis to guide new developers into making games.

The Master of Orion license was sold after the THQ bankruptcy and is now controlled by WG Labs, mostly known for free-to-play games like World of Tanks. They made a relaunch which is basically MoO 2 with new graphics, and I was hoping for an iOS version, but it doesn't appear to be happening.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 11:46 AM

Whoops! My bad. Calling someone EA is a pretty low blow.

The reviews for Civ Rev 2 turned me off.

andi*pandi
Aug 2, 2017, 12:04 PM

Rebuild sounds fun, but looking at the app store it resembles simcity/farmville, but with zombies. Is that accurate?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 12:43 PM

What I know about the first game is:

Everybody says it's great.
I gather it's fundamentally about resource management.
What makes it stand out are the emergent moral decisions one has to make.

I never picked it up because it didn't look like it had enough fiddly bits. I like fiddly bits.

By way of contrast, Starbase Orion has the requisite ship design subsystem, and a friggin awesome automated build queue editor. To me, when done well, those types of things are often almost as fun as the game itself.

P
Aug 2, 2017, 05:30 PM

Rebuild is not SimCity. It is clearly a strategy game. It's not a strategy game that is going to match the full Civilization, or something like Crusader Kings or Europa Universalis, but it is strategy.

Basically, you control a few city blocks in a city that is mostly overrun by zombies, and only simple barricades separate you from the hungry hordes. You have a very small number of survivors that you can give jobs to make your little community grow. The basic jobs are soldier (defend the barricades or attack a nearby block to clear it from zombies, so it can be added to your settlement), builder (build barricades to enclose a previously cleared area, or convert buildings inside your territory), scavenger (scout the rest of the city for supplies - food, weapons, building materials), and leader (convince other survivors that you find to come join your settlement). Later on you can also assign scientists to research, engineers to build ammo and traps, teachers so your fresh recruits don't have to go out there unprepared, etc. The balance is to have enough space for people to live somewhere, food so they don't starve, entertainment so they don't pack up and leave, all while hopefully not dying from a zombie raid. Interspersed into this are little quest lines where you have to make decisions on all sorts of issues. I don't know that 4X is the perfect description either, but the sequel clearly moves in that direction, with a deeper tech tree and multiple other factions that you can communicate with. The sequel also has a campaign with hints of old RTSes like Starcraft. The only game it is similar to is a very old game called King of Dragon Pass, if you ever played that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The only game it is similar to is a very old game called King of Dragon Pass, if you ever played that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2017, 08:58 PM

I feel like there's actually some similarity between this type of game and old-school, rules-as-written D&D.

Few actually played it this way, but the best description I have for it is a logistics simulation. Exploration uses up torches and food. The more thorough the exploration, the more these supplies get used up, and the more likely the party attracts wandering monsters, which uses up your HP, spell slots, and red-shirted loot carriers. Need to rest to build HP and spells back up? Eat more food, use more torches, and expect a pile of wandering monsters outside the door.

P
Aug 3, 2017, 04:18 AM

That is not a bad analogy.

Of course Rebuild's logic is a bit twisted because they want to have living space as a limiting factor. An apartment building can house two people, IIRC, and the farms don't house anyone. OTOH, the farms do seem to produce enough food for a lot of people in the same limited space. It's still a fun game, though.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 02:45 AM

I have a chunk of time I can use for gaming coming up, and it's definitely on the list.

I'm also considering X-Com, which I keep putting off because the original is a "thing" for me.

Of course, replaying Baldur's gate is always a temptation, but that's a serious time investment.

P
Aug 4, 2017, 05:37 AM

The modern Xcom is a great game, and Xcom 2 is even better, but I have not played it on iOS.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2017, 02:34 PM

I have a feeling I'll enjoy it if I can get over the hump of starting. I loved, loved Deathwatch, and I get the impression it's something of a ripoff.

The original, though... like I said, that was a "thing". Certainly one of the best games ever made.

But as one reviewer who has played both pointed out, "yes the original was awesome, but you're going to have to accept gaming in 2015 isn't like gaming in 1995".

The reviewer goes on to argue this genuinely isn't a bad thing, but it's still going to take me work to get there.

And it's right about now I start looking at BG again... I'm not quite ready to solo, but I might try the whole thing with a Cleric, and have Imoen dual-class into a Wizard.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2017, 03:16 AM

Aaaand, I went Baldur's Gate.

Decided to go Pally. I'll see how far I can get without a cleric.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2017, 02:07 AM

Finally finished the ****er.

First time ever, and I've been playing it since the 90s. Lost count of how many times I started over. Did it twice this time alone, which is partially why it took so long. Could have saved two weeks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules