Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best way to go from DVD to mpeg1?

Best way to go from DVD to mpeg1?
C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 06:28 PM

It happens every couple of months: client calls up, needs their 30 second TV spot to present in PowerPoint for Windows, and needs it 10 minutes ago. We probably have the DVD master on hand, so I rip with Cinematize and convert to mpeg1 via Compressor.

Problem is that this isn't working anymore. Instead of a nice muxed mpeg1 file, I'm getting a 4 meg file of all black video, with an audio track. It used to work, but since we upgraded to Final Cut Studio HD, Quicktime 7 and Tiger, I just found out it's broken. Naturally, with a client screaming for their video.

So... anyone have a better way to go from DVD source to muxed mpeg1? Or advice about a universally "it just works" codec to encode for a Windows laptop toting marketing guy who doesn't know a .zip from an .avi from a hole in the ground? If they have to update windows codecs or otherwise lift a finger, their brains will melt. That's just how clients are.....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2005, 09:13 PM

Have a look at ffmpegX.

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 09:48 PM

I failed to mention that I did. Not bad, except I'm not able to get audio down from 224 kbs (every change I try ends up with no audio!), so I can't quite optimize the file size. It's what I ended up using, but I'm just wondering if I missed any better tools.

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 03:01 AM

I think your other options are to convert it in 2 stages...

1. Convert to a decent quality Quicktime with a free application 'Mpeg Stream clip'
http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

2. Then use another piece of software for creating the Mpeg1 from the Quicktime file... I'm curently looking at Compression Master which seems to get good reviews but it's some $495
http://www.popwire.com/product_info....&products_id=2

Mpeg 1 quality out of Compressor was so bad ... I reckon the above route will give much better results.

Steve

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 09:56 AM

This doesn't warrant another $500 investment. They can deal with clips with bloated audio for that price.

I've noticed one detail of my Compressor mpeg-1 problem- it doesn't as much stick on black as it does just stick the video on the first frame of the clip, which was black in my tests. And it's not just mpeg1 that's broken, I can't do Sorensen 3 encodes either.

I still want to know why mpeg1 isn't an Export option from Quicktime Pro. That would simplify things greatly.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 07:25 AM

You could also try to compress the audio separately and then muxing together with the video.

I don't know any applications that will compress to MP2 off to top of my head, but you could try compressing using the CLI mp2enc. It's installed along with ffmpegX in your Library/Application support/ffmpegX folder. The command is "mp2enc -b [bitrate] < input.wav -o output.mp2". If you need more help with the command line, just ask.

C.J. Moof  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2005, 08:11 AM

Thanks, that's another idea I'll keep in mind. I'm still hoping to find an answer to what borked my Sorensen and mpeg1 Compressor ouput- unlike Steve SpotOn, I never thought mpeg1 from Compressor was bad.... nobody ever complained, and the Cinematize -> ripped mp2 quicktime -> compressor droplet is a workflow I can train less technical staff on. mp2enc is finefor me, but nobody else.

Who knows what forums the FC Pro Studio HD professionals hang out on?

Forum Links
Forum Rules