Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Zips won't mount

Zips won't mount
tony.eastwood
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 10:58 AM

Mac 6116CD/MacOs 7.6.1

Externals: Printer via serial port, external modem, ethernet connection to iMac.

All was well until I disconnected everything to dust and stuff. I did everything the correct way. All machines shut down, all power off - when disconnecting and reconnecting.

SCSI termination on Zip Drive is on and SCSI ID set to 5. The trouble is that the green and orange lights on the drive are on and though I have reinstalled the Zip tools etc, they both remain on (not a flashing orange light I must say here) and no disks will mount. I had the installer on my HD, in case you were wondering.

I used SCSI probe to check but it does not find anything on the #5 SCSI ID, or anywhere other than the usual 1, 3 and 7.

Am I missing something obvious? Is the drive dead? It won't eject disks unless I disconnect its power source and reconnect it... it then spits the disk out. Could the SCSI cable have failed? Have I done something wrong?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks in advance

regards

Tony eastwood

reader50
Administrator
Jun 6, 2001, 12:31 PM

Unplug & replug the Zip's cables a few times (with the power off of course). This sounds like a little dust got in, and some pins aren't making clean contact.

The other possibility that comes to mind is your suggestion of a bad cable. A marginal cable might have had a conductor fail when you moved the cable around. But a poor connection still seems most likely.

tony.eastwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 12:53 PM

Thansks for the very speedy response.

I have tried the plugging and unplugging route as suggested but with no success. And I don't have a spare cable...

I thought this was the most likely cause (easy to say after your suggestion http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/smile.gif) but wanted to make sure I wasn't in one of those blind situations where the obvious was eluding me.

Many thanks... off to get a replacement cable.

Regards

Tony Eastwoodyour

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 09:21 PM

I agree that a bad connection is most likely to blame.

What other SCSI devices do you have? If you termination isnt in the correct place, or if it isnt working, this could be the problem.

good luck

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

tony.eastwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by capone:
<STRONG>I agree that a bad connection is most likely to blame.

What other SCSI devices do you have? If you termination isnt in the correct place, or if it isnt working, this could be the problem.

good luck</STRONG>
No other SCSI devices and I have triple, triple checked that all switches, termination or otherwise are set correctly.

Thanks for the confirmation. Still to get my cable.

Regards

Tony Eastwood

Forum Links
Forum Rules