Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple UK Ridiculous Delivery Times...

Apple UK Ridiculous Delivery Times...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 09:00 AM

I went to the Applestore.com/uk today to order an iPod for my Brother-in-law for Christmas on behalf of my sister...

I placed into the basket;

40g G4 iPod,
Nylon case,
Remote and headphones.

All were listed for dispatch within 24 hours.

I decided to have the iPod engraved, and expected a 5-7 day wait. Fair enough.

I called to check delivery times etc before I placed my order and was told that there was no way, even without the engraving, they could guarantee delivery before the 25th!

Insane!

I went to 6 other resellers, and they can all deliver the items (without engraving) within 24 hours to my doorstep.

Way to go Apple.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2004, 09:30 AM

There appears to be an iPod shortage here too. I was in a shop on Saturday, buying a radio, when I overheard a conversation next to me. The customer was trying to get a 40GB iPod for Christmas, no chance.

Bizarrely enough, it's often the Apple store feeling the pinch first if there are shortages. The resellers you've mentioned are selling from inventory ordered for the holiday season. The Apple store holds relatively little inventory and mainly sells from the production line.

Btw, you might like the radio I got. Tivoli Model One

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
There appears to be an iPod shortage here too. I was in a shop on Saturday, buying a radio, when I overheard a conversation next to me. The customer was trying to get a 40GB iPod for Christmas, no chance.

Bizarrely enough, it's often the Apple store feeling the pinch first if there are shortages. The resellers you've mentioned are selling from inventory ordered for the holiday season. The Apple store holds relatively little inventory and mainly sells from the production line.

Btw, you might like the radio I got. Tivoli Model One

Hi Mastrap! Thanks for the radio link! Looks very cool... been looking for one like that quite recently, and it may indeed fit the bill!

As for the iPod, I just called them, and they have said that they have stacks and stack of iPods in stock, but it is the shipping that is the problem... It is 'Apple UK's policy' not to offer anything apart from 7-10 business day shipping, with *no* guarantees!

Makes me wonder if they really want to sell them...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Hi Mastrap! Thanks for the radio link! Looks very cool... been looking for one like that quite recently, and it may indeed fit the bill!

As for the iPod, I just called them, and they have said that they have stacks and stack of iPods in stock, but it is the shipping that is the problem... It is 'Apple UK's policy' not to offer anything apart from 7-10 business day shipping, with *no* guarantees!

Makes me wonder if they really want to sell them...
Wow. That's unreal. I take it you went with an alternative supplier?

The Model One is fantastic. I am sitting here in our empty apartment (the container from the old country won't be here until January) and it manages to fill the room beautifully. Superb sound. Highly recommended.

Forum Links
Forum Rules