Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > They really should put that in the manual...

They really should put that in the manual...
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 06:03 AM

I have had my G5 since April, and it has always made a relatively loud fan noise when in use. Nothing dramatic, and after my Dual 800 and 867 machines, it was fine to me.

I then started to hear that most people G5s were pretty much silent, (Grr), and combined with a 'chirping' kind of noise now and again from the PS or fans i decided to investigate.

I checked Apple site and it tells you to remove the 3 plastic 'tags' from the inside of the door... Hmm, I have checked my manual and there is no mention of it.

Anyway, I have done it, and now, the machine is pretty much totally silent!! w00t!!

I was just wondering if there was any mention of these 'tags' in the newer G5 manuals, or is it just on the website?

Seems kind of an important thing to leave out...

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 08:40 AM

- Removed - my mistake
Strange it isn't in the manual.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 09:09 AM

this info?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86490
or is it someting else?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 09:10 AM

I think that's what he means

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 09:26 AM

Thats the info... definitely not in the paper manual.

Made a big difference too.

Weird.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Thats the info... definitely not in the paper manual.

Made a big difference too.

Weird.

Weirder. When I got my G5 a year ago it did have a separate piece of paper that instructed you to do just that.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 02:57 PM

It definitely is on my manual

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2004, 01:04 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is in my manual, too. Does anyone know why these pieces of tape are included during shipping? I hope Apple does not expect iMac G5 owners to do the same thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 01:09 AM

I remember reading about these strips before, and until now, I had completely forgotten to remove them. Glad I checked this thread.

That said, it doesn't seem to make any difference in the sound level of my machine. How strange that it would make such a difference in Placid's.

I have a Rev. b dual 1.8, by the way.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 03:13 AM

There's also a plastic strip that does nothing other than protect the numbers on the PCI slots, on the back of the computer. I bought mine second hand, and all the plastic strips were still in place !

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 01:14 PM

hmm, mine is no where near completely silent, where is the placement of yours?

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 05:59 AM

how silent is silent??

i have a rev B D1.8 and it aint silent! sits on top of desk next to me and the 2 large fans in front of the processors are constantly on, so there is noise, admittedly, it is a damn site quieter than my pc, but is by no means silent.

should these 2 fans always be on? the only time it gets really loud is if i take the plastic guard out and all the fans go crazy

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2004, 08:03 AM

No, G5s are not silent. They should be *fairly* quiet considering the number of fans and amount of heat dissipation going on inside.

I think a lot of us have upgraded from Quicksilvers and MDDs which were, on the whole, pretty loud. By comparison the G5s are refreshingly quiet. But not silent.

However if you boot a G5 in target disk mode (or if it kernal panics) so that the fan control subsystem is not operating, you'll hear just how loud a G5 can be. And it's loud.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 11:00 AM

My G5 (rev a 1.8) is not totally silent, but it is very quiet...

I can easily hear the HD read/write noise over the fans. On a day with very low ambient temps and only surfing and WP usage, the machine is *very* quiet, not totally silent, but not really noticeable at all. (It is at floor lev with nothing in front or behind of it at all, on a laminate wood floor.) Under heavy load, I do get some noise, but again nothing that stands out.

Compared to my PC, and other macs I have owned such as the dual 800 and dual 867, the lack of noise really is stunning...

Forum Links
Forum Rules