Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G3 Administrator Password

iMac G3 Administrator Password
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 10:15 AM

As some of you may know, I received a slot loading iMac g3 from a friend, it's got OS 9 on it. It obviously cam from a school because it's got "teacher" as the administrator. It automatically logs in as student, and I have no access to administrative privileges, and the display settings are all messed up and it won't give me access to the system control without being the teacher. I asked the guy and he said he didn't know the password, that he had just gotten it from someone who worked at the school. It did not come with any discs for OS 9, how do I override this and login as the teacher or as another administrator and delete the teacher? Am I better off buying iMac discs for my specs on ebay and reinstalling 9?

Thanks.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 11:24 AM

That is pretty much what admin is all about, no one else gets in. I would buy the System 9 disks. That machine will run OS X, any particular reason to stay with 9?

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 11:25 AM

Yeah, if you can get your hands on some OS 9 system install discs, I'd reintall the system, check the specs of the machine (ram, hd capacity, and speed), check that it has the lastest firmware and slap OS X on it and go from there.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 04:47 PM

Ok, I got a copy of jaguar, it's only got 64Mb ram though...
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2007, 04:52 PM

Even if you succeed, you will be miserable with 64 megs...!

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2007, 12:17 PM

I rummaged through some junk, and found a 128 stick and a 256 stick, I am using the 128 now, because I found it first, and when I am done installing Jaguar I will upgrade to 256.

Forum Links
Forum Rules